1/72 VC10 Airways vacform (BUA)

Hopefully meet you on the Bomber Command stand with Woody and Rob, need to catch up with a few others, such a big show at Telford that you can easily miss someone.

Likewise.... I'll have my 580 Modellers t-shirt on so I may be more visible this year :ninja:

• Like 1

Hopefully Kev... struggling at the minute though with back pain and really can't be bothered to finish it. Only got the props & wheels to fit too! I might have a burst on it at the weekend and get it done...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

As the christmas holiday is upon use, I have been busily working away on the VC10, modelling has been pretty slow to be honest, but I have attached the main wings to the fuselage and the T tail, I have already smoothed the joins with milliput and sanded them flush, I have also made the flap track fairings, which was made from a master and replicated 10 of these in resin using a silicon mould.

The one thing that was bugging me was the lack of detail underneath and where the wings met the fuselage, as shown in the photos, so I cut out some templates and created the curvature which I will then add the flap track fairing and other detail, and using milliput blend it all in. hopefully I shall get something more resembling the photos.

Top view

DSCN2307_zpsucekbcch.jpg

Botton view

DSCN2308_zps7upphygc.jpg

Front section of lower fuselage showing curved join

DSCN2309_zpsvl27o3dt.jpg

Photos of what I am trying to achieve

DSCN2265_zps6d5q4al8.jpg

DSCN2285_zpsa9wmyoy4.jpg

Firstly I had to scrape and cut away the detail that was originally there

DSCN2310_zpsyfkgytr9.jpg

Template for rear join on the fuselage

DSCN2305_zps7ens16j1.jpg

attached with super glue

DSCN2311_zpsfeampnbl.jpg

Anyway, hopefully I shall be able to finish all the detail and address this area, which alas is not on the Airways kit, and really can't be left out

hope you all have a good Christmas and a happy New Year

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

Hi Clive

Only a small update on this model, problem is I don't get to much time to model as much as I like, but what I have done is a little step forward, I have created templates for the windows which was first done in Illustrator 10 to get the look right and the spacing, plus I had measured the original windows from the Brooklands VC10 so I know the width and depth is OK, from this I used my Cameo cutter to cut out the shapes and after some measuring I was able to adhere the window templates to the fuselage, the biggest problem doing a civil version VC10 is to make sure every thing lines up because of the livery which has stripes leading all the way along the fuselage and if the windows are in the wrong place everything will look wrong, I think I got all the windows spaced correctly but I might have to put the windows a little higher up or even move the engines a bit higher to make everything look OK, once I am happy where everything goes I shall spray some grey primer over the windows, remove all the cut out templates to reveal the sandy colour underneath, this will then help me to cut out and file the windows in the correct position, I have also scribed the doors and freight door. The whole model will need scribing as well, which I do find very boring and have to be in the right mood.

The other thing you may of noticed is that I had to close up the passenger door, the reason for this is, that I had positioned it to low to be inline with the other doors position, so all the work that I had done to show the door open was wasted, which is a shame but I am afraid had to be done otherwise it would of looked wrong, so the moral of this story is check everything and plan ahead.

DSCN2431_zpseaxr3smf.jpg

I had to look at a few BUA photos to make sure I had the right amount of windows on each side as they slightly differ to RAF VC10

DSCN2429_zpsqouu4ifl.jpg

Always best to look at the subject you are modelling to make sure everything is OK rather than scale plans

DSCN2433_zpsmyz7izzi.jpg

Engines are only attached temporary and will need panel lines scribed

DSCN2445_zpsspytoqvm.jpg

Underneath the fuselage had to be completely scratch build to show the step where the wings join the fuselage, plus some other detail, still need to add all the pipe work and cables for the undercarriage bay

DSCN2442_zpsqmumbib9.jpg

Wing tips had to be modified for this version 1103

• Like 9

Looks impressive Kev, worth every bit of the painstaking work

Its a shame about the interior bits but as there'll be a truly fab VC10 afterwards you have too look at it as worthwhile

I'm loving this

b

• Like 1

Cheers Perdu

I have also decided to reposition the windows as they need slightly moving up, this will also effect where the engines are as they will also need moving up as well

I'd have thought the stubs/engines are in the right place Kev or did you move the Stubwing slot lower ? Don't envy you on the window repostioning though.

• Like 1

Looking at photos of the VC10 the bottom of the passenger windows is lined up with the stub wing of the engine, because the BUA scheme has this distinctive gold/brownish and blue line I have to make sure everything lines up, also the passenger windows are lined up centrally to the cockpit, but to be honest the engine needs to be moved up about 4mm

• Like 1

Thats quite a bit.Do you still need pics of SIX in BUA and BCAL colours? I have some. I sent you a PM BTW

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Another small update, from my previous post I had positioned the windows where I wanted them to be, since then though I have re-positioned them to a better alignment, once I was fully happy I sprayed some Tamiya grey over these areas of the windows, allowed this to dry then peeled off the cut out windows, revealing the colour underneath, in this case the yellow primer, this then allowed me to see where I should cut out the windows and sand too shape

Funnily enough I was expecting this to be tedious job but in the end it was quite therapeutic.

Next stage will be to finish scribing the doors and adding some more detail, plus moving the engine up a bit

DSCN2460_zpszxeifaja.jpg

DSCN2459_zpsa4e7kfem.jpg

DSCN2457_zpspm1905is.jpg

• Like 10

That's one job that scares me, might have to send my work to you when the time comes LOL ;)

Great work Kev, really looking forward to seeing this done.

Thanks Radleigh, it was not to bad in the end, took me a couple of nights to drill and sand all the windows out, but it was a job that need doing, I will bring it along to the Milton Keynes model show

Great job Kev !

Thanks, getting there but very slowly

Me too Kev, I'm sure I can help with your therapeutic needs in the future!!

How have you cut the windows out? They're not round, so not simply drilling a hole.

Great work :)

Thanks Woody, I cut the windows out by first drilling 4 holes with a small drill then cut these out with a sharp blade, and finishing it off with a rounded metal file to give the shape required

73 windows in total on this particular VC10, port side has 35 windows and the starboard has 38 windows

• Like 1

Thanks Woody, I cut the windows out by first drilling 4 holes with a small drill then cut these out with a sharp blade, and finishing it off with a rounded metal file to give the shape required

73 windows in total on this particular VC10, port side has 35 windows and the starboard has 38 windows

This is why I keep visiting here - learning what modellers do - it is way beyond impressive.

• Like 1

That truly is a work of art Kev

A lot of "Tenderness" for the old bird showing through in this build

And skills a'plenty

Thanks Perdu.

This is why I keep visiting here - learning what modellers do - it is way beyond impressive.

Cheers Mike, I also learn a lot from other modellers on here as well

Really impressive Kev.

Keep looking in to see how it's progressing and always seem to learn something new,

Keep up the good work

Chris.

Thanks Chris

I have no idea how I have missed this one until now, some real modelling going on, super work Kev

Thanks Graeme