Spitfire external vs internal armoured glass

is it windy yet?

To a degree, yes, but it isn't like "From W3234 on...." Supermarine had it on their production somewhere around May '41, Castle Brom built a LOT of Vbs before they got it onto their production, and Westland was just getting into Spitfire production, but got it on their Vs pretty quickly- in other words, not many Westland-built Vs would have the early type.

If you have a particular serial in mind we (the Britmodeller collective) can advise.

bob

The first internally-armoured screen was fitted to the Mk.III, and the "Spitfire III type windscreen and hood" were fitted from 26-4-41. The mod was not retrospective, and was production-line only, but how many had had their screens fitted before that date, and retained them until they were finished is impossible to judge. From photos, it appears that all Spitfire Vs, for tropical use, had the new screens.

To a degree, yes, but it isn't like "From W3234 on...." Supermarine had it on their production somewhere around May '41, Castle Brom built a LOT of Vbs before they got it onto their production, and Westland was just getting into Spitfire production, but got it on their Vs pretty quickly- in other words, not many Westland-built Vs would have the early type.

If you have a particular serial in mind we (the Britmodeller collective) can advise.

bob

No I don't have a specific serial or aircraft in mind yet. I would like to do RCAF and I am limited to the early type with the 1:32 hobby boss Vb. Not many existing decals for my needs. So I've ordered a set from xtra-decal, but the instructions are grainy online and I can't tell which type of canopy it has. Not to mention they could have inadvertently drawn the image incorrectly. So I ordered some xtra-decal squadron letters which I should be able to cobble together some non-descript RCAF Vb.

The first internally-armoured screen was fitted to the Mk.III, and the "Spitfire III type windscreen and hood" were fitted from 26-4-41. The mod was not retrospective, and was production-line only, but how many had had their screens fitted before that date, and retained them until they were finished is impossible to judge. From photos, it appears that all Spitfire Vs, for tropical use, had the new screens.

Yes from my research the tropical V's do not have the external armour. Which is a shame as I like the desert paint scheme and 417 sqd so much. Also I'm trying to use the 1:32 hobby boss kit, so I'm limited to the early canopy.

Thanks for the date of change over as that should help a lot.

And the confirmation of lack of retro fit. I didn't think it could be done as the canopy to fuselage seams are totally different shapes. Nice to have the expert's opinion.

In principle you *could* retro fit the windscreen if you were sufficiently determined - you can do almost anything if you are prepared to put in the effort - but it would be a biggish job involving drilling out rivets and fitting a new section of skin. Given the anticipated short life of the airframe, and the marginal advantage in carrying out the work, it is perhaps not surprising that such an operation was considered either impracticable, uneconomic or just plain pointless.

In principle you *could* retro fit the windscreen if you were sufficiently determined - you can do almost anything if you are prepared to put in the effort - but it would be a biggish job involving drilling out rivets and fitting a new section of skin. Given the anticipated short life of the airframe, and the marginal advantage in carrying out the work, it is perhaps not surprising that such an operation was considered either impracticable, uneconomic or just plain pointless.

Indeed, I often think that every time I read can I make an xyz from the yxz kit. Yes you can it's just a matter of how much work is required and how much of the original kit is left. Well truth be told I'm a lazy modeller so I won't be changing over any windscreens and fairings.

Thanks

AFAIK, Supermarine made the transition from early to late windscreen design in the W serial range, while CBAF introduced the late windscreen in EN/EP serial range. In both cases it was gradual, with both designs mixed in the batches. So, the safe rule is that every Supermarine-built Mk V with a serial startying with an A or B had the late windscreen, but every CBAF-built Mk V with a serial starting with an A or B had the early windscreen. All BM-serialled ones were built by the CBAF, so BM257 should have the early one.