Yet another 2 Vulcan B2.. XM571 XH537

I began fixing this up I never tried adding Flow Improver to Tamiya before assuming as it was different to other acyrlics in its formula. But to my suprise it brushes very well indeed with Flow Improver as other acrylics but does not cover as well.

Initially I thought I would do panel variations as below but then just went ahead and free hand paninted all the grey again. Pretty much.

40556883731_814b378642_z.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

40557016201_32c5a2750a_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

39662033085_920173fd3e_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

25686750497_7f75220fdb_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

26686252838_023fce7448_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

After some, work lots of work, Thats better !,,

39678629705_670fd457f5_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

39678631945_cb493f118e_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

40573293971_0e4e1bab4c_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

Now to crack on with the build as normal an show it whos boss. :whip:

Much as I love and will continue to brush paint and use rattle cans since the demise of my airbrush compressor in 2011. I have decided I cant go without it and got a cheap airbrush set on its way to me. Cant wait. :frantic:

Who knows might get this near the finish line yet.

Cheers Rob :cheers:

• Like 5

Great recovery Rob, she's looking good matey. :goodjob:

I eventually got around to building one of my 1/200 scale Scampton Wing B.2's last year. I apologise for the thread hijack, but I thought that you may like to see the result. Some way to go to get to your standard, and I don't feel that I got the shape of the black nose radome correct.

35481374212_5365f81325_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

35481374532_397afc2870_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 5

21 hours ago, matt_w said:

The straight camo is certainly bold. Sharp! I like it

Thanks im happy how its turned out I love the look of a hard edge camo but its such a pain to mask it all. I will have ago again but try another method. The Tamiya 2MM tape certainly did its job as regards curve and I was pushing it to the limit in this scale. However its just not sticky enough to hold its form you have to keep pressing it back down. Maybe next time id use it with an airbrush but I already hear a friend of mine having woes with it like that. Maybe on camo patterns less curvy than this its fine but not for tight curves.

Rob :)

17 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

Great recovery Rob, she's looking good matey. :goodjob:

I eventually got around to building one of my 1/200 scale Scampton Wing B.2's last year. I apologise for the thread hijack, but I thought that you may like to see the result. Some way to go to get to your standard, and I don't feel that I got the shape of the black nose radome correct.

35481374212_5365f81325_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

35481374532_397afc2870_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Not at all of course I dont mind you posting I really enjoy reading and seeing what others are up to as well. Lovely Vulcan that mate the radome outline on the kit is wrong the same as the Airfix Vulcan its copied from. but its not a detraction. look gorgeous to me and love the colours.

You are brave making one of them 1/200TH ones with the wheels down. like tryin to glue dust fagments together.

13 hours ago, TallBlondJohn said:

The main issue with cheap airbrushes is cheap seals, so they soon start to leak a bit - especially if you use agressive solvents to clean them, like xylene. Its tolerable as long as you don't mind the extra care and cleanup.

Well cheap is my thing at the mo. I just need something to tide me over for a bit and get back into it. so I grabbed an EXPO AB605 and a random chinese cheapy off ebay for now.

In the future when funds get better I will probs go for an Iwata set up.

I will be spraying a variety of Acrylics Lacure and Enamels hopefully. just want to make sure I get a good cleaner to keep them working as best I can. Not sure how robust they will be.

Cheers Rob :)

• Thanks 1

I was told many years ago while working on R/C models, that after masking, spray the base colour again first and let it dry. Any bleed under the masking tape will be the same colour and so it doesn't show, but also seals the gaps, so that when the second camo colour is sprayed, there are no gaps to bleed under.

Good recovery anyway.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Army_Air_Force said:

I was told many years ago while working on R/C models, that after masking, spray the base colour again first and let it dry. Any bleed under the masking tape will be the same colour and so it doesn't show, but also seals the gaps, so that when the second camo colour is sprayed, there are no gaps to bleed under.

Good recovery anyway.

That is a bloody good tip. Thanks. I have heard of people doing it with clear but I prefer your idea as it would be more cohesive. I will be trying that on my next build that needs camo like this.

Many thanks. Rob :)

So it was time to start adding in the other smaller details such as this Radar panel which on XM571 looked a greenish grey panel so I painted it with the wonderful Revel Aqua Olive Grey. I used Beige for the panel on the spine.

39682246665_83d285c647_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

39866608004_1f8ca44a79_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

25706870887_92003b4191_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

where the clear orange on the inside had dried weird and cloudy I have covered the outside of the windows with Tamiya Smoke which has given a nice illusion of tinted windows. Under some varnish I can hopefully disguise the flaw and keep some clear element going on.

40535876322_4f169cf6b8_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

39683527175_7d56a11dfb_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

40578368521_4ff3cd393e_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

Time to attack the Fin Cap it was Black on XM571 at the time I am modelling her. with the brown panels at the ends which look grubby so I went over them with Tamiya smoke again.

