1/48 HobbyBoss F8F Bearcat

Hello everyone.

This is my new project - HobbyBoss Bearcat.

In general, this is pretty decent kit, especially if compared with other options in Testors or Hobbycraft kits. Kit has crisp engraved panel lines and rivets here and there. Overall details are more than You will expect, although engine is little rudimental. I've put some details on it and it looks just fine. For cockpit I've used Eduard zoom set for Hobbycraft. It needs some surgery to fit properly, but that is not a big issue.

There are few problems.

The engine cowling has some minor shape issues. This curve at the front needs to be a lot smoother, so some sanding is required. It won't be 100%, but it will looks nicer and much closer to the real thing.

Bearcat_3.jpg

Next problem are wheels. They are to simple. So I've changed them with True details set. The problem is a bigger diameter so sanding is required (again) on wheel struts and/or wheels.

Bearcat_1.jpg

Bearcat_2.jpg

The last issue and the biggest problem are wings. There are more than few problems with them + bad fit with fuselage. Intakes are too close to the fuselage, and wings looks maybe too short. I will have to live with this. I've inserted piece of styrene plate between fuselage and wings... that way You can have extra 1/2mm or so... it is something at least. The fit was bad anyway...

And there we are: First step... A color... few shades darker than what I want at the end.

Bearcat_4.jpg

Bearcat_5.jpg

Next... few color shades and weathering made with AK interactive washes/pigments.

I've spent 2 weeks making weathering... And It's not finished yet. I'm pretty satisfied with current situation. Upper side is at 90%... Underside still needs some work...

Decals are good... very thin and nice, but some are just a little out of register...

Bearcat_6.jpg
Bearcat_7.jpg
Bearcat_8.jpg
Bearcat_9.jpg

Wheel bay with some scratch build details

Bearcat_10.jpg

New update soon...

• Like 6

Hi mate, nice build. I am doing a build on a Hobbyboss kit as well in 1:48 (1:48 Me 262A-1a), and I found that the wing to fuselage join was not great as well. Perhaps that is something with hobbyboss. They produce great kits with great detail at great prices, but the kits have not so great fit at the wing to fuselage join...

John

Thank You guys,

New update:
Painting is over, but I'll have to put some dirt around the exhaust area. It's too clean compared with the rest of the surface(s). Wheels are on the place, but I'll have to put some matt varnish on them.

Bearcat_13.jpg
Bearcat_14.jpg
Bearcat_15.jpg

Propeller almost done. Maybe some weathering here and there

Bearcat_16.jpg

Bombs and fuel tank almost done

Bearcat_17.jpg

Grass is on the place. I sprayed nice filter to match base with weathering colors on the plane.

Bearcat_18.jpg

Only these rockets left... Does anybody knows the exact model and which colors are correct to paint them. Thanks.

Bearcat_19.jpg

Edited by 0viking0
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...