Halcyon Movie Classics Predator 2 build - 1994 - 1/9th scale

Very nice work, I like how you solved the problem of bringing the 2 models together, deffo a bit of out the box thinking. Does anybody know what happened to Halcyon?. I once made a Power Lifter to commission & would love to make one for myself but I've given up trying to get one. I've tried several times on E Bay but always get sniped, fed up with that so I guess I have to hope Halcyon might one day be resurrected.

Cheers! I have a rescue Power Loader, which I got on eBay about 12 years ago. It's in a real state, and is missing the Ripley figure (I gave it to a friend to get a better sculpted head, but it got very lost in several house moves). I need to get it fixed, wired and lit ASAP - and get the Ripley back...

Not sure what happened to Halcyon, other than 'it closed down'. I do know, however, that Aoshima have a lot of the moulds - the Delorean and Aliens stuff in particular. More on the Pred when I've got to it!

Here's a little more work achieved of an evening. Some weathering and patina detail to the shoulder armour (going for an Egyptian gold look), and tidying up of dreadlock beads.

First layer of dreads is complete - some more work needed on the other shoulder before starting on layer 2, as the first strand flows to the front of the model.

835D5597-63D3-4274-8524-690995B966C8_zps

Started on the face as well - as this is the focal point (in theory) of the figure, I don't want to leave it until the last mad panic painting session.

So far, I've only based the mouth flesh and eyeballs in a pale skin tone - several coats for coverage. The breastplate will get some heavy grunging with GW's Typhus Corrosion, among other things.

33DC2948-50B1-490E-BAF5-025755AF97B8_zps

• Like 5

Good to see you're knocking those dreadlocks into shape. Do the fit easily? I hope there are no entanglement issues.

Can't wait to see this finished. Might encourage me to start mine.

Matt

Cheers guys! I'm really enjoying this build. Some mild use of adult language, granted, but it's more fun than I expected.

Matt - the dreads fit okay - not excellently, but okay. Gotta go plastic to plastic, though, scraping any paint away that has got in the way, otherwise the superglue doesn't work quickly. Going left to right, I've had a couple of tangles - the instructions don't say whether the next strand goes above or below the one before (it would be 50 pages long!), so there's a fair amount of dry fitting for each one. So far, it seems to have worked alright, but I'm dreading (sorry) the second row. I have no idea how they'll fit in with the first row - if they'll intertwine or just sit above. I do know the leftmost strand is going to swing over the shoulder, which is why I've paused the hairdressing, and working on the skin and armour.

Hunter - the blue is actually a gorgeous chalky turquoise: Citadel Technical Paint - Nihilakh Oxide. It's brilliant for verdigris patinas. I'll be using their Typhus Corrosion on a lot of the armour, too. Great range of paints - I'd definitely recommend them if you haven't already found them.

BTW, I shot video reviews of these last year - links are on the paint names above. (shameless plug, I know). More predator paint and glue when it's ready...

Here's a bit of Typhus Corrosion on the armour. One bit of advice for anyone using this paint - you have to be sure you want it where you're painting it. It's a gritty wash, and dried with texture, so once it's on, it on forever.

57AB4D0B-4E7A-437D-9153-F52B0A8A4156_zps

The texture does mean that you can drybrush rust over it and get a great (and quick) rust effect - I'm not making this armour 'rusty' as such - I don't think the predator has ferrous materials for his body protection, unless he's been inspired by the crusades... https://youtu.be/YRD8jAk274I

6B005483-C8EB-4131-BCCF-4F22CE6F65E0_zps

I've started applying a black wash to get some deep contrasts in the recesses and edges as well. Citadel Nuln Oil is another magic wash that can be controlled really easily.

Very tempted to get the actual oil paints out when he's finished for more shading and weathering. We'll see...

Always jumping the gun, me.

I'm not 100% happy with the skin-tone (not light enough around the centre, I think), but I just have to try out the fancy technique I read about a few years ago to get the skin mottling.

