Op Telic Harrier GR.7 questions

Pappy

I've browsed through some of the photos I have access to (Sorry, I don't have permission to share them) and some other Telic conffigurations were (looking head on)

ZD379/27 - 500lb bomb, UK pattern 1000lb LGB, LAU-launcher, tank, gun pod, gun pod, tank, LAU, 1000lb LGB, 500lb bomb (5 mission markers)

ZD379/27 - same as above, but with TIALD on port side in place of gun pod

ZD408/37 - LAU, empty, LAU, tank, gunpod, DJRP (or maybe earlier vinten recce pod), gunpod, tank, LAU, empty, LAU

ZD463/53 - LAU, Maverick, LAU, tank, GP, GP, tank, LAU, Maverick, LAU

ZD468/58 - LAU, UK 1000lb LGB, LAU/AIM-9, Tank, GP, GO, tank, LAU AIM-9, UK 1000lb LGB, LAU

ZG510/81 empty, tank, LAU, UK 1000lb LGB, GP, Recce pod, GP, 1000lb LGB, tank, LAU, empty

ZG859/91 - can only see the port side, buut the wing armament is tank, LAU, Maverik, RBL755

• Like 1

Hi,

Just caught up on this thread, not being a regular visitor to BM these days.

Two quick comments...

i) Airbrake bay colours - the inside of the brake and bay was the same colour as the fuselage, so dark camo grey for GR.7s on Op Telic; Andy is right in that in use the bay itself soon gathered a lot of very matt black soot! So, how you finish the bay depens on how heavy you like weathering things.

ii) Timing! There's a good article in the May 2015 issue of Air Forces Monthly with several images of (100% LERX fitted) ZG480/70 of 3(F) Sqn at Azraq AB in Jordan fitted with (empty) gun pods, carrying a 1,000lb bomb on the centre-line, BOL rails on stations 1, 1A, 7 and 7A and AGM-65G2 Mavericks with the IR seeker heads on stations 2 and 6. On its return to Cottesmore ZG480 had 9 mission symbols stencilled on the starboard side of its cockpit - 2x 1,000lb-ers, 4x Paveway IIs and 3x AGM-65s. It's cockpit side rescue stencils were in both English and German.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Nick

• 9 months later...

Apologies for resurrecting this, BUT I too am about to embark on an Op Telic GR.7 (I have my two pairs of BOL's, TILAD, SNIPER, Model Alliance sheet on the way, etc) and was lucky enough to score a rather beat up Hasegawa GR.7 boxing (which the previous owner had left a 100% LERX in it too)... BUT what I am missing is the rear fuselage CM dispenser part (behind the airbrake on the lower side).

THUS, I am after some decent pics if any of you gents would be so kind. The Shape doesn't look too hard to knock up in plastic and putty, and if I am not mistaken, it seems to contain a pair of AN/ALE-39's (which I can then use to scale the rest of the fairing from, after etching them in brass)? But in saying the shape doesn't look too complex, one never knows - hence the request :)

Cheers in advance lads!

Dave Flemming - thats great mate; definately gives me something to work with... And I see its an ALE-40, not an ALE-39, as I had thought. The shape looks pretty simple, but I suspect will be a bit finicky to get right; part of the fun though :)

Cheers Very Much :)

D

• 5 months later...

What are the differences between American Paveway II and British Paveway II?

In every weapons option or weapons set, the American version, GBU-12, is commonly available. I wanted to ask if I m building an Operation Telic Harrier, will my model be accurate if I attach the GBU-12 to Gr.7? These bombs are included in Hasegawa weapons set.

What are the differences between American Paveway II and British Paveway II?

In every weapons option or weapons set, the American version, GBU-12, is commonly available. I wanted to ask if I m building an Operation Telic Harrier, will my model be accurate if I attach the GBU-12 to Gr.7? These bombs are included in Hasegawa weapons set.

No, it would not. The British Paveway II uses the British 1000lb warhead, so it's a very different shape. GBU-12s are based on the US 500lb Mk.82 warhead. UK Paveway IIs are available from Flightpath.

