Tarangus 1/48th SAAB JA-37 Viggen....New updates.

Thanks folks, appreciated, :winkgrin:

Just had a nice big box of stuff arrive from Hannants this morning including this,

DSC_0063-002_zpsfbpdlqq3.jpg

Following on from a comment made from Werner (exdraken) mentioning that the front end of the AIM-9's didn't quite look right, (well they were modified from some spare Trumpeter ones !).

Typical Brassin quality and you get 4 in the pack so I'll be able to add another two to the outer wing hard points.......post images when it's done,

Cheers all, :cheers:

Melchie

• Like 2

I just used the Eduard Sidewinders in 1:72 scale for my Crusader. They look great when finished, but boy were they fiddly! :)

I expect your 1:48 scale renditions will look fantastic!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Thanks Bill, I haven't tried these out before....you are quite right, the resin fins are wafer thin and very flexible in 1/48th hate to think what they're like in 1/72nd !!...all the missile bodies are slightly warped, (bit like their builder), but a good session in the hot tub should see them and me through...... It took a fair bit of time to remove them from the pouring tree even with a brand new razor saw. Quality is amazing but as you say darn fiddly :shutup:

Hairy, I totally agree...others that fall into that category are the Mirage 2000, Mig-25, SR-71 and Starfighter....engines with wings strapped to them..

Yes! I was thinking of the Mirage series. Lovely shapes, as the French can do so very well.

One gets the impression however, that if the pilot flew in full afterburners he would only have enough endurance to complete one circuit and land again... with tanks rather empty!

Looking forward to seeing your new AIM-9's fitted. Tally Ho!

• Like 1

:wow: Not sure how i missed this one, but my God, that is superb!!! I honestly thought the photos were reference shots of the real aircraft!!! Fantastic build, of a cold war great :mike:

• Like 1

Thanks chaps,

Hairy, that's the domain of the British !.....................aircraft that have a critical fuel state emergency on take off include the early Lightnings, Bristol T.188 and Concorde...

Thanks Jon, glad you like it. It was indeed a truly remarkable aircraft and one hell of an airshow performer...I have many fond memories of watching it tear up the sky at various airshows across Europe and here in the UK.

Thanks chaps,

Andy,

Thanks, all that info will be useful for the Special Hobby AJ-37 variant when it comes out.

As it's the same kit It will include all the errors but at least there shouldn't be a problem with the fin, (the AJ one is included in the Tarangus box and seems OK). Weapons will need to be sourced again but here Maestro and CMK will come to the rescue. Personally I'd like to do the SF-37 recon version but a nice splinter AJ will fit the bill nicely...

That is a beautiful build. Hopefully the Viggen will appear in a new 1/72 kit some day. With all the corrections you made you might want to consider changing the white field on the spine and the fin tip to black.

449_06.jpg

Thanks guys,

Thinking about doing the black and gold version

Great choice...that scheme really emphasized the lines of the viggen well..

Bjorn, thanks...originally I was going to model '28' of F4 wing and finished the air-frame with the white markings. I then found the Airfix decals along with the much nicer dayglo '47' code but as you point out this aircraft had black panels. I can easily change the areas over to black.....

:cheers:

Fantastic work! Painting and weathering is absolutely stunning, spot on! I have never seen a Viggen model look that realistic, you have really captured the feeling of these heavily weathered birds! Your corrections are also great, I am amazed about your knowledge of this aircraft. This is an invaluable reference for us that will build this one in the future.

However, I am a bit confused about your choice of the old Airfix numbers. In my opinion these are far too orange, while Tarangus' original decals have a more correct colour. Some Viggens had painted numbers that got a bit faded, but most of them - among them this individual - had decals that remained red. Compare to Bjorn's picture above, and this picture:

saab_viggen_swaf_37394_47_2.jpg

This picture (of another individual) shows clearly that fin and wing numbers remained very red also on very weathered individuals:

2235.jpg

Another error with the Airfix decals is that the F 17 insignia (on the fin) lacks the white background that the original one had. The small yellow numbers on the top of the fin are also missing on the Airfix sheet, but can be found at RBD Decals' sheet 48007.

But, apart from these small remarks, this is really a great build of a nice subject. If mine will be just half as good I will be happy!