A3E76AFE-AE15-4D6F-AC31-37CEC8EE35A1_zps

2AE09244-6CE3-4FEB-BC34-68D6A6224370_zps

Who can guess the method, and how long it took?

Spoil sport!

0AD1075D-8F25-4E0B-AD4B-17EC5D57EB65_zps

about 15 mins. Years ago, when I was a part of the old thehive.net forum, some of the members would repaint their Hot Toys AvP predator figures. They found that a Sharpie was much more efficient than a brush and paint - no runs or accidental splodges, but with a risk of a purple glossy sheen.

My only concern is how it will react with clear coat sealants. I'll test on spare parts first!

Next bit now - I've been a bit worried about how the Alien head has been moving. After cutting the sword and attaching the ends around the head, the assembly would wobble. I've added some wire to the sword as reinforcement, as I don't want it snapping at the wrist.

97CD8AB2-06EE-48DA-91F1-713BBDF39E61_zps

I'll need to decorate with some Green Stuff or similar - the cloth wrap should go over the wire, and then it will be a part of the Pred's own customisation.

• Like 2

Weekend update - with a week to go until the end of this group build, I'm not seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

Plodding on regardless, I've made some alterations, and got some more paint on.

A6CA422D-894D-475E-AD13-0A889512FB4F_zps

As I planned last week, I added some Green Stuff to the sword - to reshape the blade, hide the reinforcing wire, and to replace the leather binding. It'll take a day or so to fully cure, so I'll worry about painting it then.

1CD7C476-D447-48C5-86BA-E95D56FC0C65_zps

I've filled the gap in the leg holster and painted the legs - darker than the body, with slightly paler patches. Spots will follow, and then the fishnets.

640DD9CB-14CD-4716-9976-6CCF888D0AA6_zps

The skull is less bright white than this photo suggests, and I'll have some skin tidyup to do - especially after the netting.

11328410-9C39-4897-B53B-D9D7FAEC0582_zps

And I've splashed another load of Red Ink in the gullet. It's starting to look really gross and angry.

I still have 2 layers of hair to glue...

• Like 1

I performed a little test, to check how varnishes behave when applied to the Sharpie spots.

I want to lose the purpley reflection, but don't want the ink to bleed or smudge.

22B7F0E0-4691-4906-8ED6-BA8CBB349960_zps

I had a spare hand in the Predator box, so I quickly primed and painted similar brown shades on the plastic, and then finished off by drawing spots with the pen. After drying, I applied Vallejo Gloss, Satin and Matte in strips across the spots.

E9116D30-E283-4813-B33B-73D459295EB8_zps

As you can see, each of the varnishes behaved well, except over plain primer, where it feathered past its original edge. This won't be a problem on the main model. Onwards...

• Like 2

Managed to get some more dreads attached last night - 23 to go - almost halfway there!

3765521A-EB30-4AC0-9EE9-F9715B843146_zps

and I've dull-coated the skin, so no more purple sheen. I've also done some work on the shoulder weapon - gunmetals and chrome highlights, with a black barrel.

I was worried I'd fitted it upside-down, but it's meant to swivel round when it deploys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP2IFFQQFpU

It looks less like a quiver of arrows now.

I also made some progress on the tusks, and started work on the necklace - good practice for the netting (I want to cry when I think about the netting), and some metal-work on the armour.

4510CCA0-A2FF-46A4-98DA-258515C95895_zps

I still have the rest of the lower body and the alien to do as well, so I'll try not to get too hung up about silly little details...

• Like 2

For the webbing try a technique I used on surface moulded chain mail on this figure from a couple of years back

DSCF7696.JPG

I used a brush with longer bristles and gently rolled the brush across the surface horizontally, using the side of the brush rather than try to brush with the tips of the bristles. it allowed the raised detail to pick up the paint and avoided getting paint into the recessed areas.

• Like 1

Lol thanks, sadly I didn't do so well with her eyes, they never really looked right. Never mind, at least the dragon-thingy came out well and er - other parts too! ;)

• Like 1