Imperial AT-AT Walker

Approx 1/68

I picked this up years ago with the intention of repainting it to be more movie accurate. It was from the, now defunct, Star Wars Miniatures tabletop game by Wizards of the Coast. It sat in the loft until a year or so ago when I decided to get it done.

Essentially it's an AT-AT shaped lump of plastic and, although it's generally accurate in shape, a lot of the details are simplified like the actuator arms on the feet which are moulded solid. It was meant to be pre-finished which actually meant it was moulded in grey plastic and then slathered in a grungy black wash. I didn't bother to enhance the simplified detail as this was just going to be a simple repaint job, although, in the end, I had to rebuild the cheek and chin guns as the original parts were soft vinyl and were badly warped. The new parts were made from brass and styrene tube and a few extra panels and greeblies were stuck here and there to sharpen up the detail.

The repaint was mostly done with Vallejo followed by various washes and some staining with pigments

Enjoy the shots

10073877474_98a60e73d6_b.jpg

10074006483_c31042a64b_b.jpg

10073937866_acee886978_b.jpg

10073939825_617cf16e6c_c.jpg

10073891724_e503809aba_c.jpg

10073826504_f41faa6220_c.jpg

10073860975_def6e0d9b2_c.jpg

10073891806_84e6492442_b.jpg

You can spot the Sd.Kfz.222 hull that ILM used in the construction of the originals in the above shot

Thanks for looking

Andy

• Like 21

absolutely brilliant way to turn a factory tampo-printed conveyor belt mass produced lump into a very realistic masterpiece.

George Lucas will be proud of your work - so may the force be with you now, and in future restorations..

My son has this lump of grey stuff - I am going to show him your post and hope it will inspire him to have a go at your idea here. I think I paid £29 for the lump about 10 years ago from a model shop in Windermere, Lakes District - it was displayed in the shop window and was pretty much the only thing displayed ion the whole town that was not Peter Rabbit themed.

• Like 1

Fantastic paint job! You've done another stunning paint job, very impressive :goodjob:

I love looking at these models and spotting the kit parts, not just the 222 hul, but the 24th scale Harrier engines, the Tiger gun barrels as the main blasters.

Great fun! :)

• Like 1

I'm not familIar with this lump of plastic which you speak of, but it sounds like you've managed to polish a turd so to speak. The armour painting techniques you employ on your SW stuff produces some outstanding models to enjoy. Simply superb.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments everyone

My son has this lump of grey stuff - I am going to show him your post and hope it will inspire him to have a go at your idea here. I think I paid £29 for the lump about 10 years ago from a model shop in Windermere, Lakes District - it was displayed in the shop window and was pretty much the only thing displayed ion the whole town that was not Peter Rabbit themed.

I think that's about what I paid for mine around the same time. They show up occasionally on ebay and can go for up to £100 which is pretty dumb when you consider what it is. It does make a great subject for practising weathering techniques on though, as it's just a blank canvas and you can do anything you want. The Hasbro toys work well for that too, I've got a few that I'm intending to detail and repaint when I get the chance

Andy

Yet another master piece from your workbench again Andy ;)

Do you use the liquid masking technique for all of your builds now? If so, how are you applying it - tooth pick or brush?

I ask because I would like to have a go at your technique on another subject later down the track and I have that liquid mask but the brush is so big, I wasan't sure how you had applied it to your builds so effectively

Am looking forward to seeing what you post next :)

• Like 1

Thanks guys

Do you use the liquid masking technique for all of your builds now? If so, how are you applying it - tooth pick or brush?
I ask because I would like to have a go at your technique on another subject later down the track and I have that liquid mask but the brush is so big, I wasan't sure how you had applied it to your builds so effectively

Actually, I didn't use any masking on this one but, in general, I'm starting to use it more for paint chipping as it's a bit more predictable than hairspray and the chips are a bit better defined. Of course you can also do both, add some masking fluid then a coat of hairspray then the top coat. As to applying it, I don't use a brush as the fluid wrecks them. I do use a toothpick if I need to apply it in very small areas but, most of the time, I use a sponge.

The photos show it better

Apply fluid with a sponge

16978156898_ed148a2f7d_c.jpg

Allow to dry

17164299972_5abb0043ab_c.jpg

Apply top coat

16545735063_d1a49f2c1a_c.jpg

When dry, rub off masking

16958522147_801782decc_c.jpg

Andy

• Like 4

Lovely set of photos, thanks! Is it one of the Gunze masking fluids that you're using?

J.

Yep, it's Gunze Neo. I use Vallejo as well but I find the Gunze is better for chipping as it's thicker which makes it easier to apply with the sponge and it's also easier to remove

Andy

• Like 1

hey thanks for taking the time to post that awesome pictorial Andy. I'm sure it's not the first time you've had to answer the same question by posting those throughout your time in forums - but still - thank you!

It seems really quite simple and easy enough to do, so I'll do it that way next time I need chipping.

MH

• 2 weeks later...

I keep coming back to view this build as THE qualitative benchmark for anything I aspire to build in the future.

This has genuinely enthralled and inspired me. Top job fella.

• Like 1

Absolutely stunning piece of work. The defined lines of the panels are´simply joy to see. I must ask. How do you take your pics? What lamps are you using?

Edited by tiking
  • Like 1

Thanks guys

Absolutely stunning piece of work. The defined lines of the panels are´simply joy to see. I must ask. How do you take your pics? What lamps are you using?

Thanks mate. The shots are taken with a Canon EOS 650 with two five-bulb lamps, one either side of the model, fitted with 115w CFL daylight bulbs

Thanks guys

Thanks mate. The shots are taken with a Canon EOS 650 with two five-bulb lamps, one either side of the model, fitted with 115w CFL daylight bulbs

Thanks buddy. What do you mean by two five-bulb lamps?

• Like 1