My final build for this GB is a Phantom FGR2 from 23 Sqn based in the Falklands.

This is the Fujimi Kit in 1/72.

M001.jpg

This one is also from The Stash but it has only been there about eight or nine years. Nevertheless I'm happy to be building everything from The Stash for this GB. It just means that I have a clear conscience when buying more kits... :lol:

Don't worry about the fact that the boxtop says it is an FG.1. A few years ago I built a 767 NAS FG.1 using the Alcock and Brown FGR.2 boxing to get the older fin tip. I robbed the slatted tailplanes from this box and replaced them with the unslatted ones from the A&B kit. So this model will actually represent an FGR.2.

Edited by Enzo Matrix
  • Like 8

I have to say that this is a superb kit! The original mouldings are over thirty years old now but it still stands up very well with modern kits. In fact, the original moulds are of the same vintage as the Monogram kit which I am building elsewhere in this GB. However, in this case the panel lines are nicely recessed.

This is actually the third iteration of this kit. The very first release had the auxiliary intake doors in a slightly wrong position. The second release modified the moulds to correct that and added some multi-part exhausts for good measure. The third release modified the fin tip to provide the RWR.

M002.jpg

M003.jpg

There is a set of vinyl tyres included but they don't have to be used as there are alternative parts for the wheels.

M004.jpg

Here are the non-slatted tailplanes from the FGR.2 boxing.

M005.jpg

• Like 1

Always nice to see a British Phantom build- will the fit include the gun pod? (I never had the pleasures of Stanley or MPA!)

Lucky you. Once is more than enough!!

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

As the model is finished and the GB is almost over, I had better document the build!

The cockpit is excellent. The decal sheet provides some nice decals and embossed instrument panels. I decided not to use the decals and held them back for use in a future Hasegawa build.

M006.jpg

M007.jpg

The main airframe parts fit together very well once the wing has been glued together.

M008.jpg

Main assembly complete with the seams highlighted ready for sanding.

M009.jpg

Not much sanding needed.

M010.jpg

Primed ready for paint. This view shows to advantage the broad-shouldered nature of the British Phantom, which this kit faithfully portrays.

M011.jpg

• Like 3

Spraying in progress. I used Xtracrylic throughout; XA1003 Medium Sea Grey and XA1017 Barley Grey for the uppersurfaces, XA1015 Light Aircraft Grey for the undersurfaces.

M012.jpg

Detail painting completed. british Phantoms sometimes ended up with an odd brownish tinge to the radome. I had a lot of greys flying around with all my Phantom builds, so I got a bit confused and ended up spraying the outer wings the Medium sea Grey when they should be Barley Grey.

M013.jpg

And then I applied the decals over the wrong colour... :wall:

M014.jpg

And up on its gear. I didn't add the wheels at this point as I intended to use the vinyl tyres supplied.

M015.jpg

Edited by Enzo Matrix
  • Like 1

Nice work again there Enzo. Glad to see I'm not the only one messing up the greys on the British Phantoms... :whistle:

Oh, it's not just British Phantoms. And it's not just greys. I'll happily mess up anything! :fool:

• Like 3

what did you use paint wise for the nose?

It was Xtracrylix Barley Grey with a touch of Dark Earth added. I didn't take note of any ratios. The radomes all seemed to be different shades anyway so if (when) I do another British Phantom I will make sure the colour is different.

• Like 1