Airfix 1:72 Spitfire MkIIa

Hi All

Here's my Spitfire which I want to share with you. It has some firsts for me, first time using an airbrush and first time weathering and washing panel lines.

IMG-20150421-00955_zpspgqdqz24.jpg

IMG-20150421-00953_zpsarbkb33c.jpg

IMG-20150421-00952_zpsmhxelbzx.jpg

Obligatory 'upside down on tamiya pots' photo:

IMG-20150421-00956_zpslf7mbg84.jpg

Oh no! Giant killer cat!

IMG-20150421-00951_zpsux5svmta.jpg

Hope you enjoy, best wishes, Danyel

Edited by Danyel
  • Like 26

Thanks Rob. I lost count of how many times I had to adjust the airbrush because it splattered or got blocked or the pressure was too high or too low. Never going back to hairy sticks though! The wash and weathering were applied twice. The first time was completely overdone and after removing nearly all of it with airbrush cleaner I went for less is more :)

• Like 1

lovely Spitfire. as you say less is definately more. good work there.

Nice cat. Mine are usually well behaved when they join me in my modelmaking room.

• Like 1

Great job .

Well done on your first air brush effort and the weathering is excellent.

Your cat looks nice....when I was young our family cat clearly hated my model aircraft and set about destroying them at any opportunity with great success

Thankfully in my later life my wife is severely allergic to cats....... so my current collection is relatively safe!

• Like 1

Thanks so much everyone for the lovely feedback :) Really encouraging :) Thank you

Thanks DAG058, It is Vallejo matt varnish thinned with vallejo thinner about 70/30 then lightly misted onto the model at about 16psi. The varnish was shaken lots and lots and really went on a treat.

Thanks Selwyn :) Very funny. I turned my back for a moment to get my camera cameback to find Bertie sat on the plane!

Thanks Spitfire31, Tigercat and Winenut. He is a nice cat :)

Leonl, I'm sure it's lucky :)

Edited by Danyel

Looks great! The restrained panel wash on the top half works well I think. I'm about to airbrush for the first time since long ago - the trepidation! - hope it'll turn out as well as yours.

Lovely cat btw - one movement with his tail though, and the spit goes flying... Yikes!

Jay

• Like 1

Looks great! The restrained panel wash on the top half works well I think. I'm about to airbrush for the first time since long ago - the trepidation! - hope it'll turn out as well as yours.

Lovely cat btw - one movement with his tail though, and the spit goes flying... Yikes!

Jay

Thanks Jay

Go for it with the airbrush! Just go for it. I have big problems with anxiety and had actually bought the airbrush, compressor and booth in 2012 but had been too anxious to use it. All sorts of worries like, "what if I can't maintain the airbrush?", "what if I can't clean the airbrush?", etc.

IMG-20150327-00905_zpsacq7ydyh.jpg

Here it is on it's first use :)

• Like 2

Cool, great choice - started the F.6 a couple of weeks back but it got overtaken by the moth and the P-38. Let me know when you start the WiP, I have some decent reference shots of the F.2A for you.

• Like 1