The exhausts where painted with a mix of metalic coulours and again over coated with Tamiya Smoke.

25723382307_e543262972_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

and after a coat of good old Johnsons Klear its like this. Also you can see the bomb aimers window that was corrected in shape and painted black. Just need to add the smaller side windows maybe do a panel line wash and its getting close to the finish.

25740809927_756305cde4_z.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

38801525230_8de33de86b_z.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

38801525500_fe905a6752_z.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

25740810697_b6ce46a544_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

26739586848_8d141454b8_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

39900247694_856589ed9f_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

Then earlier I found this ... Cant believe this has not been finished. Just needs the windows masking and some paint. It will be XH537 as build using my Resin Tail cone and Narrow intakes for an initial B2 Vulcan

40611297681_6d6ddeff65_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

• Like 2

I started doing the wash each few lines at a time with a very thinned out Citadel Sepia wash with some revell anthracite black added. Thinned heavily with Winsor and Newton Flow Improver.

Just a tiny bit on a chisel brush working quickly after a few seconds using a 12000 Micro Mesh pad dampened to remove most from the panels.

I only bothered to do the grey areas the green is so dark there is no possibly no point but I may well do it anyway. I am trying to keep it subtle.

25746094107_2cb44d9bfc_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

39905847494_ef4524ff89_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

40616269031_510a202553_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

Edited by robvulcan
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Army_Air_Force said:

Looking at the fullsize Duxford Vulcan, the dirt and weathering doesn't show partitularly well on the green either.

Yep and not much on the grey. most the time its hard to see any panel lines on Vulcans. except for the odd particularly filthy one.

XJ824 sure has faded lots. Its great it still has its original paint. Interesting how some of the Vulcans green faded to a pale green like here and others that very dark brown colour.

Love the Canberra flying over. Its been Years since I went to Duxford I must go soon.

18 minutes ago, Army_Air_Force said:

XL319 faded a huge amount.

Yep that's the one looks like that one was painted in more modern paint. When you compare that to say XL391 which was decidedly brown. Or the one at coventry which is a very dark brown. 

Ive just bought a load of AK Interactive paints to try I'm so impressed at their range of colours and ranges of a certain colour such as shadow base and highlights of the same shade. Also a faded green and faded white. 

One day im thinking of modelling something that is long withdrawn and waiting for scrap or an out door exhibit in need of some paint. 

It had obviously been touched up in service as parts of the fin and spine went brown compared to the light green of the other areas. It's now part way through a repaint into 1970's camo.

vulcan2.jpg

vulcan4.jpg

vulcan79.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Army_Air_Force said:

It had obviously been touched up in service as parts of the fin and spine went brown compared to the light green of the other areas. It's now part way through a repaint into 1970's camo.

Ah well that is a good display of various types of paint being used. Speaking to some ex Raf Painters im told they would sometimes mix up what they had as long as it was close enough thats all that mattered.

Great photos. Cant wait to see it fully repainted I must go visit and also see XM603 also now its been painted in antiflash white.

Rob.

Quick update the panel lines are now complete I will let this cure off for a few days then sort the decals out.

38811161280_0011c16a2b_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

39725571705_1468e1e270_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

39910351664_4ba8592873_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

39725571935_0eb0a9d32f_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

40578912472_bad514b1e8_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

Time for a drink, Cheers Rob :cheers:

• Like 4

Great progress today Rob. The light touch to the weathering looks good and I'm looking forward to seeing the decals go on in a few days time. That last photo from @Army_Air_Force shows the lower radome off nicely and I should have a better chance of getting that detail right in future. Thanks for posting Stephen. :yes:

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

Great progress today Rob. The light touch to the weathering looks good and I'm looking forward to seeing the decals go on in a few days time. That last photo from @Army_Air_Force shows the lower radome off nicely and I should have a better chance of getting that detail right in future. Thanks for posting Stephen. :yes:

Cheers. Yep I can't wait either. And yes great photo of the Radome it's hard to capture them angles. Pit road got it right except for how it attached to the secondary part. It amazes me how Airfix made such and accurate vulcan and got that part of the lining out wrong. 

I tried to correct it on my last Airfix build but still not quite there.

as for the Dragon ones I made I just followed the kit line like you did. As it's not that far off on the dragon kit.

cheers Rob :) 

• Like 1

Great recovery Rob, it's looking good. You should have every Vulcan B2 ever built soon! Still have my little B1 to finish, really must wrestle it from the clutches of the 'Cupboard of Ultimate shame' at some point. Know what you mean about the black radome shape, quite awkward to get right, but lots of photos help, (not to mention studying my local Vulcan at Newark). Look forward to progress...  

