Airfix 1/144 Vickers Vanguard

I, normally, have no interest in civil aeroplanes. However, every now and again a model comes along and I think "wow I want to build that!". This is one of those occasions!! Of course I wouldn't even come close to what you've done. Awesome, love it!!

• Like 2

I wonder will anyone bring out decals for the Merchantman. Particularly G-APEP the one preserved in Brooklands. After one of its last few operational flights it was sitting on the ramp at Dublin airport and I actually got onto the flight deck. I was all alone so I had it to myself. It just reeked of history, that old aeroplane smell. Sat in the Captain's seat and imagined startin it up. Ah nostalgia.

• Like 1

I wonder will anyone bring out decals for the Merchantman. Particularly G-APEP the one preserved in Brooklands. After one of its last few operational flights it was sitting on the ramp at Dublin airport and I actually got onto the flight deck. I was all alone so I had it to myself. It just reeked of history, that old aeroplane smell. Sat in the Captain's seat and imagined startin it up. Ah nostalgia.

Decals for G-APEP last scheme are available from 26 decals

http://www.26decals.com/epages/62035508.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/62035508/Products/144-649

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

I'll add my praise of your model to all the others - well done on producing a fantastic Vanguard. I love the BEA scheme. I bought mine a couple of days ago and am really looking forward to starting it. There's some nice aftermarket decals being released too, so I don't think it'll be the only one I get (in addition to the 5 I bought last time the kit was available - Airfix Classic Airliners series, early 90's).

Jeff

• Like 1

Thanks again for taking the time to look/commment thumbs.png

Very nice build looks great as I have just recieved this one in the post along with the new Boeing 707. Any tips to watch out for?

Cheers, aerotechi. The overall fit of everything was pretty good, except for the windscreen. Once the fuselage halves were glued together, I just couldn't get the clear part into position and had to perform a frontal lobotomy, sawing the cockpit roof section off, attaching the windscreen then replacing the roof. I could find no mention of this in any other review of the kit, so it's possible I screwed up somewhere.

Airfix provide separate doors and boarding stairs, but if you do leave them open you'll need to add a floor and bulkheads, as otherwise the fuselage is just a big hollow pipe.

Oh, and the kit needs lots of nose-weight. More than I put in; the model has a small blob of wax under the nose wheel to hold it in place for the pics doh.gif I've since created a set of rear boarding stairs which are glued to the model and hold it upright on its landing gear.

IMG_9001b_1000_zpszlptazps.jpg

Edited by Strangeways
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...