GWH Early Vulcan Conversion B1 B1a B2 Blue Steel and 698 Pit Road

It's a lot of rubber scary but exciting finally after months of work about 5 I get to free my model. :)

20FAC47E-EE5F-4CB8-9225-1D54F5989BF5-313

And we now have Resin duplicates this mold is good but I can now see where I can improve things however im happy ive got some duplicates to work with and as you can see I have already modded one to the original straight wing.

845A10DD-5E95-415D-8BAD-B9A3494EF7F1-748

BA3B8B6D-2EBA-4DB9-90C8-120F812EBD21-748

56436929-707C-4714-8680-ACEBE4E279F0-748

There is a lot of time cut out here but I modified the mold and made a separate one for the tail fin.

71C8975F-B477-48AC-AEDF-7C270B602FA3-566

C9951327-B0A5-4AA5-B124-18CF300F77B7-566

547B8C4F-F978-401A-B7EB-A9C616BF5F38-566

0D809BB7-AC1F-4411-ACD9-A0A36F97CEE8-566

Well looks like there are some more Vulcans to make on this build it was one then 2 now four soon to be more ! Mad I know pure mad mental but it is cool to pour your own Vulcan after all the work put it it's a good feeling :) now for coffee

• Like 6

Good stuff, when you are doing 2 part moulds make sure you have a release agent as the silicon will stick to each other, but you probably know that anyway :winkgrin:

Aye thanks mate I neglected to mention that and I have misplaced the photos. Actually I think a great many from this build are on my failed HDD must sort that.

I had tuned the mold upside down and painted carefully 3 coats of release agent and a quick spray of Release agent to be sure.

After removing. The clay first of course. Then I rebuilt the Lego wall around the. Shape and poured the second half of silicone.

Lots more to do yet this first batch is a test run I hope to make a better mold and then make many more of these but there are a few tweaks to do yet.

Cheers Rob :)

• Like 1

Over the time past I have also been working on this kit using my resin parts and some alternative drawings and Research.

7F624EEF-B8FD-4926-B358-7B5EBF82E439_zps

D25CFAA7-6541-47E1-9516-AF3CE1DD0B4C_zps

72A15425-DCE0-4D36-9E67-D136C1633BB3_zps

5D740A2B-1AC7-4DC5-B679-AFA462B0566D_zps

I found this online such an inspiration it reminds me of books from my childhood and I love drawings like this :)

CEDA83A4-E8AA-4256-9C8A-3CC1587EF732_zps

• Like 1

I also have a B2 converted to the original style with the later type early cone and narrow intakes this will likely be XH537 as she was in original fit I have a photo of her like this pre ECM. Here seeing with the B1 I have made from alternate drawings with the earlier type tail cone.

BFD98466-9A16-4BF4-B54F-45E8931594F2_zps

263EBEB2-FB4C-4048-9452-A5CC8FBA8007_zps

Rob :)

• Like 4

Nice work! I'm tempted to get Steve Bowe to a conversion of XA894 with the 22R engine in the future. I've never seen anyone do one of this ill-fated Vulcan.

Dave

Thanks :) , Awsome XA894 is one I am modelling too I have been gathering parts to make up the Engine too.

Who is Steve Bowe?

http://www.bowemodels.com/index.html

https://www.facebook.com/BoweModels?fref=ts

A very nice chap, has built 3 models for me - x2 1/48 Javelins XH754 & XA778 and 1/144 Tu-22 Blinder (after a mishap of one I previously built) . With possible permanent injury to my hands and arms, I struggle to do my models and only completed a few from a 3 year gap. It takes me 10x as long to do what I plan, so Steve helps me out (as long I can afford it).

Dave

• Like 1

http://www.bowemodels.com/index.html

https://www.facebook.com/BoweModels?fref=ts

A very nice chap, has built 3 models for me - x2 1/48 Javelins XH754 & XA778 and 1/144 Tu-22 Blinder (after a mishap of one I previously built) . With possible permanent injury to my hands and arms, I struggle to do my models and only completed a few from a 3 year gap. It takes me 10x as long to do what I plan, so Steve helps me out (as long I can afford it).