• Thanks 1

On 04/03/2018 at 23:22, nimrod54 said:

Thanks mate me too. hopefully crack on with it soon as I can. :)

On 05/03/2018 at 21:58, general melchett said:

Great recovery Rob, it's looking good. You should have every Vulcan B2 ever built soon! Still have my little B1 to finish, really must wrestle it from the clutches of the 'Cupboard of Ultimate shame' at some point. Know what you mean about the black radome shape, quite awkward to get right, but lots of photos help, (not to mention studying my local Vulcan at Newark). Look forward to progress...  

Thanks Andy. yep I just love making them so much I am now considering doing whiffs of them maybe a B3 in 1/72 for the table.

Your lucky having XM594 so close as am I with 598 and 665 near by though you cant exactly get close so easy or view around them properly.

I am fancying a trip to see XM603 soon got to see that in white. I need to get to Duxford soon to see the Victor too.

:)

On 06/03/2018 at 08:02, Lord Riot said:

The colours on this are superb! I'll be making my next 1/72 Vulcan in a similar scheme, late 60s/early 70s, with type D roundels. Beautiful.

Thanks yep I am very happy with them. Good old Tamiya they have some wonderful shades and now I have sorted myself with an Airbrush I will be decanting these wonderful colours soon. :frantic:excited.

Good luck with your build Id love to see it. I will be doing a few in the initial low level scheme myself. Last time I did one I used Humbrol 165 and 66 for the upper colours to replicate that very dark green and blue grey they often appeared in.

• Like 1

"XJ824 sure has faded lots. Its great it still has its original paint. Interesting how some of the Vulcans green faded to a pale green like here and others that very dark brown colour. "

If my memory is correct XJ824 has been painted since it went to Duxford

I have a picture of it about a year after it arrived that I took and it looked brown in places

I sent a question to SAM about why it was brown and they came back with faded explanation

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cherry268 said:

"XJ824 sure has faded lots. Its great it still has its original paint. Interesting how some of the Vulcans green faded to a pale green like here and others that very dark brown colour. "

If my memory is correct XJ824 has been painted since it went to Duxford

I have a picture of it about a year after it arrived that I took and it looked brown in places

I sent a question to SAM about why it was brown and they came back with faded explanation

Really I didnt know that. Not a vulcan I have seen much I do remember it being outside I think. I guess that might be why they repainted it. That might explain why its paler then. It seems whatever they use for RAF green these days is paler than it was or closer to the ww2 era shade.

Sometimes at least.

Seems most of them went brown but the Green they was painted in could look brown in certain conditions when fresh or even appear almost black.

Even managed to find a picture of her when she landed although it is not the best for deciding her colour

But doesn't that apply to most pictures

Most discussions would be null and void if you could!!

XJ824

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cherry268 said:

Even managed to find a picture of her when she landed although it is not the best for deciding her colour

But doesn't that apply to most pictures

Most discussions would be null and void if you could!!

XJ824

Well that is a fantastic photo. the grass is grass colour the sky sky colour the red and blue are as you would expect so I would say bone grey and summer baked dog poo colour would be perfect. Beautiful site. :)

• Like 1

Well ive been busy the last few days preparing for a new job I start tomorrow morning. I have also been away in Germany with my parents to celebrate their silver wedding aniversary. Wonderful country Dusseldorf is a wonderful place the people are friendly the beer and food are amazing.

So back to modeling. The one Vulcan that will be XM571 is fighting me everystep of the way. I have made loads of these and not had a trouble but this one... its not the kit its paint and luck. After fixing the paint I sealed it with some Klear and W&N Gloss UV Varnish... took so long to dry its unreal I wont be doing that again or will be buying a fresh tub. It extremely strong when dry and I wanted to protect this finish but I should have just stuck to klear.

So why it was dryin I carried on working on the other Vulcan as its also been 3 maybe 4 years and its close to finishing so why not. This one will be XH537 as it was built with the early B1 tail cone and Narrow air intakes using some resin castings I made up and might make available though the intakes I am not so happy with they fit fine but are a little too narrow and the kit is a bit to fat in this area. But I like the look of it and it captures that early sleak Vulcan image somewhat.

First I corrected the radome line and pva masked the windows with schools pva. then sprayed it with Halfords Grey Primer, Then tamiya white primer, Then Humbrol 34 Matt white.

38901943050_613b0c159a_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

38901945160_d9a88c19bc_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

I have also removed the molded on bulge that is on the kits upper nose. god knows why its there because its shouldnt be and the profile should be more pointed like this not bulbous.

40711954941_e63900180f_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

and corrected the lower bomb aimers window.

39816728965_a615b4ad98_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

40043506824_a4ab7f954a_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

40710670692_a9e6193e14_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

40043516244_9d17a4e5d9_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

40043525084_65db43fb56_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

26882764128_f0a4c90bb9_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

I have also been working on an old Kader Valiant and Victor B1 to go with XH537

26881713308_560277d1cc_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

25881578897_2cc8c6b9b5_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

I have also now started to decal XM571

40709559082_b82cc57ae4_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

40709552342_4f9ad29488_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr