Tarangus 1/48th SAAB JA-37 Viggen....New updates.

Thanks again chaps,

Radders, I remember the Fairford tour bus very well...the only way to get really decent shots of the display aircraft. I also remember the Greenham Common charabanc too and a veritable sea of Starfighters, Phantoms, F-5's, F-111's, Lightnings, Hunters, Jaguars, JP's, etc, etc.... :clif:

One thing I forgot to mention was that the model is of an F17 wing aircraft based at Ronnerby (Kallinge), Southern Sweden, Baltic coast region circa 1996...

Great build of a great a/c, wish it was sat in my cabinet! Have to say though that for the price I'm surprised at the number of issues, puts me off parting with my £....my choice though! It is fantastic what you have done though, cheers.

FF

Thank you all, great to see so many fans of the Viggen here...

FF...even though I'm a scratch-builder at heart I was more than a little surprised and disappointed when I noticed some glaring errors fairly early on in the build. At around £65 you would expect more care to be taken on the research side of things. I just find it hard to understand why when there is so much information available and quite a few surviving airframes to study that these mistakes still occur but I guess it depends on the quality of the data used in the first place......having said that it's still a great kit and the remedial work is fairly straightforward to be fair so it would be great to see more of them built up.

• Like 1

Beautiful work, General! You've mastered what I call Goldilocks weathering - not too little, not too much, but just right! And that is so hard to do - but all the subtlety adds up to a menacing looking beast. Superb workmanship all around, I hope they pay you well.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Absolutely stunning! One of my personal favourites too (I love all things SAAB and have two of them sitting on my drive)! I was lucky enough to see a Viggen flying and it didn't disappoint. Your model is superb and photos are amazing too -there are a couple that look like photos of the real thing!

GJ

• Like 1

A remarkably cool model done in your expert fashion, General ! As always, museum-quality build and finish which really highlights the wonderful lines of the unique SAAB interceptor.

The great images make it appear to be a real Viggen at guard on the runway, standing alert at a Swedish airbase !

Mike

• Like 1

Your kind comments are all very much appreciated.

Bill, thanks, weathering is a funny old business ! I find that the best results come from studying photos closely, (or better still the real thing), and understanding exactly why and where the process is happening and slowly reproduce the effect on your model, Generally airframes tend to have similar weathering patterns in varying degrees. Oil leaks and grime don't just occur randomly but are the result of various factors, (systems pressure, heat, airflow, etc), the same goes for faded panels, (weather environment, sun bleaching, regular panel removal, etc). Also I think folks tend to think of grey as being a pretty straightforward and monotonous colour to apply but actually you can do a lot with it. I think the hard part is applying the correct shades before the application of Klear and varnish top coats which all act to darken the finish so you need to compensate......but then practice is key here.

As for pay....well, I can't complain !

GJ must agree to being a big fan of all things SAAB, (with the possible exception of the Gripen which for some reason leaves me stone cold...when they went from the the Viggen to the Gripen it seemed like swopping a Lamborghini for a Nissan, a good aircraft in its own right but to me lacking the screen presence of the heavyweight Viggen).

Thanks Mike, still to get around to trying out a bit of Photoshopping....really must take some time out to get to grips with it.

Melchie...

• Like 1

looking through Hannants future releases I see that CMK are joining in the game and releasing replacement sets for the kit including new wheels, reverser petals, ejection seat and air brake details which should go a fair way to improving the kit, (though inevitably increasing the price dramatically too !).........once you've added those all you need is a new fin, RAT, canard fore wings, cockpit tub, weapons and separate control surfaces and you're good to go !!

Bloomin Heck totally missed this mate. What a stunner and amazing set of photos. I hope you can get your Airfix one finished too after all the work you put in and then take photos of the 2 side by side.

Great stuff as always

Cheers Rob :)

• Like 1

WOW!!!!!!!!

I thought it was 1:1!

Magnificent is an understatement.

• Like 1

Absolutely lovely stuff!

The Viggen falls into that "odd" category of MASSIVE hole-in-the-rear jet that seems improbable, but really exists. Where do they put the fuel?

Stunning work on this build, as always, Sir Melchett.

Playing "find the rat" stumped me for a short while...

• Like 1

Really cracking model Andy. No wonder you were invited to contribute full time. Builds like this should help their mags fly off the shelf. Most inspirational.

It's refreshing to see a build that is destined for a magazine article showing more than one teaser image too. Good show for that.

I really like this style of presentation and the realistic photos are right up my alley.

Did you flatten the tyres at all? She looks to be a bit on her tiptoes and this might well be due to the full sized bird using high tyre pressures so forgive me for mentioning it if that's the case. Also, a wheel chock or two would totally complete the illusion of her being the real thing. Maybe for the next one?

Thanks for taking the time to share this build. It's a delight to see. Great job.

• Like 1

Thank you fellas, very welcome comments, I'm just happy you like her.

Hairy, I totally agree...others that fall into that category are the Mirage 2000, Mig-25, SR-71 and Starfighter....engines with wings strapped to them..

GDub, many thanks, glad you like the photos...... No the tyres didn't need flattening because as you mention the Viggen, like the Lightning used, thin high pressure tyres on the main gear units, (they had to be that way to fit in the necessary holes). The undercarriage was quite a feat of engineering with a sink rate of 5 metres per second...that's one Hell of an impact to absorb but one it takes in its stride due to the long stroke of the main gear. No flare landings were quite normal.

I'll keep a lookout for some suitable chocks too....

Cheers all.......

• Like 1