Dave

Thanks. Sorry to hear you have trouble with your hands but nice to see you have not given up and have help to hand. I am hoping in the the near future to make up the Engine in question in 1/144 and 1/72 as a resin piece. should not be so hard to do I hope. I have no drawings so will have to rely on photos and MK1 Eyeball Unless I can source drawings.

very inspirational your resin work!

Thanks its all new to me I am having fun doing it It takes a lot of time but its very much worth it.

• Like 1

Thanks. Sorry to hear you have trouble with your hands but nice to see you have not given up and have help to hand. I am hoping in the the near future to make up the Engine in question in 1/144 and 1/72 as a resin piece. should not be so hard to do I hope. I have no drawings so will have to rely on photos and MK1 Eyeball Unless I can source drawings.

I've always gone by photos than drawing, that's why I tend to collect of photos off eBay. As my favourite Vulcan I have a lot photos but now drawings too. When I was young I always thought it had a single intake then found out was bifurcated for the nose leg.

This place here about 15 years ago (link now dead) - http://www.scaleminiatures.btinternet.co.uk/modern_military_models.htm, did a 1/144 B1 in silver but was expensive. They said they did commission builds so asked if they could add the 22R but had no reply.

These are good images though.

http://www.diomedia.com/stock-photo-avro-vulcan-b1-xa894-image18089153.html

I reckon you should make several mouldings to help out other people if the wanted to make a B1 - same as what Greg Phillips should do with his Valiant B2 conversion. Not to make money but would make other modellers happy to know that they can get these other parts.

Dave

Edited by wavodavo
  • Like 1

I've always gone by photos than drawing, that's why I tend to collect of photos off eBay. As my favourite Vulcan I have a lot photos but now drawings too. When I was young I always thought it had a single intake then found out was bifurcated for the nose leg.

This place here about 15 years ago (link now dead) - http://www.scaleminiatures.btinternet.co.uk/modern_military_models.htm, did a 1/144 B1 in silver but was expensive. They said they did commission builds so asked if they could add the 22R but had no reply.

These are good images though.

http://www.diomedia.com/stock-photo-avro-vulcan-b1-xa894-image18089153.html

I reckon you should make several mouldings to help out other people if the wanted to make a B1 - same as what Greg Phillips should do with his Valiant B2 conversion. Not to make money but would make other modellers happy to know that they can get these other parts.

Dave

Thanks for the links and yes I love to use photos too and use any drawings but I am aware that even when the drawings are very accurate there can still be a few minor things. This is why I'm making about 7-10 models at the moment to try different things out as I have already found from various drawings and photos a few things that needed altering.

Im slowly getting through this but once im happy I have good parts that make the best conversion I can make I will be making parts to sell if anyone wants to buy them and start from there. The intention has never been to make money just make the models of Aircraft I love so much however it does cost a hell of a lot in money time and effort mostly time and some money back for the efforts would be nice and also speed up the process a lot as having to invest in rubber and resin Is what's holding me back. Along with low income.

I have lots in the works not just for the Vulcan but doing this first.

I am very happy with how these are coming out and having over studied these things im now finding some errors in the kit that have thrown my perceptions as the intakes on the kit itself are actually wrong for a b2 and more similar to B1 intakes but still they are wrong also the thickness and shape of the airframe around the intake wing route area is wrong being to fat and not shaped correctly.

I find as you correct one thing you notice something else that's wrong etc and I guess I have to work out where to draw the line and say that's it. It's fun all the same.

In time it would be nice to be able to put a whole set of parts together to buy individualy or in sets for all the variants , 698 , straight wing B1, early kinked B1, Later Kinked B1, B1a, Early B2, Skybolt, Blue Steel, any other sub variants or additions and hell even a B3 for those of us who like the project canceled and whiff stuff.

XA894 was a beast such a shame she burned away always thought it looked very menacing with what looked like a massive shot gun like weapon underneath.

Cheer Rob and Valiant B2 kits would be high on my list of wants too ;)

• Like 1

Thanks for the links and yes I love to use photos too and use any drawings but I am aware that even when the drawings are very accurate there can still be a few minor things. This is why I'm making about 7-10 models at the moment to try different things out as I have already found from various drawings and photos a few things that needed altering.

