1/72 S and M HS Andover C1

Calum

OH dear, I did mention about the resin being soft in POST 13, I think these models need to be stored in a fridge, its a great shame as they are moulded very crisply but it seems the resin they use can warp quite easily when warmed up

You did, and I think I may have said it seemed OK to me. Clearly I was WRONG :)

What worries me most is that it wasn't that hot, perhaps 25 deg C max, (although it was in direct sunlight). What happens when it's summer and it's 30 + deg in the cabinet.....

That's bad luck Calum, I'd have sat down & howled if that'd been mine. You've definitely put me off one of these now. :)

Steve.

Wise Steve.

With all it's issues I don't think I'd get another,, at $225 it's not worth it. The soft resin is really the final straw.

• Like 1

Was probably more the direct sunlight than the heat.

I saw an injection molded Me-262 here in Utah that had spent a little time in the sun and it had the same gull type look to the wings as yours only the outer panels had warped down as well.

Lets have a go at repairing this.

I first had to heat the wing root piece on the fuselage and bend it down to remove the 30 degree angle it was on. This took a fair bit of heat so the wife's hairdryer got quite a work out, to the point it stopped working - that didn't make me popular, but thankfully it was just a thermal cut out.

I then had to clean out all the windows as my fingers had wrecked many of them when trying to reshape the wings and wing root. This is a time consuming and annoying process.

I cleaned up the mating surfaces and used 5 min epoxy to glue the wing on. I then ran some CA into the gaps and covered it with PPP leaving it to set overnight

Andover-85.jpg

Next day it's we're off to a promising start.

Andover-86.jpg

Edited by Calum
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

The Andover got a bit of time spent on it over the weekend. Lots of putty and paint touch ups.

Andover-87.jpg

Mask, paint and repeat.

Andover-88.jpg

Hopefully this will be it and I can get onto the landing gear etc.

Andover-89.jpg

Andover-90.jpg

Edited by Calum
  • Like 8

This has been one of those threads that has made me laugh and cry from page to page.

One great save followed by an almost mythical `Baldrick` moment to bring back down to earth with a thump.

I admire your persistence on this one and love the finished result. :goodjob:

It`s safe to say I will not be buying one of these if it ever presented itself. :D