For an Op Telic Harrier, you can choose from UK 1000lb or 540lb dumb bombs, UK Paveway IIs, Mavericks, BL755s or CRV-7 rockets.

No, it would not. The British Paveway II uses the British 1000lb warhead, so it's a very different shape. GBU-12s are based on the US 500lb Mk.82 warhead. UK Paveway IIs are available from Flightpath.

For an Op Telic Harrier, you can choose from UK 1000lb or 540lb dumb bombs, UK Paveway IIs, Mavericks, BL755s or CRV-7 rockets.

Where do I find BL755 or CRV-7 rockets? Does anyone make them?

Where do I find BL755 or CRV-7 rockets? Does anyone make them?

Wingman Models do the cluster bombs....

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/details/wmk/detail_wmf_48022.shtml

There's a Canadian company which I think possibly do the CRV-7 pods but their name escapes me at the moment. Be careful buying the rocket pods as you get some AM CRV-7 pods which are for the AH-1 Apache and have a different body.

From observing the kit, it looks like both British and American Harriers are the same.

However, looking at the pictures, the American Harriers look heavier and 'obese'. Are there any structural differences between British and American Harrier or its just an illusion?

From observing the kit, it looks like both British and American Harriers are the same.

However, looking at the pictures, the American Harriers look heavier and 'obese'. Are there any structural differences between British and American Harrier or its just an illusion?

Damn national obesity rate!

Be careful buying the rocket pods as you get some AM CRV-7 pods which are for the AH-1 Apache and have a different body.

Yes the Apache ones have a fixed nose cone. The RAF ones have a frangible nose cone and rear fairing. Harriers also carried both the 6 shot and 19 shot pod. The 6 shot was primarily a training pod but the RAF used them for single shot use as the 19 shot pod ripple fires.

AH%20detail%209.jpg

CRV7Pod.jpg

CRV7TrainingPod.jpg

• Like 1

The main difference is the front fuselage, nose and ejection seat, however there are other differences around the wingtips, fin and rear fuselage. British Harriers also have an extra weapons station in front of the outriggers for carrying AIM-9 Sidewinders.

• Like 1

Most answers already provided...however:

OP TELIC is the OPs in IRAQ (so for the Harrier Force this is 2003)

OP HERRICK is AFGHANISTAN (2004/6? onwards)

I am pretty certain that TELIC didn't have GR9s (entered service 2007) and SNIPER only entered service with the Harrier force in 2007/8

The "mission" in both theatres was subtly different (both CAS, but..) so if you are being really accurate, check your references (links in posts seem to be correct)

(If I recall, the GR7s are slightly darker in colour than the GR9s, although I've seen one with a mix of both colours)

• Like 2

Most answers already provided...however:

OP TELIC is the OPs in IRAQ (so for the Harrier Force this is 2003)

OP HERRICK is AFGHANISTAN (2004/6? onwards)

I am pretty certain that TELIC didn't have GR9s (entered service 2007) and SNIPER only entered service with the Harrier force in 2007/8

The "mission" in both theatres was subtly different (both CAS, but..) so if you are being really accurate, check your references (links in posts seem to be correct)

(If I recall, the GR7s are slightly darker in colour than the GR9s, although I've seen one with a mix of both colours)

Any Harriers on TELIC that carried an LDP would have carried TIALD. HERRICK saw GR7s initially, then GR9s. The GR7s started with TIALD, then changed to SNIPER with the GR9.

GR7s around TELIC were painted Dark Sea Grey over Dark Camouflage Grey. HERRICK saw a mixture of that, all over Medium Sea Grey, and jets that were a mish-mash of the two.

• Like 2

Which Harriers carried TERMA pod then?

I understand Sniper couldn't be in Operation Telic. Could pods be carried on the same plane in combination?

TERMA pods were introduced towards the end of Op Herrick, from mid 2008 onwards. They were carried on the stbd fuselage station with Sniper on the port side.

Mark.

• Like 1