IDF Border Patrol Fennek

SeanM

I have been thinking about this for a few months now and will be a week or two before I start this but at least the parts are now in the post. Trumpeter Fennek with Live Resin RWS done in IDF sand grey.

253869-10571-26.jpg

lre35181-instr.jpg

I was also thinking of doing a small diorama with a section of fence and the two Black Dog female IDF soldiers

300_300_productGfx_00f71ca828d3c7b4fdff5

But I've not ordered these yet as I suck at figures and have only attempted 1 dio before which never got to see the light of day.

So any suggestions on what else it might need?

• Like 1

I like the look of the weapons station, it would not look out of place in a Terminator movie.

totally agree! :D

I first thought it was SciFi stuff...

great project! have fun! ;^)

• Like 1

wow those turrets look amazing!!

It's great to see some land based Whiffs here. Will be following this build with interest, especially the turret.......already have ideas for one of those!

• Like 1

Thanks Gents. I'll post pics of the parts as the postie delivers them.

I first thought it was SciFi stuff...

While not sci-fi, it not real either. It is Live Resin's own design but what I like about it is that it's totally believable. I'm hoping it will suit the Fennec. Looking at pictures of the Trumpeter Fennec parts there is room for it on the roof without too much surgery. For such a small vehicle it has 3 hatchs in the roof! I just hope it doesn't look out of proportion

I think they are basically saying any vehicle that really uses a real Remote Weapon Station, such as the Crows II, would be suitable for this. Humvees, Strykers, M-ATV, Cougar, Buffalo...anything goes!

One coming from Hong Kong, one coming from Moscow, and they both arrive on the same day :)

The build, and pics, will commence this evening! But initial impressions after a quick look in both bokes is: wow! I know the LR stuff is lovely and detailed but this looks outstanding. I never could understand the price of the Fennek given it's size, but now I have one in my paws there is a lot of lovely looking plastic in a large box. A large PE fret is also included. The details looks awesome....

Watch this space

Ok, the build didn't begin last night....but that's life and families for you. Didn't even get to get all the stuff out of the plastic bags and have a good gander. So only one quick pic to whet your appetite I'm afraid

Fennek1_zpshyvtjfen.jpg

• Like 1

A quick look into the 2 boxes

First up the Live Resin RWS. A lot of parts but all immaculatly cast and flash free. Here are the

bulk of the parts

LR-RWS-parts_zps4tcl1qm9.jpg

A lot of the smaller parts have fallen of the pour blocks, as the attachments are very fine which

makes it easy to clean up the parts. They all seem intact though, but I left them in the bag for

now....some are very small and I didn't want to risk losing any.

As you can see the detail on the parts is fantastic:

LR-RWS-50cal_zpsgzp3sw2f.jpg

And now the Trumpeter Fennek itself. It's only a small vehicle. I think only 6 or 7 inches long

when completed, but there are a lot of parts. 13 sprues, 1 large PE fret, a small sprue of clear

parts and the upper and lower hull halves, tyres and decals. From initial looks the casting looks

perfect. No flash on any of the bits.

Body-plus_zpsycfl16fl.jpg

Sprues1_zps3tahvprb.jpg

Sprues2_zpskbzk6fny.jpg

Sprues3_zpsidfbs6vd.jpg

Sprues4_zpswwbor9tk.jpg

Sprues5_zpspjokqgyf.jpg

Sprues6_zps92g52xin.jpg

Just need to finish off my Stryker M1132 and I can start cutting & gluing this little fella.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

And so, at last, the build begins...

First, the Fennek: an absolutely beautiful kit! Stunning in the level of detail and so far the fit is immaculate. Only on page 2 of the instructions so far but really, really, really loving this kit.

IMG_0806_zps42036f84.jpg

With all the detail painting it might be a different story :)

And then the weapon station....wow! Goes together like a dream, but there was one nightmare moment. One critical part was missing and was going to take Live Resin a few weeks to recast as they are out of stock of this kit. However, a friend bought the other LR RWS as part of the same order and on checking his parts he had what was needed for mine in his set, but not used on it, so Iwas sorted and could continue. Some wiring, using stretched sprue, and the ammo feed chutes just to be added before painting.

IMG_0804_zps600b6891.jpg

IMG_0805_zps35a1f453.jpg

• Like 1

Yep, good ideas, thanks. The interior looks like it will be very full anyway but I do have a Duke spare and maybe a BFT box somewhere

Started on the wheel-wells. Each "hub" has about 12 pieces before you even add the wheel. But the engineering is precise and it all goes together very easily. We'll see how well it sits on 4 wheeks at tge end of this step

IMG_0808_zps1536bf9a.jpg

IMG_0809_zps096feb38.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks TC. Things had slowed down for a while but about to take off again...

Attempting to put wiring on the RWS using stretched sprue. I know it's not very clear but I'll get a better picture when I clean it up:

RWS-wiring_zpsfews8fp9.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry for not updating for a while. Some small progress over the last week.

Cleaned up the wiring. Not perfect, but will be OK once painted. If I was doing it again I'd have attached to the inner points before assembly.

FB_IMG_1432488272517_zpse0elkzyx.jpg

And started adding detail to the inside:

FB_IMG_1432488279677_zpsfzfmemth.jpg

FB_IMG_1432488287765_zpsdhfcct0z.jpg

FB_IMG_1432488302294_zpsavgaqdke.jpg

FB_IMG_1432488312825_zpsrvmkqo6d.jpg

FB_IMG_1432488329207_zpsbmu7ngas.jpg

Now ready to put the top on then add windows, doors and start painting the outside.

Thanks TC.

For the monitors I googled "BFT screen" images and then scaled them down and just printed on plain paper...

Tinting the windows using self-adhesive coloured plastic sheet. Can't remember where I picked it up but knew it would come in useful some day. origionally tried using it for vision blocks on Strykers etc but wasn't happy with the effect when it's on the outside. But works well for the window on the inside i think

Window-tint_zpsmaxsdvgi.jpg

• Like 1

First coat of paint applied. Primed with rattle can Desert Yellow and brush painted with Vallejo IDF Sand Grey watered down. Second coat has been applied since I took the photo and looks a lot better now

Fennek5_zps22lhokvq.jpg

Now to start all the detailing. Doors are just dry-fitted to aid painting but will be in the open position when complete

Edited by SeanM
  • Like 2

Thanks TC, finally finished the RWS part.

Painted the guns and added the ammo feed belts. And a drop of gloss clear on the lenes.

FB_IMG_1433460055111_zpslkn77lh6.jpg

FB_IMG_1433460048921_zps58cx48uy.jpg

FB_IMG_1433460043979_zpsqpb9hf06.jpg

FB_IMG_1433460037542_zpsnbngqp70.jpg

Quite pleased with it....now just need a very small amount of weathering....and to cover that bare patch on the side of the lens housing :) It's amazing how much more you see in a photograph that you don't notice when it's right in front of your nose.

• Like 2