Tarangus 1/48th SAAB JA-37 Viggen....New updates.

Lovely job old chap, ( I see you've added the fuselage aerial to upgrade to a JA-37D too)........as for promotion well FM may be a way off but I have a cunning plan, involving Field Marshall Douglas Haigh, a prize winning leak and his tortoise called Alan !

As pointed out there was a real mix and match of schemes going on in later years with all white panels, all black, white and black, black or white panel and unpainted fin tip, F wing numbers in different colours, faded ID numbers or bright red/orange decals, black ID numbers among other things.........it's a jungle out there ! :coolio:

....but, but, it isn't glossy white !!

....and there's no 'ray guns' or 'space thrusters' !!

Andy, have you become middle-aged and responsible ?? - Say it ain't so friend :weep:

Ok, enough mickey-taking. I've enjoyed so many of your builds over the time, matey, but this is (now) my absolute favourite. Especially like the restrained weathering, just about perfect.

That's it, nothing more to say.

Stay in-touch.

Ian.

• Like 1

I have to agree with all the previous comments on build and paintwork General.

I am not so impressed with all the shortcomings, it seems that as much work will be required as with the Esci/Airfix kit.

I was also at Farnborough in 1974 and saw that fantastic Viggen display ( took off downwind unannounced ) and I agree with you that it came very close to a Lightning display.

• Like 1

Ah ha...Good Lord, Flash, the man with no underpants !.........how goes it my Antipodean/Middle-earth dwelling mucka ?...I'm glad it meets with your approval. Are you likely to be visiting these hallowed shores again or is the thought just too awful to contemplate. Seriously Ian I hope things are well with you and the Memsahib....

Biggles, thanks for that...you're not the only one unimpressed...frighteningly I just scanned through Hannants Viggen upgrade pages to cost all the parts I would consider important in making the kit as accurate as possible and it came to the terrifying total of ....

£116.88 + £65 for the kit !!!!

Oh dear... well you can save yourself a bundle by scratching the bits yourself like I did, but if you don't fancy that then it's going to be a rather expensive project if you really want an accurate JA-37 !...not sure why the AJ is a tenner cheaper as it seems that all the same parts bar the decals are in the box Of course many folks won't be too bothered about all this and just build from the box, but to be honest it won't look massively better than the Airfix offering, (and that has more accurate canards !!)...

Yes that display at Farnborough was something else !...another memory I have of it was seeing the aircraft parked up in the static park with the pilot standing imperiously still next to it holding his white hat, looking to be 6ft 5ins tall, stick thin and immaculate in his number one uniform, (not to mention being very tolerant and polite when asked silly questions by a spotty herb and his Dad !)......

Hi folks, apologies for resurrecting this post but I've managed to find a bit of time to update the JA-37. A few folks in the know mentioned that '47' only ever appeared with a black spine panel and fin tip and all the reference photos I now have show this to be the case, (thanks to Bjorn here and the Swedish IPMS mob).I couldn't let it be and so whilst I don't really like altering models once they are finished, me being me, I just had to update it into the correct scheme and so armed with Tamiya masking tape, heavily thinned Tamiya NATO black, kitchen roll and my Micron airbrush I set about doing just that. My biggest concern was pulling the unit badge decals away at the fin tip however some judicious masking helped a lot here. The missiles also needed reworking, so I duly ordered a set of the excellent Brassin AIM-9's which allows you to build either an L or M model, (I needed 'L's for the Viggen's RB-74's). These are lovely little models in their own right the only downside is that they are of very flexible resin and I found I had four bananas in the box....not one of them was straight :doh: ////.. so a long relaxing session in the hot tub involving a fair bit of massage ensued, (I'm easily pleased !), and that sorted them out. The fins are extremely thin and fragile and must be handled very gingerly. There's a lot of detail to be added and as you get four in the pack I decided to mount another two on the outboard stations as per full aircraft fit. Luckily I always glue my weapons on to their pylons using Gators Grip 'Thin Blend' glue so if things like this need to happen they are relatively easy to remove without damage..The missiles come with covers for the sensors and red 'RBF' tags but as these are green blind training rounds none are really needed, (only very small yellow tags fitted to the pylons).

