Revell Hurricane Mk. IIC

Hi All,

Just completed this kit and managed to get a few piccies so thought I would post them up. The kit is the Revell Hurricane Mk. IIC. Its one of their nicer efforts, lovely recessed surface detail, good fit (apart from the tropical air filter!) and even the transparencies (which seem to be a bit hit and miss on their small scale kits) were good.

There was a desert or south east asia option in the box, I went with desert as I do like the mid stone/dark earth/azure blue scheme. The only additions were a tag to the top of the radio mast, aerial wire from fishing mono and replaced the thick leading edge lights with some heat moulded from PETG sheet, they look a bit a bit better that whats in the box but not great. Paints used were gunze for the mid stone and Xtracrylics for the rest. Finished with an oil wash and Xtracrylics matt varnish.

Anyway on with the pics and thanks for looking, Stu

IMAG0331_zps2vdavlqz.jpg

IMAG0332_zpstlwd3x8f.jpg

IMAG0333_zpsv38ofher.jpg

IMAG0334_zpsdftp1ggm.jpg

IMAG0335_zpsfe7cepnm.jpg

IMAG0336_zpsz10oavyw.jpg

IMAG0337_zpskautojyl.jpg

IMAG0339_zps8dkfe1ae.jpg

• Like 27

Love a desert hurricane! You have done a cracking job. Was it just xtracrylic called azure blue for the undersides? Or is it another name.... sorry never used them but I like the colour you have there

Rob

• Like 1

Thanks all for taking the time to leave such nice comments :)

Darby - the canopy in this one is pretty decent though the sliding part doesn't quite meet the rails when opened... I made their ME262 a few years back and its a really nicely detailed kit but the canopy was really poor, similar case with their P47 though not as bad. Still really rewarding kits for the money though. If you do build the Sea Hurri there is an absolutely superb build article here if you haven't already seen it, cant get the link thingy to work but if you cut and paste into your address bar - http://www.ratomodeling.com/finished/fleet_defender/

Rob, Michael, the paints used were Xtracrylics azure blue and dark earth and Gunze aqueous mid stone. They all spray really well though the Xtracrylics tend to take a few thin coats to build up coverage.

Cheers again, Stu

Edit - What do you know, the link thingy did work!

Edited by stoohoo

Great result! I din`t realize that desert colours combination can be so appealing. Really love that underside.

And a beginner question: how did you achieve that paint chipping effect on the wings? Did you actually scratch the paint to reveal some underneath primer or was it metal colour applied after the main paintjob?

• Like 1

Thanks again Roger, Woody and Fin :)

Fin - thanks, the paint chipping on the wings is just Games Workshop Mithril Silver and a piece of scotchbrite dabbed in the paint and then dabbed on tissue until almost dry then onto the plane, it went on a bit heavy to be honest. I think I prefer the effect that hairspray or chipping fluid gives but completely forgot to do anything about this before putting the main colours on...doh.

Cheers, Stu

• Like 1

Thanks again Roger, Woody and Fin :)

Fin - thanks, the paint chipping on the wings is just Games Workshop Mithril Silver and a piece of scotchbrite dabbed in the paint and then dabbed on tissue until almost dry then onto the plane, it went on a bit heavy to be honest. I think I prefer the effect that hairspray or chipping fluid gives but completely forgot to do anything about this before putting the main colours on...doh.

Cheers, Stu

Thank you! I think I`ll try that method on one of my future builds. Looks pretty convincing and would skip the requirement for an underpaint layer.

• Like 1

Great build and the camo looks really smart.

I built the same kit doing the SEAC version of my next door neighbors grandfather.

I agree the Revell kit builds up to a very nice finish.

Well done