1:48 Caudron C 460 air racer - JMGT resin kit

Hi,

working on a Potez 53 from JMGT (here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234978587-148-potez-53-air-racer-jmgt-resin-kit/)I found these litte kits to be rather simple to build - as long as you can keep yourself from super detailing these tiny planes. So I decided to start my C 460 as well.

Here is what you get in the box:

C460p1_zps7teuhkgy.jpg

Casting is extreemly good with very little to clean up. Decals (markings for two different aircrafts) and two canopies are included as well.

Here are the parts after a wash - the toothbrush gives an idea about the small size of the air racer:

C460p2_zps9atpfivy.jpg

Rene

OK so here the work on the interior. I did not add any aditional detail as you will almost see nothing once the fuselage is closed (so I did not make too much fuss about the paint job). I will keep the canopy open - otherwise everything would be hidden. The instrument panel looked grey in the instructions so I painted it this way. I found out that black would be correct, so I changed the colour after I took these pictures:

C460p3_zpsrldncjwi.jpg

Rene

Looking good Rene, there's something really exciting about these French racers, must have been a nightmare for the pilot to taxi though.

Wez

I upgrade my computer programms and have still some troubles. For one thing I just realized that while exporting to jpg the file size is a lot larger than before - I found out that the settings where on CMYK and on on RGB. So if anybody has issues with this page to load please let me know - I will then reduce the pics in the posts above - thanks.

Just a poor pic of the cockpit with the now black instrument panel...

c460p5_zpsc9kwqvuq.jpg

I did some filling and sanding and guess I am almost done with it. So I attached stabilizers and U/C (legs, wheels and covers are moldes as a single piece). So now I need to sand the seams of the stabilizers and then it goes into the spray booth:

c460p6_zpsydqowxt6.jpg

Rene

• 3 weeks later...

Oh - missed to post an update... I painted the two french racers about a week ago. I sanded the airbrushed paint with Alclad 8000 abrasive to get a smoother surface. Then I added a coat of Future.

Yesterday I started the decaling and would have finished this but:

c460p7_zpscdxbgqey.jpg

So now fingers crossed the coated decals will not disintegrate...

Rene

So now fingers crossed the coated decals will not disintegrate...???

They will not. And they will not follow the shape of the fuselage. I should not have vote for the Bendix version and everything would be fine...

c460p8_zpsyo9qwynn.jpg

I am not sure yet if I try to correct the width of the band or just keep it as it is. We'll see... The decal is too wide too btw.

As you can see the "C.460" on the tail is too large as per kit decals too. This I will not change.

René

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the late update on this. I was not satisfied with the wide tricolore stripe I painted and decided to redo it. This time with a DIY decal. So I sanded the wide tricolore down and repainted the area. I masked the decals with PostIt notes and caused more to worry about:

pxC460a_zpsjoj7rk3u.jpg

As I do not have any replacement decal I wonder if I will finish it in time now. My other build the Potez 53 is well alive at least and will be updated next week.

Rene

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to contact JMGT for replacement decals :thumbsup: - but will not get them in time for this GB. I tried to fix the decal as good as I can but will replace it with the ones from JMGT as soon as they arrive. I used white decal film for the "100" but it is not as opaque as the decals from JMGT as you can see.

I used the same decal film for the tricolore which is now much better IMHO. The white edges were hidden under blue paint by now:

pxC460b_zps2ly7kigr.jpg

pxC460c_zpscwqvybos.jpg

So tonight I will do some detail painting, canopy frameing and maybe another clear coat. Though I am not sure about the clear coat as I will replace the 100 decal any time soon.

Thanks for looking.

Rene

It's done! Not only I finished another GB ... I managed to build two kits in one GB :yahoo:

Proof of the great quality of these little kits. I guess I need to get some more from JMGT...

So my final pics on this build:

pxC460d_zpsp6hozwvv.jpg

pxC460f_zps41u5cuhj.jpg

pxC460e_zpskacsqrql.jpg

Thanks for looking.

:pilot:

René