I also want to build up a diorama for it so made up some standard NATO style yellow wheel chocks, (Sweden uses red cage type ones but when the aircraft is away from base these are commonly used throughout Europe). They were made up using scrap resin and lead wire. Just need a bod or two now to finish it off, I might modify some ground equipment too but don't really want to overload the scene...

Anyway hope you like it.......

I have the Two Bobs set for F-17 wing on order so I can then alter the fin tip badge with the correct white background and three small yellow numbers on the fin tip just above the rudder....The big Dayglo '4' on the wing will have to stay as it is for now...

Cheers, :cheers:

Melchie...

DSC_0149_zpsfhaly03p.jpg

DSC_0151_zpst5qeaqqm.jpg

DSC_0146_zpsxrbbc0a7.jpg

DSC_0153_zpsh24ghkqw.jpg

DSC_0157_zpswi2dlpdx.jpg

DSC_0154_zpskkdb8hxs.jpg

DSC_0148_zpsb6lhivru.jpg

• Like 7

wow!

these updates is what I would call dedication! :) :) :)

superb work on the missiles!

on the number 4.... maybe there is a way to correct it.. it would just be extending the vertical " stripe" I to the top I think..

so only the correct color would be necessary! painting or trying to get spare airfix decals.... (sorry I have none, as I did the same as you and used them for the perfect color .. :( , but somebody for sure has they lying around!!

Thanks fellas,

Cheers Keef..first on parade eh........you'll be mentioned in dispatches...........not sure what as but you will be mentioned.... :winkgrin:

Werner, I had thought of extending it with a piece of spare dayglo but if you get any overlap or colour mismatch it really shows up so I may well leave well alone I just need the Two Bobs sheet now and that'll be that........for now !

I've found my next Viggen project !

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Sweden---Air/Saab-SF37-Viggen/0836737/L/&sid=ee9d538aaf2ba917b15cf3b4054a2342

...just love the recon noses on these and the RF Drakens...

Edited by general melchett

I've been metioned in all sorts of ways in the past. They're rarely flattering...!!

All recce jets are really cool! Just got the Sword Photo Cougar - wonderful looking thing....!!

Looking forward to seeing your next Viggen!

K

• Like 1

Got to agree with you there, the recce versions always look more interesting in my eyes, RF-101, RA-5, RF-4, RB-47, RF-84, Photo cougar and Cutlass, and that's just some of the U.S. stuff....

Don't worry, I was mentioned in dispatches often as a nipper, usually said.....'Could do better' !

• Like 1

Some say, that you are gonna come visit us here in the north general sir. Namely at AIM in Gothenburg. Could this be true?

If so it would be great to meet you in person.

• Like 1

Thanks for the very kind comments chaps,

Bjorn, no problem..being a long time lover of Swedish aircraft and an unashamed rivet counter myself I'm always grateful for the input of others on the research side of things, sometimes however it's easy to not see the wood for the trees !.......it's the part I really enjoy about modelling these subjects, that and the very active social side of the hobby over here.

Johan, thanks I hope to get over to Sweden in September staying near Gothenburg with my good friend Jan Forsgen. We have an organised visit to F7 wing at Satenas planned, (looking forward to having a good look at the SwAFHF machines as well as the Gripens) as well as visits to a few museums on the itinerary.....it would be great to meet up with some of you guys at the same time...

Thanks again, :cheers:

Melchie....

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Thanks for the kind comments guys, glad you approve. For anyone interested I've got a couple more 1/48th Swedish beasts in the pipeline including a pair of Drakens (a well worn Danish RF and equally weary two-tone grey Swedish Johan) along with a RB-04 equipped A-32A Lansen. If the mood takes me I might also add a splinter camo Sk-37E to that at some point...

• Like 1