Spitfire Mk.VIII SEAC, 1/48, Eduard + Montex

Hello guys, after some time i m again going for some "normal" (non-GB related) WIP here on BM :) This time it ll be the new Eduard´s Spitfire Mk.VIII. It should be birthday gift for my relative, so lets see how this ll go :)

I got the overtrees version of this nice kit (only plastic sprues, no PE, no decals, not even instructions included - you can get these from Eduard´s web page though). I m going to scratch some details + i ll be using little bit of PE parts i have left over from their Mk.IX spitfire :) Next i ll be using Ultracast resin wheels and Rob Taurus acetate canopy (at least the middle moving part). The seat belts are Eduard´s RAF WWII fabric belts. First time i m using these, but i see with some practice these are AMAZING addition to the kits! For camouflage i decided to give a try to Montex masks, namely their Super Masks for Spitfire VIII MT557, codes UM E, from Burma 1944.

The kit is nicely moulded (maybe even better then the IX!), only the canopy parts ll need some polishing, as there are some scratches (not too visible though). I started to work on the cockpit over the last days and now i have finaly some extra time to make first building post :)

I made new armour plates behind the seat, made some instruments and details on the sidewalls and added some wiring there. I also adjusted the fabric seatbelts and made their holder behind the seat (leading back to the fuselage). So far the cockpit is almost completed, just need to add the pedals and glass to the gunsight. So here are few shots from the progress :

002.jpg

003.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

Hope you like it so far guys, any comments or tips are welcome :) I know it is not the most clean work :( but some areas ll be barely visible after the fuselage ll be joint.. :)

• Like 9

Hi Wolwe, nice to see you back with a Spitfire. Great start, the only thing you could add are a couple of triangular holes in the bottom of the frame which the rudder controles run through, but if you've already attached it to the fuselage it's probably too late, probably won't be seen with everything joined up anyway.

Regards

John

PS

I bought the Mk VIII overtrees also but I intend to build it (eventually) as a Mk VII

• Like 1

Good to see you back Wolwe ............ and with a Spitfire!!!! Fantastic!! Love what you've done with the cockpit! :popcorn::popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Thanks guys, it is great to be back on BM with another build :) Hopefuly i should have more free time again in near future for my builds :)

John thanks for the advice, i ll keep it in mind for another Eduard´s spits (have two more IXs in stash), but as you said, it is probably too late for it now as it is all fixed already :( The VIII kit is realy great and big fun to build so i hope i ll see your VII conversion soon! :)

The Eduard´s Spitfires are realy one of best kits on the market Giemme, so i can only recommend you one of these :)

Thanks Rob and Stix too! :) Stix i ll have to check your amazing Spitfires again, kinda lost control so not sure how far are you with your Tamiya/Airfix double build :)

And slight offtopic ... Eduard has some nice plans for their Spitfires collection.. in 1/48 some bubble top spit based on IX wings.. and mainly in 1/72 they want to scale down their Mk. IX!!!! Should be in 2015, cant wait!! :)

• Like 1

Thanks guys for nice comments :) As i said earlier, this is so great kit (so is their IX). The kit goes together SO well and fast, i keep thinking "what did i forgot to do??!".. So well, i m going to open one gun bay (i had one bras-in gun bay in stash) - the gun bay was made for Mk.IX, so it did not fit exactly, but it ll do the job :) So the fuselage and wings are set together, the doors are just glued by tac-it (it ll be there only for painting purposes, to protect the cockpit - the kit has more doors in case you would like to build opened doors, like i do).

Also i started to work on 1/144 Eduard´s Spitfire, just for fun :)

015.jpg

And some work on the exhaust stacks :) (i have some problems with enough light for photos, the shots are else too dark or too pale... :/ )

012.jpg

013.jpg

Hope i ll be able to add more progress tomorrow :)

• Like 5

Hey again guys, i would like to show you some progress again :) It was all done last thursday, but i did not have acces to net during the weekend so i can show you pics only today.

Well i started the paint job. This was the plan:

- alclad airframe aluminium all around
- microscale satin varnish (without it, the following chipping fluid would not stick realy good to the surface)
- ammo´s chipping fluid

- marking painted by using montex masks and set the masks to protect it for the next steps
- camouflage paint + some fading and basic paints weathering
- scratches and paints peeling off

I have done the kits this way many times before and i NEVER had this problem.. untill now..

Well the problem is, the Alclad did not hold good and on some areas the paint went down to the bare plastic with the masking tape.. again, with Alclad paints this has never happened to me before.. Also when i was going scratches to the camouflage paint, using stiff brush and toothpick, the Alclad sometimes went down as well...

Anyway, here are some shots of the current state of the spitfire. Now i need to give it all around protective coat of satin varnish, then repair the paint here and there, mainly the marking on wings and tail and undernose air intake. Then i ll go on with some oils :)

DSCN1213.jpg

DSCN1211.jpg

DSCN1225.jpg

DSCN1217.jpg

DSCN1230.jpg

DSCN1221.jpg

DSCN1223.jpg

DSCN1226.jpg

DSCN1228.jpg

DSCN1229.jpg

DSCN1227.jpg

By the way, you can see i m using this wooden stand for painting, made by JH Models, i can only recommend this stuff, it is amazing. You have to build it yourself (you get the parts pre-cut by laser technology + all screws and other parts you need for it in the pack), but it is realy great thing for the painting :) + you can use it for transport (you simply use rubber band to hold the wings on the stand)

• Like 4

I've never used Alclad's, so I have no idea about what could have possibly gone wrong there, but where it has held, it does look very good. I'm going to do something very similar in my build, only that I'll be using decanted Tamiya Aluminium from rattle can, in selected areas and just after having coated the whole model with Vallejo gray primer.

Looking forward to the oil weathering :popcorn:

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 1

I also use Tamiya AS12 from a rattle can over Halfords grey plastic primer. I think that, as you've done the same thing successfully in the past you have to put it down to a bad batch of Alclad or not de- greasing the plastic sufficiently. Such a shame, it was going so well.

Don't give up yet.

John

• Like 1

Hi Wolwe. Like Giemme, I have had no experience Alclad's paints so can't offer any advice - sounds odd why it happened in the way it has.

Having said that what you have achieved some excellent results with the chipping. It's all looking fantastic! As always you attention to detail astounds me.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

I've recently had a similar experience with alclad despite a good base of primer and a coating of Kleer over the top. Really put me off using it when considering chain mail silver looks almost as good without all the hassle

• Like 1

Another amazing finish Wolwe. I love the markings being painted on with masks rather than decals/transfers. That will definitely be something for me to experiment with in the future.

That is strange about the Alclad, I wonder why it did not bond like usual. For chipping, I've been brushing MM metalizer on the bare plastic and it is really permanent, but I don't know about its availability in Europe. It can be so smooth that hairspray/chipping fluid is not necessary if water based acrylics are used on top. But, enamels bond to it very strongly, and it makes a great primer for them.

• Like 2

I also use Tamiya AS12 from a rattle can over Halfords grey plastic primer. I think that, as you've done the same thing successfully in the past you have to put it down to a bad batch of Alclad or not de- greasing the plastic sufficiently. Such a shame, it was going so well.

Don't give up yet.

John

I decided to not use any primer on my Eduard Spitfire Mk VIII, as the rivets are very restrained, and I would hate to see all that excellent surface detail disappear under the primer. As an alternative, I used the Gunze Mr Colour. This is a hybrid lacquer paint and it is exceptionally tough. This went down nice and thin without covering all the rivets. However, I think I should mask out the roundels and paint them, unless the decals go down well.

John

Edited by Johnmodeller
  • Like 1