57th FIS Iceland, Phantom II F-4E, 1/48 Hasegawa

Only made 2 jets before, Sabre Dog and Harrier. But always wanted to do a Phantom, as I was used to see them in Keflavik "some years ago". This is the kit that has been longest in my "stash" since xmas 2013.

Decals are from Experts-Choice, Eduard seat belts and PE and I am waiting for Eduard wheels and canopy mask.

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

• Like 6

This is a good subject, I have always had a soft spot for the 57th FIS since I saw their two Phantoms in the static park at IAT Fairford in 1985. I think this was the only unit to operate the F-4E in 'ADC gray'.

Michael

• Like 1

Nice. I recall seeing and earlier model, I think it was either a C or D at Lakenheath with the whole fin in the checker pattern. It was done in 1/72n as a decal by Microscale way back in the early 1970's!!

• 2 months later...

Looking at the photos Paul posted, it looks like they didn't have the short antenna towards the back of that part.

Nice work by the way, the cockpit looks superb!

Sean

You need to remove the small bulges on top of the wings as well as those below. Also, remove the two lumps below the intakes and the three small ones on the port side of the nose (often missed by modellers).

Jens

thanks for advices Sean and Jens

I used the 1 piece canopy, forgot the gunsight :mental:, but the remembered before the glue was dry

bulges and lumps sanded off

hopefully ready for paint next weekend

IMG_8591.jpg

IMG_8604.jpg

• Like 2