1/72 VC10 Airways vacform (BUA)

I DON'T miss rubbing down them two lines of primer on the underside, we used to have to stand under it with a DA for hours sanding them to bare metal for them to be inspected. Also, another sod was the one you can see just below the cheatline and above the wing leading edge to the right of the photo... ran the whole length of the wing root.

That aside, looking good Kev... :)

Probably where your bad back came from

Great stuff Kev, just come across this, (don't travel about as much as I used to !), coming along rather nicely...engines particularly looking a treat. Always fancied having a go at one of these myself and have suggested it to the Airfix boffins a couple of times....and of course just when you'll have finished yours.......ahem !

• Like 1

Great stuff Kev, just come across this, (don't travel about as much as I used to !), coming along rather nicely...engines particularly looking a treat. Always fancied having a go at one of these myself and have suggested it to the Airfix boffins a couple of times....and of course just when you'll have finished yours.......ahem !

Cheers General, it is certainly easier in some ways than my Vanguard build. It would be nice if Airfix did a 1/72 VC10 but I can't see it happening, its a massive model, but never say never

• Like 1

Kev, I offer apologies! You right -- me wrong!

The only feeble apology I can offer is that VC10 wing was in such a state of constant turmoil, customer version by customer version, that I mistakenly pounced on what I assumed to be an error. Which wasn't...

Anyway, I remain glued to my seat and breathless!

Kev, I offer apologies! You right -- me wrong!

The only feeble apology I can offer is that VC10 wing was in such a state of constant turmoil, customer version by customer version, that I mistakenly pounced on what I assumed to be an error. Which wasn't...

Anyway, I remain glued to my seat and breathless!

That's OK, I prefer if someone told me if there was something wrong, so I can look at my reference, keeps me on my toes

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Kev

it was great meeting you at the Farnbrough show and now I have seen this beast for real I'm considering having a go myself, you are doing a mighty fine job on her and that Vanguard was bloody awesome thanks for sharing some time with me at the show, you have made a really impressive start to your VC-10 and so if the Vanguard is a marker to go by then she will look fantastic.

Cheers Clive

• Like 1

Thanks Clive

Glad to meet you as well, always good to put a face to a name, it was a good show overall. As RAM is releasing the old Airways kit, it might be cheaper than ebay prices, and Mel at S&M is doing a VC10 may be for next year, but I know he is going to release the Hastings soon

Kev

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Clive

Glad to meet you as well, always good to put a face to a name, it was a good show overall. As RAM is releasing the old Airways kit, it might be cheaper than ebay prices, and Mel at S&M is doing a VC10 may be for next year, but I know he is going to release the Hastings soon

Kev

£46.99 with 4 different decal options... Very excited about this! :)

http://www.rammodels.co.uk/index.php/cPath/65

• Like 1

Hi Kev

anymore progress on this fine work of art I'm still considering getting one but its that new territory feeling thats putting me off.

Clive

Hi Clive

Working very slowly on this, don't get much time on the bench as I would like, at the moment I'm painting the interior, not much really to photograph to be honest.

The Airways (RAM) vacform is OK, but it really depends how much you want to put into it and also how accurate a VC10 you can get from this kit

Hi Kev

It was great to catch up with you at Farnbrough and chat about both the Vicky-ten and your superb masterpiece of a Vanguard

Seeing and having held your work so far really is something else - your attention to detail is a league ahead of mine. Those engines you had at Farnborough had some much depth and tweaking detail I cant wait to see how the build pans out.

I had another shufty at both the Vanguard and the Vicky-ten at Abingdon last Saturday - I couldn't see you but I video'd the Vanguard and showed my Dad it on Sunday (as I mentioned to you at Farnborough he flew these for BEA in his early pilot days) and he thought it was superb and asked if I could build the same - like hell I could ! :nono:

• Like 1

I've only just happened across this build. No idea how I missed this.

Great job so far Kev. The cooler MOD heat exchanger (fin grills) looks great as do the cooler MOD NACA duct intakes. The dorsal fin L/edge is quite sharp the top angle that joins the top of of the 2 Fibre Glass panels,above the cooler MOD heat exchanger, is quite a bit less than 90 degrees.

The inbd wing leading edge extensions were fitted to all VC10s (including the retro fit to the prototype) except the BOAC Standards so Nigerian,RAF K2,Gulf and UAE A/F didn't have them either.

