1:72 Academy Vought F-8J Crusader VF-302 Stallions

Hi mates,

My latest project is the superb Academy kit of the Vought F-8J Crusader in God's Own Scale. The Crusader has always fascinated me, since it's such a dichotomy. Winner of many aerospace awards for technical achievement, yet a very dangerous aircraft to fly based on its accident record. Known affectionately as the "Last of the Gunfighters" yet it achieved the overwhelming majority of its combat kills with missiles. Nonetheless, it looks the part - it's menacing yet graceful, both important attributes of a fighter jet. In its day, many pilots preferred the Crusader to the Phantom II, and that says a lot.

The build process is detailed in the WIP thread here. The model won Gold (1st place here in the US) at the recent Buffcon competition in beautiful downtown Cheektowaga, just outside of Buffalo, NY.

Project: Vought F-8 Crusader

Kit: Academy Kit No. 12412

Scale: You have to ask? This is me you're talking to!

Decals: Xtradecal X72160 markings for VF-302 Stallions; stencils and other decals from kit
Resin: Aires cockpit detail set 7110; Wolfpack F-8J Crusader “Flap Down” set WP72026; Quickboost Martin Baker Mk.7 ejection seat set 72406; Quickboost F-8 Crusader Flaps set 72269, Air Scoops set 72107; Eduard AIM-9D Sidewinder set 672043; CMK 72062 Crusader wheels
Photoetch: Frets included with Aires cockpit set, Quickboost ejection seat, and Eduard Sidewinder set; Eduard Remove Before Flight set 73008
Turned Brass: Master Model F-8J Crusader Pitot Tube
Canopy Masks: None - Ha! It can be done!
Paint: Gunze H3 Red, H4 Yellow, H26 Bright Green, H77 Tire Black, H70 RLM 02, H90 Clear Red, H94 Clear Green, H305 FS36118 Gunship Gray, H317 FS36231 Dark Gull Gray, H319 Light Green, H315 FS16440 Light Gull Gray; Testors 1180 Flat Steel, 1181 Flat Aluminum, 2143 Semi-Gloss White RLM 21; Floquil 110004 Crystal Cote, 110015 Flat Finish; Tamiya XF-69 NATO Black; Alclad ALC101 Aluminum, ALC103 Dark Aluminum, ALC115 Stainless Steel, ALC314 Klear Kote Flat
Weathering: Just a panel line wash - I kept the model pretty clean, after all there must have been a time when the actual aircraft had just rolled out of the paint booth.

Improvements/Corrections

1. Replaced kit cockpit with Aires resin cockpit set and ejection seat
  2. Replaced kit missiles with Eduard resin AIM-9D Sidewinders
  3. Seemingly random position and alignment of missiles on their pylons is intentional, and is required so the missile can clear the refueling probe, the RAM air turbine, leading edge flaps, and each other (during firing)
  4. Added Eduard “Remove Before Flight” flags
  5. Aftermarket decal sheet for U.S. Navy Reserve Squadron VF-302 Stallions
  6. Replaced kit pitot tube with turned brass part from Master Models
  7. Added canopy restraint strap made from photoetch metal
  8. Replaced kit parts with Quickboost afterburner air cooling scoops
  9. Replaced kit wheels/tyres with CMK resin wheels/tyres
  10. Added Wolfpack “double drooped” resin leading edge flaps
  11. Cut out kit flaps and ailerons, replaced with Quickboost resin and posed in typical parking position
  12. Detailed top of engine tunnel (underneath raised wing) with tubes, conduits and other fiddly things

Elapsed Time: Only a month!

I know, you want the pictures. OK, here they be.

100_5677

100_5679

100_5681

100_5683

100_5685

100_5686

100_5689

100_5690

100_5708

The oddball alignment of the Sidewinders in this head-on photo is accurate. The missiles were mounted in such a way to make sure they cleared everything when fired, including other missiles, leading edge flaps, ram air turbine, etc. Kudos to Academy for paying attention and getting this right.

100_5693

100_5696

100_5698

100_5699

100_5700

100_5701

100_5709

100_5702

100_5704

100_5706

Adding the photos to the post has made me realize that I didn't take any photos of the underside. Let me do that and I'll add them soon. Thanks!

Cheers,

Bill

Edited by Navy Bird
Photobucket Eradication
  • Like 48
  • Thanks 1

Fantastic Crusader!I always have the belief that great details will probably be missing from any 1/72 kits due to its smaller size but the Academy Crusader proved me wrong!Love the colors,the yellow looked like flourescent yellow!

• Like 1

As I said in the WiP thread, it's a beautiful model. The effort with the missiles was definitely worth it, especially since they are so prominent. The remove before flight tags also draw attention to them. Very well deserved prize too!

• Like 1

Great build, great model. I normally prefer "dirty" and well worn ACs, but this is an absolute stunner :mike:

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 1

It's been a relatively quick build for you Bill, but by no means compromised, perhaps a better starting point in terms of kit quality compared to what you've tackled over the last 12 months, not to mention your personal challenges.

I'm not a huge fan of the F-8, but the quality of your paintwork & detailing and the choice of scheme have made it an absolute beaut, who could not like this? :)

• Like 2