A Downunder "Twofer"

Howdy folks,

Time to dip my toes into a Group Build, reading the GB forums I stumbled across this one and I just happened to have Tamiya "French Aces" Dewoitine D.520 + Staff car.

This was a Christmas gift from my daughter and as she is home for a holiday in July I need to have it built.

So without further ado here we go....

The obligatory box shot.

DSCF5142.jpg

The Avenger in the background is my "slightly stalled" project which is now getting attention also.

The sprue shot

DSCF5147.jpg

The legendary Tamiya shake n bake quality seems well deserved, although I read about a gap in the back of the car between the wheel arch and the rear seat.

Because this was a gift I don't want to spend money on aftermarket accessories so will be building this OOB although I am still researching colours and options for decals.

• Like 3

First coat of Olive green on (over a grey undercoat), the photos are not that good, I need better lighting and have a macro extension coming for my other camera which may help. the gap at the rear seat is clearly seen here

DSCF5158.jpg

Looking at this one again that gap is clear, plus I need to tidy up around the headlights, I didn't notice that last night.

DSCF5157.jpg

First car I have done, first 1:48 vehicle so a few firsts there.

Meanwhile I am looking at options for the D.520 schemes, as there are a couple of D.520's in this build already I am considering a Free French in D Day markings option, I will post the schemes shortly and see what folks think.

Right colour schemes option one

79565988d520-nag-s-gallery-jpg.jpg

This comes in the box, it is Pierre le Gloan's mount in 1942 just prior to the allied "Torch" landings Le Gloan is infamous for having flown for the French, downing Axis aircraft, then flying for Vichy French and downing a number of British aircraft before swinging back to fight for the Allies after the armistice, he was killed belly landing a P39 later in the war. The only downside to this scheme is that all the tail fin markings and the red stripes are supplied as decals, I am not sure how well these will go down. The instructions call for yellow paint topped by the stripe decals etc.

The alternatives are:

147_7.jpg

Buy this decal set from Hannants, which detracts from the OOB build of this gift set but is a tempting choice if only for the Invasion stripes. This appears to be an ex German D.520 (several were captured at the fall of France I believe) with the mottled camo.

Or

images.jpg

images%201.jpg

Morocco 1947 but I can not find much detail about this scheme, decals also available from Hannants on a Illiad? set

I must admit I like both option one and two, I could buy Montex Masks stencil set from Hannants and build option one, spraying my own insignia etc which may help correct the colours etc, has anyone used these stencils?

I have never seen the number 3 scheme before. I would shy from it until I can see some photographic evidence. My heart goes to the Vichy plane, as I am a sucker for flamboyant colours.... No comments!

As to the FFI plane (Forces Francaises de l'Interieur) the black and white stripes are not, I believe, Invasion stripes, but simply recognition stripes painted on French aircraft only. On some planes like the P-47D only the white stripes were painted.

Anyway, number 1 will do for me!

Have fun.

JR

• Like 1

Thanks Jean,

I feel the same about the zebra one, I haven't found much about it, also thanks for the explanation about the stripes. I am pretty sold on option one but I may still buy the stencils and look at painting my own insignia's etc, this will be good practice for the big swordfish I am building soon.

Cheers

Stewart

Edited by pinetree_fella