I might have missed it but how did you do the reverser grills? Like the cowling detailing.Cockpit windows look really good.The downturned Kuchemann wing tips? Looking forward to see how you do those,top man!

Last question..Have you got a 3D printer or get someone to do that?

Edited by bzn20

Hi Kev

It was great to catch up with you at Farnbrough and chat about both the Vicky-ten and your superb masterpiece of a Vanguard

Seeing and having held your work so far really is something else - your attention to detail is a league ahead of mine. Those engines you had at Farnborough had some much depth and tweaking detail I cant wait to see how the build pans out.

I had another shufty at both the Vanguard and the Vicky-ten at Abingdon last Saturday - I couldn't see you but I video'd the Vanguard and showed my Dad it on Sunday (as I mentioned to you at Farnborough he flew these for BEA in his early pilot days) and he thought it was superb and asked if I could build the same - like hell I could ! :nono:

Thanks for the comment, sorry I missed you at Abingdon, probably in the other room, I'm glad your dad liked my model of the Vanguard

I've only just happened across this build. No idea how I missed this.

Great job so far Kev. The cooler MOD heat exchanger (fin grills) looks great as do the cooler MOD NACA duct intakes. The dorsal fin L/edge is quite sharp the top angle that joins the top of of the 2 Fibre Glass panels,above the cooler MOD heat exchanger, is quite a bit less than 90 degrees.

The inbd wing leading edge extensions were fitted to all VC10s (including the retro fit to the prototype) except the BOAC Standards so Nigerian,RAF K2,Gulf and UAE A/F didn't have them either.

I might have missed it but how did you do the reverser grills? Like the cowling detailing.Cockpit windows look really good.The downturned Kuchemann wing tips? Looking forward to see how you do those,top man!

Last question..Have you got a 3D printer or get someone to do that?

The reverser grills were 3D printed, luckily where I work they have a industrial standard 3D printer that prints pretty fine stuff, but at £40,000 it should do, the artwork was done in Rhino5, I also done the wheels and the engine blades.

Another small update but quite a large step forward, as I have painted the interior with some artistic license, most of the detail will be hidden in any case, hopefully I shall be at a stage where I can glue the fuselage together

vc10%20interior_1_zpskspo67m1.jpg

vc10%20interior_zpsqhlvp1ge.jpg

• Like 12

• 3 weeks later...

OK, another update, as you can see I have got both fuselage half's together, needed a bit of filler here and there but nothing to bad for a vacform, sprayed the whole lot with Halford filler primer and rubbed back again, I shall give it a couple of coats more later on and micro mesh every thing to a smooth finish. The one thing I have noticed and will need some alterations is where the body meets the wings underneath, as it doesn't really represent what should be there.

Once I'm happy I can then start to cut out all the windows, and start to scribe some panel lines and doors etc

vc10%20body_2_zpsh0llx4er.jpg

I have marked out roughly what needs adding, a bit of filler here and there should be OK to get the shape right

vc10%20body_zpst7y1zygx.jpg

I have also rounded the end of the tail

vc10%20body_1_zpshaswbhns.jpg

• Like 8

Coming along nicely Kev, big job though!

keith

Thanks Keith, yes its a big vacform, but goes together quite well considering its a vacform, with a bit more filler than our normal run of the mill kit

Fill, sand, prime, fill, sand, prime.....

Progressing nicely Kev :thumbsup:

Yeap, you got that right, hopefully if I can get all the main parts finished I will be able once they have been scribed as well start assembling them altogether

Looking great, Kev!

Tom

Cheers Tom, hope to see you at Telford

Excellent progress Kev, looking forwards to seeing it finished next you your Vanguard at Telford, there's 228 hours left yet to get it over the line ;)

Thanks Woody, the Vanguard will be in the Competition hall, I will bring the VC10 and have it on the table at the club stand, but probably will be in the same stage as I am at now, looking forward to seeing you at Telford

What a beautiful picture Kev, makes a chap think "wow, I reckon I want one of they moddles now!"

Shouldnt be too bad to put on track

given two or three packs of Milliput :)

Cheers Perdu, as you know its been released again

Good progress Kev, be nice to see it in the flesh as it were.......hopefully catch up with you at the show at some point.....

Hopefully meet you on the Bomber Command stand with Woody and Rob, need to catch up with a few others, such a big show at Telford that you can easily miss someone.

• Like 2