Belgian AF Seaking RS05

Greetings all

This is my latest completion, built over in the Seaking STGB but also thought I’d share the completed article here. It is the Revell 1:72 Seaking Mk6 kit modified to Mk 48 standard and built to represent RS05 of the Belgian Air Force. She is depicted in her anniversary markings which are quite colourful and make a difference to the usual grey Seakings. I chose this version because way back when (about 10 years ago) when I work for the Armed Forces Premier aircraft repair unit – MASU (other units are available but not quite as good! :bleh: ) – I spent 3 months in Koksijde repairing the main lift frames. Now Koksijde is a beautiful seaside resort which is kicking in the summer, but I was there in mid-winter and it was dead but still managed to have a blast and the locals were so good to us, but I digress…

Some of the work carried out was:

Remodelled seats to resemble the real things and not dining chairs

Scratch built rear cabin area to fill it full of SAR equipment

Scratch built Personnel door area to resemble the electronics rack

Strake replaced with fine aluminium shim

Sponsons boxed in and landing gear drilled out

Totally remodeled rescue hoist to accommodate the plate on this version

The engine intakes and exhausts are blanked but RBF flags have blown off!

Scratch built camera mount – camera to be fitted at a later date, it’s still in the ‘workshop’

Grab handles fitted above windows

Lower personnel door and various etch gleaned from old Airwaves and PP Areoparts sets

Upper personnel door scratched

She was finished off in Model Master Acrylics and the decals are an excellent set from Daco decals. Canopy inside is a bit pants due to overspray from poor masking but to take the canopy off to correct it would have been a pain so have decided to leave it.

A couple of notes post pictures:

The fuel jettison pipe is now fitted! The rotor blade droop looks poor in the phots (especially the rear one) and has been corrected. Also missing is an aerial on the nose (glidescope I think) which I need to knock up (or steal from the Mk 4 kit when that comes out). Phots taken in my dingy basement with my tacky camera (its persisting down outside) so not the best. Anyhoo the pics………

100_3401_zpsqah9g1rz.jpg

100_3402_zps6rwvp7si.jpg

100_3395_zpsprmate54.jpg

100_3413_zpsrmmui30d.jpg

100_3416_zpspld8x3ke.jpg

100_3410_zpsaghgtlhu.jpg

100_3412_zpsup2ccss9.jpg

100_3407_zpsujbzjuep.jpg

And here is the wip

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234975429-whl-seaking-rs-05-belgian-sar/

Cheers now

Bob

• Like 13

Now that is a gorgeous piece of work. Very impressive interior detail too.

( . . . and having a blast with locals is always a good thing )

Cheers,

Mike

That's a smashing Seaking and from the many modifications that you have made on the kit....no wonder it turn out to be a gem!The whole build will be just perfect if you had done a little bit of fiddling on the 'too high' rotor head!

lovely work there - stunning colour scheme which I did not know had ever existed. Good job of the steps and interior too, it must have been fiddly in 1/72 - I have only tackled it at 1/48 scale on a Sea King SAR a few years back

• 3 months later...