Im slowly getting through this but once im happy I have good parts that make the best conversion I can make I will be making parts to sell if anyone wants to buy them and start from there. The intention has never been to make money just make the models of Aircraft I love so much however it does cost a hell of a lot in money time and effort mostly time and some money back for the efforts would be nice and also speed up the process a lot as having to invest in rubber and resin Is what's holding me back. Along with low income.

I have lots in the works not just for the Vulcan but doing this first.

I am very happy with how these are coming out and having over studied these things im now finding some errors in the kit that have thrown my perceptions as the intakes on the kit itself are actually wrong for a b2 and more similar to B1 intakes but still they are wrong also the thickness and shape of the airframe around the intake wing route area is wrong being to fat and not shaped correctly.

I find as you correct one thing you notice something else that's wrong etc and I guess I have to work out where to draw the line and say that's it. It's fun all the same.

In time it would be nice to be able to put a whole set of parts together to buy individualy or in sets for all the variants , 698 , straight wing B1, early kinked B1, Later Kinked B1, B1a, Early B2, Skybolt, Blue Steel, any other sub variants or additions and hell even a B3 for those of us who like the project canceled and whiff stuff.

XA894 was a beast such a shame she burned away always thought it looked very menacing with what looked like a massive shot gun like weapon underneath.

Cheer Rob and Valiant B2 kits would be high on my list of wants too ;)

I gave up trying to make a mould once. I wanted to do the Canberras XH568 and WE173 using the 1/144 Amodel kit. The pitot probe from the Frog/Novo Fairey Delta 2 kit is as an exact fit and a good size but just couldn't get it to mould right.

You seem to be perfecting it, especially your doing the whole aircraft.

Dave

• Like 1

I gave up trying to make a mould once. I wanted to do the Canberras XH568 and WE173 using the 1/144 Amodel kit. The pitot probe from the Frog/Novo Fairey Delta 2 kit is as an exact fit and a good size but just couldn't get it to mould right.

You seem to be perfecting it, especially your doing the whole aircraft.

Dave

Nice choice and lucky find. I have found smaller objects are harder to mold and you need a really thin resin where bigger stuff is easier having more weight and mass. Mold design makes a massive difference too. Always a way just got to find it. Doing the whole aircraft is my Dads Idea for me it would be nice as there are plenty I would like to model and as I enjoy painting so much would be good fun.

If you like PM me a photo of the part and I will see if I can think about how you might do it.

• Like 1

Nice choice and lucky find. I have found smaller objects are harder to mold and you need a really thin resin where bigger stuff is easier having more weight and mass. Mold design makes a massive difference too. Always a way just got to find it. Doing the whole aircraft is my Dads Idea for me it would be nice as there are plenty I would like to model and as I enjoy painting so much would be good fun.

If you like PM me a photo of the part and I will see if I can think about how you might do it.

Thanks Rob, I'll take a photo later of it next to something to show the size. It is very thin.

Cheers Dave

• Like 1

Rob, let me know when your selling the straight wing B1. I'll be first in line to buy one from you....

And the B2.....

Hey that's cool to know you would be my first Customer :) , are you looking to convert a kit yourself or use a one piece airframe.

As regards the B2 that's nearly done just got to mold the extended nose wheel leg and need to finish the Blue steel and bay etc.

Tail cones and fin etc are done. But I need to make a few new molds.

Glad someone's interested im doing this becaue I want to model them but id be surprised if others did not want early V force Stuff.

Thanks Rob, I'll take a photo later of it next to something to show the size. It is very thin.

Cheers Dave

I look forward to seeing it will be interesting seeing what your doing and then if I can help I'll try.

A little update on the 2nd B1 done with the alternate drawings I trimmed back each wing tip another 2.5mm now she matches other drawings and reasearch material and is scale span of 99ft also looks better to the eyeballs. Seems the Vulcan B1 was the smallest of the Vforce I always seen it as the sporty Vulcan :)

0FF70786-4813-4F03-93B3-AF7D608B4A72_zps

• Like 3

One piece airframe please. If it was in 1.72 scale I would be camping outside your front door waiting for it. No joke. It would go nicely with my 1.72 B2.

Ok well that will be a little way off as I am now discovering faults in the kit that I want to go back and re work to try and get something as close to perfect as possible for me to achieve.

