Colour of Bundesluftwaffe's Tornado IDS cockpits?

Fernando

Hi, esteemed readership,

I have made some searches on this topic, but most of the material is about RAF Tornadoes, which I think are different on this. Pictures lead me to think that cockpit colour on German ones is lighter, probably around FS36320/36375. Instructions on Revell kits (on any scale) bring you those messy mixings using their own paints I have learned to avoid. Has anyone any hard data on this?

Thank you in advance.

Fernando

Edited by Fernando

Tempestfan,

I tend to agree. However, there are examples in which they define their colours according to the FS595b, even together to some expressed as a RAL denomination, such as the Norm 83 camo scheme (RAL 7021, RAL 6003 and FS34079) or the presence of FS35237 in Norm 90 camo schemes.

FErnando

I know, but those colours are in elaborate camou schemes where they needed a specific shade to achieve maximum effect presumably not available as a RAL tone. This would not seem to be an issue with an interior colour.

Since all cockpit-sections of the Tornado were manufactured by BAC/BAe in Britain, the GR1/IDS models all have the same colour, which is indeed FS 36231. While the RAF's GR4 Tornadoes changed to a darker colour, the german ones kept the old colour to this day afaik.

• Like 1

I have recently bought the book: A. Klein/C. Gerard, Panavia Tornado. The Tornado IDS/ECR (Luftwaffe) in the 21st Century from "Double Ugly Books & Decals". Quiet a nice documentation with plenty of photos BTW.

This publication also mentions FS 36231 as the cockpit color. It refers only to 21st-century German Tornados, however, but if was the color originally applied by BAe as Westwind mentioned, I guess German Tornados always had it.