The New Airfix Hurricane Mk.I x 2- Takoradi & Battle of Britain schemes

Hiya Folks,

I`ve finally finished these two models which feature in this thread on Work in Progress; (http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234979498-new-airfix-148th-scale-hurricane-mkiwhat-a-great-kitfinished/ )

The first model depicts Hurricane Mk.I, Z4769,during its flight from Takoradi to Egypt in 1941. It later went to 237 Sqn but ftr 2.12.41.

The temporary `convoy number' 3 was hand painted onto the model to try and match the roughly applied original and the white tail markings were also temporary on the real aircraft, intended to help spot the aircraft if it were forced down in the harsh African terrain. The white panel on the canopy was probably doped fabric and was intended to give the pilot some shade from the harsh sunlight.

DSCF4209_zpsafwksfts.jpg

DSCF4206_zpsqnoattxd.jpg

DSCF4207_zpshzvluz5b.jpg

DSCF4204_zps51mtn4q7.jpg

DSCF4218_zpsbbhekpk4.jpg

DSCF4215_zpsil8ftygu.jpg

The second model depicts Hurricane Mk.I, V7434, DZ-R of 151 Sqn based at RAF Digby in October 1940 during the latter stages of the Battle of Britain. It was often flown by New Zealander Pilot Officer Irving `Black' Smith who scored six kills during the battle and his personal Maori Tikki god insignia appeared above the roundel. Smith later converted onto Mosquito`s and took part in Operation Jericho, the raid against Amiens Jail.

The codes, serial and Tikki markings came from left over decals from the Italeri kit, although the codes are unfortunately slightly too short compared to a photo of the real aircraft.

DSCF4210_zpsxhlfiebb.jpg

DSCF4212_zpshievj5if.jpg

DSCF4211_zpsk2fp1klq.jpg

DSCF4223_zps2wegqk83.jpg

DSCF4221_zps7krwcdsd.jpg

DSCF4213_zpsj09pq8xk.jpg

The kit is excellent but one surprising omission is a rear view mirror for the windscreen which was fitted to almost every wartime Hurricane!

Both models were brush painted as usual,.....I hope you like them and sorry for so many pics.

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 53

Brilliant Tony. What a great pair. Nice to see some markings that are a little different.

Bet someone got a telling off over the rear view mirror :wicked:

A beautiful pair of Hurricanes with interesting history......hopefully Airfix will be churning more world class kits in the future.Keep up with the present strategy(highly detail and affordable kits) and I am pretty sure Airfix will be on top again,like those days in the 60s'.Now where's the Beaufort?

Tony

What a cracking pair !! :blush: of Hurricanes added quickly.

Great bit of history behind them too.

I will be hoping to finish mine this weeked as work has been a little busy.

Thanks for taking the time to post

Rick G.

A cracking brace of Hurricanes Tony :goodjob:

While both are wonderful the Takoradi machine in particular caught my attention both during your Work in Progress thread and now seeing them finished. Any more of this kit planned for the near future?

fantastic pair of builds, certainly looks like airfix has turned out another great kit!!!! love the scheme on the first one something different, but both are done very nicely and great finishes on both....

Edited by batcode

Don't be apologising for so many pics Tony, they're most appreciated!

Gorgeous Hurricanes, and can't choose between them. Love the second for it's pure BoB character and the first for its unusual scheme :)

I`ve finally finished....

'Finally finished' Tony? How long have these kits been out...??!!

Another wonderful pair of models off your production line,the usual impeccable finish & weathering & again two not quite so run of the mill schemes - the usual superb work we've come to expect from you!

Excellent stuff, again!

keith

These two are a couple of beauties, if you hadn't of given a scale at first glance I would have thought 1/24!!

Well done that modeller- you've done an iconic aircraft proud in miniature.

Hi Tony

Very nice build! - I like especially smokes at first one, Do you know what is a story behind this white parts on first? BTW - on photo this white is as bright as undersurfaces on filter and on tanks - perhaps - was it then light blue, not white?

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek

Thanks everyone for your very kind comments, they are really appreciated.

Hi Tony

Very nice build! - I like especially smokes at first one, Do you know what is a story behind this white parts on first? BTW - on photo this white is as bright as undersurfaces on filter and on tanks - perhaps - was it then light blue, not white?

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek

Hiya Jerzy,

In the WIP I do mention that the white panels on the Takoradi aircraft were applied using washable paint to help it to stand out in case it was forced to crash land in the inhospitable African hinterland. Again the undersides are mentioned too,......I do say that as they appear light the undersides could either be half black and white or Sky Blue but I chose the latter to represent the majority of aircraft which flew this route, plus the underwing tanks are also the same colour and not silver as they were on the earlier black and white bellied Hurricane`s.. It also has a later style fin stripe, where the earlier Hurricane`s with black and white undersides usually had full fin stripes.

Hope that helps?

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1