Char Mitrailleur FT31-RPM

sean

Hello...my second entry for the GB, RPM's FT31, not sure if it's classed as a tank or an armoured vehicle, but it is tiny.

It could quite possible be the smallest kit I'll every make.

The sprues:

DSCF4225_zpsmyfdrshd.jpg

Two sprues of very soft plastic and quite large gates, but using a very sharp no.3 blade for cutting and my fingernail to clean the parts,

it's not really that bad. For all the size of the kit, there is some lovely detail, and lots of options regarding what can be built. I'll be doing the middle

tank in the above photo.

And before you know it, we have this:

DSCF4227_zpseksbkn2n.jpg

Told you it was tiny:

DSCF4232_zpsyu1a9tky.jpg

If you see a cross eyed and grey haired fellow running around N. Ireland gibbering about tiny tanks :mental: , that'll be me :bye:

Sean

• Like 3

Hi Sean. You're not kidding about the small size of this kit! Wow! That is tiny! The detail does look good for the size though. Looking forward to seeing you build this......... don't think my eyesight or fat fingers would cope with how small it is! Good luck!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Cheers Stix, I do believe my eyesight could be worse after this, and as for my fingers, well, there could be blood. Somehow, I think luck will

be a major factor in this build,

Sean

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Wow....This is an intersting build. B)

Do you have a plan for the running gear and tracks? :hmmm:

I'd strongly recommend considering an aftermarket alternative.....I believe Modelltrans make a complete running gear set for this kit. :pipe:

• Like 1

Indeeed....It reminded me to pick up the second Flyhawk FT-17 kit (round turret version).

Kit bashing the Flyhawk and RPM kits could give you something not too far off the 1/35 Meng kit in terms of detail, but in 1/72! B)

(Hi Sean. Any progress on this build?)

Hi Stix...

Progress....has been somewhat slow, due to a number of factors, work being one, but mostly the fact of needing paint for

some other builds running along side this one. As these other builds stalled, so did this, as I've got into the habit of doing

3 or 4 builds at the same time. But a trip to the big smoke at the weekend, (Belfast), enabled the paint store to be

replenished and so things have moved on. Even though most of my kits come via the 'net, I still would prefer to buy my paints

personally, especially as I use Humbrol, I needed to get the new tins, (which are much, much better).

Anyhow, the FT. The running gear has been completed on the left hand side, this consisted of 18 very tinsy tiny wheels being

glued together to make 9 tinsy tiny wheels between 2 very thin and longish brackets(?) at the top of the running gear, followed

by 18 very tiny wheels being glued together to make 9 very tiny wheels at the bottom. These were added to various thin and fragile pieces of plastic to complete what you see before you. The tail skid(?) at the rear has been added as well, and I've removed the front hatch doors, just to make handling a bit easier.

DSCF4259_zpsktpekr1m.jpg

I must admit that the above photo does enhance the running gear, it's not that tidy in the flesh, pretty much 80% kit and

20% glue.

I've also given the tracks a quick swipe with H53, just to see if any clean up needs doing, there's just a bit.

DSCF4261_zpswtthbynh.jpg

(I'd strongly recommend considering an aftermarket alternative.....I believe Modelltrans make a complete running gear set for this kit. :pipe:)

Hi Sarge, to late for me I'm afraid. I did visit their website, some of their stuff looks really nice.

(An inspired choice! :popcorn:)

Cheers Cliff, I would more than likely say an insane choice.

So....most of the other r/g has been cut from the sprue and some glueing done, should be done for the weekend,(maybe).
That will leave the turret to do, which is only 6 pieces and then paint,
Regards,
Sean
  • Like 3

Hi Sean. Good to see some progress - but I don't know how you managed to see anything on there....... let alone the eighteen wheels!! :hypnotised: It looks tiny even without anything next to it to reference it with!! I struggle with small pieces on kits and this whole kit is probably as big as some of the smaller pieces I struggle with!! Don't drop it whatever you do or the carpet monster may get the whole thing!

Looking forward to more.

Hope you have a great weekend!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good job on the running gear.....Best of British with the tracks, CA, accellerator and patience may yet see you through! :coolio:

Cheers Sarge, although close inspection might change your view on that!! :whistle: I've glued the tracks and so far they are still stuck, so fingers crossed, :pray: .

I've also tried one for size, and it fits quite well, if not a bit loose, but at least it will go with no struggle. Plus it will hide all my "defects" :coolio:

Hi Sean. Good to see some progress - but I don't know how you managed to see anything on there....... let alone the eighteen wheels!! :hypnotised: It looks tiny even without anything next to it to reference it with!! I struggle with small pieces on kits and this whole kit is probably as big as some of the smaller pieces I struggle with!! Don't drop it whatever you do or the carpet monster may get the whole thing!

Looking forward to more.

Hope you have a great weekend!

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix, to be honest, I was going to give this a miss when I'd seen all the small parts :crosseyed: , never mind the wheels :wacko: , but sure what the hell, if I don't do it now, God knows when it would be. And eighteen wheels, that was just one side!

