1/72 VC10 Airways vacform (BUA)

You can never have enough VC10 photos. I want one of the Slat gearbox and the bay its fitted,just in front of Centre Tank,through the panel next to the triangular belly/wing root drop down panel.

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Small update before I head out to my model club, I have more or less finished all the scribing of the panel lines doors etc apart from the main undercarriage doors, I have sharpened the corners of the wings and tail as I thought it looked to blunt looking at photos. It looks a mess I know but will have a coat of primer to check any discrepancies.

I have bought some Badger Stynylrez primer after reading good reviews on it, and have actually tried some already on the tail surface, just need to let it dry and see if it is OK the sand back, seems to spray really good at 30psi and no thinning.

DSCN2522_zpso1sxlqc9.jpg

DSCN2527_zpsle1on8dh.jpg

DSCN2526_zpsgafi3j3v.jpg

DSCN2525_zpsxrqingyr.jpg

DSCN2524_zps38mr9xtd.jpg

DSCN2523_zpsu6crvoev.jpg

• Like 14

Very much looking forward to seeing this in the paint shop, Kev!

Thanks Tom, hopefully it will be primed by Sunday, so I will see you at MK

Me too, that looks superb Kev.... Are you going to MK this weekend? Will come find you if you are :)

Hi Radleigh yeap I will be at MK in the 2nd hall, or the naughty hall as we call it, hopefully will see you their

• Like 1

Always a treat to see this build back up on the "leader board". I've been looking and learning along with everyone else and often go back a few pages to see how you did a thing. (Those windows and the scribing: yikes!)

I flew out of Nassau, Bahamas on a VC-10 to Kingston, Jamaica back in 1967. BOAC, if memory serves. It was my first flight on passenger jet and I wasn't prepared for the angle of climb on takeoff. I swear it felt like we were going straight up. A real white knuckle experience.

I found this link very interesting. You probably have a mountain of VC-10 material but I thought I'd include it anyway.

http://www.vc10.net/History/historyBOAC.html

Cheers

• Like 1

Thanks DMC, the VC10 had a great rate of climb on take off, much better than the 707, although it did use more fuel. Its a shame the Brooklands VC10 is not kept in great condition, as it was spotless when it was in the Royal Oman service

Great stuff Kev. Panel lines are great. The small round panels,Fuel Tank Gauging units etc. Did you do those? The doubler fwd of the u/c is spot on (the wierd shaped chamfered plate) Cowling NACA Ducts, superb. Belly detail too,ELRAT door's bump,really is good. Brilliant job, as always.

Well done Kev!

A regular visitor to Brize,Had a Gold (real !) map of Oman up the front end somewhere. In his bedroom/throne room was a Gold Falcon/Eagle type bird. I worked on it Easter 1985 at Lasham.It was the cleanest VC10 I ever worked on.The Slat jack panels (inside) always had grease blobs like worm casts,not this kite though, gloss white,pristine. Still leaked though,just like the other 53 !

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1

Great stuff Kev. Panel lines are great. The small round panels,Fuel Tank Gauging units etc. Did you do those? The doubler fwd of the u/c is spot on (the wierd shaped chamfered plate) Cowling NACA Ducts, superb. Belly detail too,ELRAT door's bump,really is good. Brilliant job, as always.

Well done Kev!

A regular visitor to Brize,Had a Gold (real !) map of Oman up the front end somewhere. In his bedroom/throne room was a Gold Falcon/Eagle type bird. I worked on it Easter 1985 at Lasham.It was the cleanest VC10 I ever worked on.The Slat jack panels (inside) always had grease blobs like worm casts,not this kite though, gloss white,pristine. Still leaked though,just like the other 53 !

Thanks bzn20, I'm certainly not going to say its 100% accurate but a reasonable representation, some of the panel lines I added from photos from the Brooklands VC10

• Like 1

Just finished the initial priming stage of the VC10, to check for imperfections and such, I will rub this coat down slightly with a fine micro mesh cloth, once I am happy with every thing I'll give it one more coat of primer and it will be ready for painting.

I must say that I am really impressed with Badgers Stynylrez even though I can't pronounce it , I reduced the pressure down to 20 psi and added some thinners which I think made it spray a lot better than my first attempt on the tail section without thinning it, it does not give of any nasty smells either and does sand back without peeling.

it does look rather good in overall grey, and is trying to tempt me to convert it into a RAF tanker, but alas that would create to much work

You may notice that I have started to rub the wings and tail down in the photos as it looks a bit dusty

DSCN2542_zpsyym8ndpq.jpg

DSCN2544_zpsddzhdlzq.jpg

along side its sister, in comparison the Vanguard is not that much smaller to the Standard VC10

DSCN2545_zpsqldqhpxr.jpg

Until next time, hopefully there might be some paint on it

• Like 11

• 2 months later...

Got some paint on at last, the photo only shows the top white that I sprayed on using Tamiya rattle can, micro meshed down and finished off with Tamiya gloss sprayed through my airbrush, I have since sprayed the light grey on the wings and the bottom part of the fuselage, as I have run out of space on Photobucket, I can't show you any photos, but I had some problems because when I had unmasked the Tamiya tape to protect the white it peeled some areas of the white away, this was due to me using Stynylrez primer as it probably reacted to the Halfords filler primer I had used previously and may be didn't allow it to cure properly, or it might of been because I thinned it, it also didn't allow me to sand it back and either peeled off or left a step. Although Stynylrez is a great primer I think I need to use it next time on a scrap model to really check its capabilities.

Anyway I was able to sort the problems I had, and the next stage is get the hockey stick Sandstone and Turquoise painted, plus make up some cut templates for the BUA logos for the tail and along the fuselage

DSCN2550_zpshsbaf5io.jpg

• Like 11

Looks as though you've been busy beavering away on this one Kev. Looks very impressive I must say. It's difficult to appreciate just how big a model this will turn out to be until we see a picture with something included to give an idea of scale.

Can't wait to see the livery applied.

All the best.

Chris.

• Like 1

Cheers Chris, once I get photobucket running on another account, I'll post some photos with something to give the an indication of the scale, at the moment trying to scale the logos from photos I have

Going great Kev,the paint shows the wing route detail off a treat.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is where I am at the moment, still quite a bit to do, I must thank some britmodellers on here for their help, including bzn20, 26 decals, and turbofan. The hockey stick colours are not 100% correct but I had to use the nearest colours I had, and I'll just say they have faded LOL, as can be seen I have yet to paint the rear engines as bzn20 knows i'm a bit stumped if the engine stubs are white, aluminium, light grey, and bzn20 has indicated that it is white.

All the BUA logos etc have been created using Illustrator 10 and cut out using my Cameo cutter, and sprayed over using Tamiya black. I'm quite happy with the outcome, 26 decals helped me with the BRITISH UNITED text

DSCN2629_zpsknr8jxaa.jpg

DSCN2628_zpsjfshtwod.jpg

• Like 11