EE Lightning F1

Slowly catching up with some old builds. Photos not to sharp as I have lost the head to my tripod, so they were taken with a monopod resting against whatever was closest. With the usual UK light levels, there was some movement. Oh well.

The kit is the Sword 1/72 Lightning F1. I did find the nose undercarriage leg was not molded properly so replaced this along with the main wheels with the Barracuda resin replacements (very nice, well worth it). Also treated it to a new ejector seat from the same stable. The Firestreak are from the kit, but with the glass nose from the Airfix equivalent transplanted.

Apart from the above, its all as it came in the box, decals and all. I only noticed I had placed the wing roundels to far up the wing once it was to late, teach me to trust the instructions without double checking.

Tim

Real thing can be seen here -

http://www.aviation-picture-hangar.co.uk/xm137.html

IMGP8398_zpstglrjawd.jpg

IMGP8405_zpse3cqmvxk.jpg

IMGP8407_zpsx86jqmt1.jpg

IMGP8400_zpscbi7mq1e.jpg

IMGP8404_zpsauc0mesu.jpg

IMGP8395_zpsd5zmbogh.jpg

IMGP8396_zpsnqa5g1b1.jpg

• Like 27

great lightning looks great, im due start my sword kit soon!!!! and thing I should watch out for!?????

Put some strips of plastic along a couple of straight seems to help align everything as there are no pins. Dry-fit the cockpit and engine front to make sure the fuselage sides fit together. I had to do some trimming. Oh, and remove all the knockout stubs (or whatever they are called) in the fuselage insides, they get in the way of some bits. Glue the cockpit tub in and then the wheel well, things line up OK then. The wing/fuselage fit is naff, so expect to use plenty of filler :-).

Good luck! I'll be starting a T4/5 build as soon as the F6 is done.

Tim

• Like 2

Nice model! Thanks for liking my Lightning! Have you built an Airfix one? I wonder how they compare, if you've got the bug for lightnings I can't recommend it enough.

Great job with yours, it looks the part.

Nice model! Thanks for liking my Lightning! Have you built an Airfix one? I wonder how they compare, if you've got the bug for lightnings I can't recommend it enough.

Great job with yours, it looks the part.

I'm on the home stretch on the Airfix F6 (paint and decals done). Neither are simple builds. The Airfix nose takes some fetling to get it to fit right (not that the Sword doesn't), but the wing/fuselage fit is better. The Sword kit just has the edge on having slightly sharper moldings.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sharp looking build!

replaced this along with the main wheels with the Barracuda resin replacements (very nice, well worth it). Also treated it to a new ejector seat from the same stable.

Thanks. :)

Nothing wrong with those pics, the metallic finish looks superb. This has nudged my 1/48 Airfix Lightning that bit nearer the top of the stash - thanks for sharing!

• 3 weeks later...