So.....I had a day off Thursday and was able to finish all the construction, glue the tracks and concentrate on a build

of Airfix's Typhoon while everything set...

DSCF4264_zpsdqjpfmze.jpg

I also made up the turret, and along with my made up track, put them together, just to get an idea what it should look like...

DSCF4266_zpset1vhntm.jpg

...not much bigger then.

Today I applied the first coat of paint just to see where needed cleaning up. A few bits here and there, but over all, happy

enough....

DSCF4269_zpsqrjomsuh.jpg

And together....

DSCF4271_zpsigmk4v8g.jpg

Once the paint is done ,the exhaust will be fitted, although I keep forgetting about it until I cut something else of the sprue

There were tools that could be fitted to the tank sides, but all but one broke when cut from the sprues, I'll maybe get something form the diorama box. I also think the brown camo should be somewhat darker, I'll check online to see what comes up, as I have

to see if I can find out the inside colour as well, as the doors on the front will be open.

Kind Regards,

Sean

• Like 2

Hi Sean. I seriously have no idea how you are working on something that small!! And I thought the Airfix 1/76 Tiger 1 was small enough!! Great progress but shame about the tools - I'm not surprised though - they must have been very VERY small and fragile. Looking fantastic!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Coming along very nicely.....Tracks look like they could lose a link or two though. I prefer to fix band tracks around the running gear, trimming and butt jouining them at the end of the process and under a roadwheel if possible. :nerd:

Can probably help out with tools.....PM me. :coolio:

• Like 1

Hi Stix, the tools were not so much fragile but the fact of having two great big sprue gates on either end.

Unfortunately they didn't stand a chance.

Hi Sarge, took your advice about shortening the tracks, although I think they're ever so slightly loose,

but I'm afraid of actually going to tight, so I'll err on the side of caution. Thanks for the offer regarding the tools,

PM inbound

A bit more progress today, I've painted a darker brown,(Hu 160), I think this is much more how it should look..

DSCF4288_zpsq5olv0es.jpg?t=1431973305

DSCF4291_zps3axxuwo6.jpg

Decal, doors, exhaust and weathering to go, possibly sooner than later.

Regards,

Sean

• Like 2

Amazing - every time I see it next to the paint tin it surprises me how VERY small it is. The brown does look better. Great stuff Sean!......... And there's a decal too?!

• Like 1

Stix, every time I see it beside anything, it surprises me how small it is! Did I say decals, I meant transfers!! :thumbsup:

Sean

• Like 1

Cracking build, this is a notoriously difficult kit and you've built a fine model from it.....I think you are wise not to over tighten the tracks on the kit's fragile & complex running gear. :coolio:

I'll stick some tools in the post.....Is there any chance I could scrounge any leftovers from your decal sheet? I still have three Flyhawk kits to build including two of this variant. :shrug:

• Like 1

Cracking build, this is a notoriously difficult kit and you've built a fine model from it.....I think you are wise not to over tighteb the tracks on the kit's fragile & complex running gear. :coolio:

I'll stick some tools in the post.....Is there any chance I could scrounge any leftovers from your decal sheet? I still have three Flyhawk kits to build including two of this variant. :shrug:

Certainly Sarge, I definitely can't see me making another one these puppies anytime soon, I might be mad, but I'm not crazy! :mental:

Transfers and not stickers eh? Oh well..........

Apparently it's transfers, according to Stew and Ced, and I'm not arguing with them! :boxing:

Sean

• Like 2

:doh: Now he tells me. The difference is staggering, especially the running gear, and two kits in the box, can't beat that,

Sean

The Flyhawk kit is pretty new, they've only just started appearing for sale in the UK.....I've just got their latest: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234981784-flyhawk-172-pzkpfw-i-ausf-f-vk1801-late/ from the same eBay seller. looks to be even better than the FT-17s, but you only get one kit (and two figures) for the same price. :nerd:

PS - If it were mine, I'd be much more proud of your RPM build, once you get your head round its peculiarities the Flyhawk kit pretty much builds itself.....I know just how much work you had to put into the running gear (and other areas) of yours and as I said elsewhere, it's probably the best OOTB result I've yet seen.....Personally I'd have bottled it and got the Modeltrans set! :coolio:

Ah Sarge, your too kind, but thanks anyway. Pm sent re. decals.

Got the decals done today, not too many and they seem to have gone on alright. Copious amounts of Klear helped, before and after. They're very hard to see unless wet and it's all one film covering them. Doors and exhaust are on, so that just leaves a bit of weathering to do, then a matte coat. I am also going to make a small dio for this as well.

DSCF4299_zpsrutfkzmb.jpg

DSCF4301_zps9zginol6.jpg

and one with it's partner for the GB

DSCF4298_zpsitaegd5u.jpg

Fair play to the guys who went into battle in one of these things, brave men indeed,

Sean

Love photos!!, just seen the toolbox lid is crooked....damn my eyes!!

Edited by sean