Beginners compressor advice required!

Ace From Outer Space

Good morning everyone,

And what a sunny fine morning it is! I have a question: i have always been a brush painter barring one foray into using a single action Badger airbrush to coat a Patlabor model all the same colour about twenty odd years ago with a can of propellant.

I have been given a double action Aztec Airbrush, i think it couod be a good one as it comes in a very impressive carved wooden case with loads of extra gubbins and a vhs instructional video. I just need to now reverse engineer this DVD player to accept VHS and I'll be good to go...

Anyway, i would like to airbrush. I have a tool, a modicum (by which I mean an exceedingly small amount) of talent and no compressor. So where do I start?

I've looked on ebay, and there seem to be plenty of cheap Chinese made compressors such as the Hseng HS186. Some even come with brushes attached. But are these any good? Are there other, better, cheaper compressors more suited to the beginner?

Any recommendations or help from the BM community would be most gratefully recieved, I really am at a loss as where to start. I'd rather go for something cheaper as if airbrushing isn't for me, I don't want to have dropped more cash than I have to! Leaves me more to spend on kits!

Cheers all,

Viv

Any recommendations or help from the BM community would be most gratefully recieved, I really am at a loss as where to start. I'd rather go for something cheaper as if airbrushing isn't for me

Premiair do a thing called the the 'baby compressor' which I used for a number for a years quite happily..usually comes with a brush though. Doesn't have a tank or a moisture trap, but you can set the pressure gauge

https://airbrushes.com/product_info.php?products_id=3213

Edited by FalkeEins
  • Like 1

It really depends on your budget. From what you say the AS-18 of AS-186 would be the ones to buy (and put away any brushes that come with the compressor.

Make sure you have the hose that is supplied with the aztec brush as you will need this to connect to the compressor.

Paul

• Like 1

I'm probably a lone dissenting voice here, but I've got a big compressor that lives out in the garage. It's got a 1.5k motor and a 30l tank. It airbrushes well but also will run air tools like drills, hammers, die grinders and the like. It's less handy, but very, very versatile.

• Like 1

Thanks very much guys!

I had forgotten that I would need to get a compressor with an air tank so thank you!

Mitch K, I would love to have a garage to have a tool shop set up but, big as my house , there isnt the space for anything close to that!

As for budget, i have no idea what an appropriate budget is for a decent beginners set up. I'm guessing anything under a hundred quid may not be so good, but the HS186 seems to be less than that and if it works well enough, I'll certainly be happy enough to take a punt.

Thanks everyone! It is much appreciated!

Viv

Viv, If it helps I have just bought a new compressor and written a review Here

I recommend contacting Martin at air-craft.net for help and suggestions, he knows his stuff!

Cheers

John

• Like 1