Hawker Tomtit Plans Help

grainman59

Hi everyone, this is my first post, but i have been following the forums for a while now, over the past few years i have been building up a collection of 1/72 scale British interwar types, and slowly making them too. However one type that i know is virtually impossible to get hold of is the Hawker Tomtit, anyway now that my modelling skills are improving i would like to scratch build one of these, so i am on the lookout for some scale plans that i can reduce to size, i have googled and found 3 view plans which help, but i would like in particular fuselage cross sections, and interior pictures, i have also heard that veron use to do a flying model, but don't know if this was true scale or not, any help would be much appreciated.

Model and Allied Publications (MAP) did some tomtit plans, cant remember scale though. There was a 1/72 conversion article in Aircraft Modelworld, October 1985, which used Airfix Hawker Hart wings, and a scratch built fuselage.

Thanks for the replies fellow modelers, i will try to obtain the said aircraft modelworld article to see if this helps, also follow up on the MAP plan too, i had planed to use a pair of matchbox hawker furies, as donors for the wings, fin & rudder and tailplane suitably modified of course, Merlin models i am aware of as i bought the gloster grebe under this name, and subsequently binned it for parts use only, replaced by the Aeroclub models one, that's from a different world!, fantastic, now finished that one.Any photos of the inside will be greatfully received if you can spare the time to do so, I hope to visit the up coming airshow at Old Warden on May 3rd, fair weather permitting and get some close up detail images of the Tomtit as well.

• Like 1

Thankyou Edgar, when i looked for that on the site earlier last night i came across a blank for the Tomtit, realised its a line drawing not a model plan as such, was looking for it in the wrong place. valhalla was the manufacturer of the original, 1/72 scale model, like NZKIWI say's steer well clear of that, also goes for extortionate prices as i have seen in the past.

Aeroplane Monthly, May 1979, contains quite thorough Hawker Tomtit article (RAF Piston Trainers No. 5) - including scale drawings, but I suspect not the ones you are looking for.

And then Wingspan, July 1992, features A. Granger's 1/72 drawings of the Tomtit including cross sections. If they are as good as the rest of his drawings you will have the clear winner here.

If you can not get hold of the magazines, PM to me and I will scan the articles for you.

And then Wingspan, July 1992, features A. Granger's 1/72 drawings of the Tomtit including cross sections. If they are as good as the rest of his drawings you will have the clear winner here.

If you can not get hold of the magazines, PM to me and I will scan the articles for you.

Hi Patrick,

I am also interested in the Wingspan article and plans, if you're going to scan them.

Thanks in advance,

Carlos

The MAP Tomtit drawings by E.J.Riding were originally published in Aeromodeller August 1948. The Granger drawing is similar but I feel the fin shape in this drawing is not right, being too pointy at the top. I have a number of original Hawker structural photos of the Tomtit, and a pattern in the DP box.

John

Thanks again Guy's for the heads up on various articles that are available, managed to purchase the aircraft modelworld and wingspan magazines so far , forgive me John Aero ,but what do you mean by you have a pattern in the DP box. Must say i'm so glad i joined the forum's.

That's a shame John, although i suppose there would not be sufficient demand for that model in this scale, did you get as far as making up the mongoose engine and prop by any chance .

I did do a Mongoose but it was never put into production. I do have a prop and recently I supplied a close 5 cyl engine and prop to a chap who was making a Mongoose engined Avro Trainer.

John

img214_zpsaenczsxr.jpg.

Some of my photo collection, some showing a very bent Tomtit.

img220_zpsdt0enid6.jpg

Very nice pics John, i remember seeing the Shuttleworth Tomtit coming to grief at the Mildenhall air fete many years ago, when it clipped the taxiway on its landing approach. don't think it was as badly damaged as the one in the picture though, seem to remember it just took off its undercarriage and busted the prop.