Colourcoat Paints return.

Shar2

Good to see you up and running again, will now be able to restock some of my missing colours.

Good luck for the future of the business, hopefully we may see some new colours being produced.

• Like 1

I have brushed with Colourcoats before. A few things to consider:

Stir well. When you think you have stirred long enough, do it again.

Don't try to cover with one coat. I found that three or four thinned coats worked best. Colour density wasn't as opaque as the good ol' Humbrols of yore (what is these days?) , but it does build up.

Add a drop of Rustins Dryers to speed up drying time.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 2

I am lazy. I use one of these to mix all of my paints regardless of base or brand.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/kitchen/dp/B000BROV02

There is also an alternative to this by Trumpeter, recently purchased one and can recommend it, also available on ebay at better prices.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trumpeter-9920-Paint-Mixer-09920/dp/B0048FSA4G

• Like 1

Order handled, dispatched and then delivered the next day! No issues with packaging and the tins were undamaged. :coolio:

Great stuff, keep it up folks! :goodjob:

Mike.

Edited by MikeR
  • Like 1

Hi Mike,

I'm glad they arrived safely but have no idea how they got there so quick! We wont find out what Parcelforce invoice us for for another 4 weeks yet so I hope they're not all going on some superduper 24hr express service!

Got this idea from someone else years ago. I took the spiral wire off of the mixer that I purchased. I'd suggest trying it out with the wire first to see what it does to your particular paints. Works ok for me.

Ikea frother

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50301166/

I hope that you can get these paints over to Canada. I will eventually be needing some RAF WWII roundel colours when I can get my bench/work area back together.

Best of luck with this endeavor.

Edit for clarity.

Edited by Av8fan

Hi, I am new to this; I am in the USA; a friend of mine in the UK recommended this site. I am glad that he did. Anyway, I am delighted that the Colourcoats line has been bought, and is up and running. A battery-powered paint stirrer has been mentioned in this link; Micro-Mark here in the States also offers one. I received it as a premium for an over $40.00USD order. It works great. I have been waiting for a US distributor/seller since I discovered that Sovereign Hobbies bought the rights to the line. I was impressed with the line of colors for WW2 Japanese aircraft; the only other company to have that complete a line was Aero Master. I found only one website that offered them(can't remember the name); then I saw that WEM went under. I can hardly wait for them to be back here.

• Like 1

The first US shipment has arrived with its buyer. They're now sorting through it and updating their own site.

The owner is hopeful that there are still some customers out there after 6 months of absence and is working had to get ready to sell. It shouldn't take too long...

We updated our site yesterday for continental Europeans. NNT Modell + Buch is ready to go...

I hope that we can get them in Canada. They were scarce here before but I think that was due to some government problems, not the supplier.

I'm with Grant! We might be able to get them from the US, but a Canadian distributor would be absolutely first class. Well Done, Sovereign Hobbies!

Gary

IPMS Canada

IPMS Petawawa

IPMS Ottawa

IPMS Farnborough

Twinned with ACTSMS Canberra

(I've been around too long!)

• Like 1

Wow. The shipping rates are.... not what I expected. It works out at £1 per pot of paint, or 40% of the total cost. Ouch.

I'll have to go away and have a think about this.

Sorry about that. We're hoping that in time we can negotiate better rates when we have better understanding of the volumes we're sending.

If it helps, the price we have from Parcelforce is a flat rate for up 100odd tins worth so it's most cost efficient to wait until you need a bigger number and do it less frequently.

• Like 1

To Sovereign Hobbies: Who is the US buyer/distributor? You mentioned they just got their first shipment; it will be just a wee bit hard to order from them when one doesn't their name. Thanks! And, thanks again for keeping the line alive.

Hi,

They're still getting themselves ready. It's not intended to be cloak and dagger - just that they have a small staff and a live internet store and they figure they can get going faster if they're not answering lots of emails about when they're going to be ready. Well, that and receiving orders they can't process just yet I guess.

It will be announced by them as well as ourselves via our website, emailing list and Facebook page as soon as they tell us they're ready.

Sovereign did post this, bold mine:

Sorry about that. We're hoping that in time we can negotiate better rates when we have better understanding of the volumes we're sending.

If it helps, the price we have from Parcelforce is a flat rate for up 100odd tins worth so it's most cost efficient to wait until you need a bigger number and do it less frequently.

Afterall, it's all those danged restrictions from Parcel Force, especially since what your going to order is just paint. Unlike Hannants where you can stash a few tins with a kit or some accessories.

Mike.

Edited by MikeR

Hi folks.

Getting anyone at all to ship enamel paints legally has been a huge amount of work.

We have been around all of the couriers in the UK and have been met with varying degrees of indifference and incompetence. My wife and I are totally unprepared to risk criminal prosecution over model paint and therefore just chancing it undeclared is absolutely out of the question. If other companies are willing to expose themselves to such risks that is up to them - but we won't be doing that.

Of course we shall push for better rates, but it's dependant on volume. Even with the volume of parcels Hannants send out they still charge £6.50 to post paints. We can't get those rates with our initial volumes from Parcelforce until we can demonstrate that our business is worth anything to them.

We shall of course try other options but frankly it's difficult. Contact couriers and you get put in touch with someone who isn't qualified or empowered to agree to carry hazardous goods. They try to pass you to that department but it's very poorly coordinated. We chased two large couriers for months trying to get a response. Many refused to discuss hazardous goods out of hand as a policy. Parcelforce are the only option at present because to date they are the only company who actually knew how to post hazardous goods for anything remotely reasonable via surface post.

Most of the issues stem from the fact that most couriers transport goods to hubs then move them overnight on aeroplanes, even in the UK. Even those which don't wish to keep the option open. Paints can go on a plane but they need a stack of certificates and special packing by people with special qualifications.

We realise that £10 is too much for some. We do regret that, however at present I really can't see any opportunity to improve on that significantly without just posting them illegally.

The rate will cover up to 150 tins or so and we've already contacted customers to combine postage etc. We're also very happy to accommodate group/club buys. We make a small loss on the postage charge so it's better for everyone if we can find better ways to move the stuff around. Legally, of course.

Edited by SovereignHobbies
  • Like 2

Given all the hiatus re postage, are you going to SMW 15? If so could you take pre orders. failing that then I will wait until then and buy a stack, just loved the satin finish like the old Precision range.

Keep up the good work.

Hi,

We probably wont be at any more shows this year.

That's mainly a family life driven decision as getting the business launched has come at a high cost paid for by our young daughters who have not had the attention they deserve since winter. This venture is about keeping my favourite paints available, not money, so to avoid burning out it needs to take its rightful place as a sideline to an existing career and a family life including other hobbies.

Hopefully by next season we'll have sold some stock to another UK based trader who is already attending some shows.

• Like 1

Well, I bit the bullet and made a bigger order - i hope you can pack it off to me before you go on your hols!

Sounds like you need one Jamie ;)

Al