I see now that Pit Road clocked up in some areas for the B2 which although have led me astray might do me a favour for the B1. Not to knock the kit im looking at it too much for obvious reasons it's just interesting to say the least and I realise even more so you should never assume a new kit has got it all right haha. Thank the gods for geometry sets and dividers ! :)

I have some stuff planned for 1/72 but want to use the 1/144 and 1/200 as tea trial for everything first :)

Let's hope we get a new Vulcan Kit from airfix before im done here cheers Rob :)

• Like 1

Right then update time. Even though I'm now making yet more Models to experiment and improve things more these casts from my test mold prove that it is possible for me to mold the entire airframe but they are not perfect as I learned that Bottom feed molds are a pain to get the resin to flow into before it cures. This first Vulcan is a two part laminant as the resin started to cure when it was half full so I quickly mixed up some more and then top poured the rest in just not to waist the resin. This one I then filled the kink off to make a straight wing and re shaped the tail cone to the early type and will be done up as VX777 just so it's not a waist. So I will use these just so I can enjoy getting something finished and spur me on to do more.

7B8699BD-65FE-4C07-8DF9-FE87681A1339-566

Here you can see my two B2s one a standard Pit Road the other 533 with the resin tail mod and in the middle the two resin test Vulcans from the rest mold you can see on the straigh wing the straight line from the lamination and she s being filled and preped for paint.

The second resin one I used a different resin which has a very slow cute time and has insanely strong properties to it but sadly it's a resin that likes to bubble unlike my preferred resin. So lots of filling on this one to do it's like a cutttle bone !

F2B9A23B-7492-48EB-9A9B-38AF7E4D529A-755

This one will be XA912 here im drilling the Pito holes for the Steel wire

DBCDF4B2-7C99-43DC-B91C-B486C1B8B0D5-137

The first casting primed will now need more sanding to hide the tide mark I should bin it but as It was the first out the mold and not perfect seems fitting to do it at the Prototype :)

75C274E6-7A16-4CBF-ABFC-761671682FF4-813

00BD0D6A-444D-4155-A643-BA2B96200DE9-813

40FCCF25-97DD-429C-B4DB-9B8E98B5084D-813

And the other one with the circle bone resin ! this is gonna take some elbow grease but I have a cunning plan :)

126A9147-EAE2-446D-ACB4-7DA7C8A5F10C-813

3DDC8ECF-CF42-45E1-A4FE-4EE98A336722-813

I won't be using this resin again looks like calisto !

CA466147-32CD-4B8B-B5ED-2162477B4E48-813

And it has took a lot of filler to cure :(

BDA7A032-D9A5-46A1-A916-051966C0C187-320

So looks like soon I'll have some Home made B1s for the Bomber Command table :)

• Like 3

Go on Rob. Get rubbing.

Regards

Paul

Cheers mate Its one way for a modeller to get some exercise ahah

:)

Blimey, you could sell you masters to Corgi - perhaps then they'll do a diecast B1.

Dave

That would be my childhood dream come true I always wanted a toy Vulcan as a kid and you could not get one. You remind me of the first time I got on ebay when I was 16 looking at Dinky Vulcans getting excited and then seeing the £600 price tag and then going down stairs at my Nans for a beer. :drink:

Speaking of which I quite fancy a Brew tonight :)

• Like 2

Hey Rob I am next in the queue for one of each of these. They truly are fantastic and I can just see a brace of Vulcans on my little boys bedside table. I took him to Rhyl air show on Saturday so he could experience the Vulcan before she retires. He is only 2 and I worried he would be frightened of the noise, happily it turned out he loved it just as much as me and my Dad.

• Like 1

Hey Rob I am next in the queue for one of each of these. They truly are fantastic and I can just see a brace of Vulcans on my little boys bedside table. I took him to Rhyl air show on Saturday so he could experience the Vulcan before she retires. He is only 2 and I worried he would be frightened of the noise, happily it turned out he loved it just as much as me and my Dad.

Well that is good to hear on both levels of approval of the casting and the enthusiasm of your Lad. When the new molds are made and if I get good castings out I'll let you know however Resin and Children might be a problem if he chews them perhaps I should seek our a resin that is more healthy of such a thing exists.