• Like 1

Thanks fellas, I appreciate the remarks,

Martin, cheers,

I'm not the greatest Viggen fan in the world

Let me stop you right there old chap !....utter heresy....you sir are a haxa,(Swedish for witch)... :winkgrin:

Bjorn, thanks, I've always been a great fan of the Viggen, (and Draken for that matter), and always hoped for a good model in 1/48th. This one goes some way to achieving that but for the strange errors noted,

As for the orange numbers I've seen several photos of them a quite faded orange. The Tarangus ones didn't seem to have the necessary dayglo effect once off the backing sheet and against the grey fin.....it's just that I preferred the overall impact of the Airfix decals.

Just to confuse matters this F17 wing aircraft doesn't have a coloured fin tip !

1389491M-002_zpskedpfvhp.jpg

DSC_0037-002_zpsmgpbjfbe.jpg

I did notice that the F17 badge should have a white background but only after it was off the white backing paper of the decal sheet and too late to add a white disc.....

Cheers all

Melchie..

• Like 2

As for the orange numbers I've seen several photos of them a quite faded orange. The Tarangus ones didn't seem to have the necessary dayglo effect once off the backing sheet and against the grey fin.....it's just that I preferred the overall impact of the Airfix decals.

Just to confuse matters this F17 wing aircraft doesn't have a coloured fin tip !

This is correct... but not... Some Viggens had painted numbers, these tended to be a bit orange after a couple of years. But most of them, among them this one, had decals instead that remained red. This is why Tarangus decal sheet has two different red colours.

But anyway, this is just a small remark on a fantastic model!

• Like 1

OK, I admit, I'm late again, apologies General, sah! And being so late I don't know what I can add to the preceding comments on both your fantastic Viggen & the photography of same...just totally outstanding stuff Andy!! Hopefully she'll be at Telford...??

I know it's now well cliched, but I really did have to look more than twice at those to decide which was the real thing! In the end it's the lack of safety pins & RBF tags on the weapons that gave it away. Or haven't the liney's got round to putting them in yet... :hmmm: ??!!

Stunning Viggen Andy, just,stunning!!

Keef

• Like 2

Thanks again all, :winkgrin:

Bjorn, thanks for the info, I didn't realize that they were decals on some aircraft, which would account for the two colours.

Some seem bright faded orange, others red and some in between......here's a nice shot that showing the two together.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Sweden---Air/Saab-JA37D-Viggen/2196674/L/&sid=aa9285337de507f3562676d07c1a81e0

Some more images of the styles used,

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Sweden---Air/Saab-JA37D-Viggen/2569989/L/

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Sweden---Air/Saab-JA37D-Viggen/2284481/L/&sid=aa9285337de507f3562676d07c1a81e0

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Sweden---Air/Saab-JA37-Viggen/2243110/L/&sid=aa9285337de507f3562676d07c1a81e0

Hi Keefy...wondered if you were in the pattern or had landed, packed yer bags and driven back home in time for tea and biscuits...... ..Thanks, I haven't seen any photos of the training rounds with RBF's or pins in.... the chocks seem to be just long yellow or grey rectangular blocks rather like Toblerone bars with pull ropes attached !...

(It will be at Telford, on the Swedish IPMS table)....

Cheers,

Melchie..

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 2

These pictures are interesting in many ways. They clearly show these Viggens during the last years in service. Since SwAF was decreased rapidly during the 90s, many Viggens did service on many wings. Note that the "7" on the nose on the first picture is yellow, while the "1" is black!

SwAF was also waiting for Gripen, so little effort was paid in keeping these Viggens look proper. Parts from scrapped aircraft was used, and sometimes they did not care if parts from a splinter camouflaged aircraft was used on a grey one and vice versa.

These picures are taken by Swedish Viggen (and SwAF in general) expert Emil Lindberg and taken from IPMS Stockholm:

37372F17-22F17980429N98-6-21ALIE.jpg

37449F16-49F17011023N01-6-18ALIEcopy.jpg

Sorry for leaving the subject... :)

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 2

Some seem bright faded orange, others red and some in between......here's a nice shot that showing the two together.

but there is always some dayglow part in them IMHO!

only the airfix decals really show this !

and as we are talking colors, I took out my old Airfix Viggen and put it next to the current Tarangus and Twobobs decals, additionally I searched for my Austrian Draken dayglow number decals by austrian-military-models for comparison:

IMG_7539_1_1_zpsctnuchgh.jpg

interesting that Nr. 47 is so popular ;)

AND: just noticed the Nr 4 font is different for the main number (probably wrong on the Airfix decals???) :(!!!

thanks everybody for the many interesting pictures above!

one more this time from 16th wing

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?58787-Whats-your-favourete-military-aircraft-ever

saabJA37Viggen.JPG

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1