1/72 VC10 Airways vacform (BUA)

You may notice that I had cut a bit of the tip of the fuselage off, the model is now the correct length of 566.42mm (more or less) RAF versions are probably a bit longer as they have the APU

• Like 2

looking good - great to see another VC10 on the bench

While doing a bit of TV channel flicking last week, I ended up watching 5 mins of "Born Free" just as they returned to Nairobi on a VC10 with the docking safari branded steps - A sad reminder that we wont be seeing anymore flying Tens in our skies now.. :weep:

keep up the good work

• Like 1

This is superb, I've always wanted a big VC-10 as my grandad was chief airframe engineer on her at Vickers at Brooklands. Your doing a sterling job so far and I'm hoping that Airfix or the like will produce an injection kit of her. I've always admired the VC-10 it was a graceful aircraft and there will be nothing like her ever again.

Clive

Edited by SHAR67
  • Like 1

This is superb, I've always wanted a big VC-10 as my grandad was chief airframe engineer on her at Vickers at Brooklands. Your doing a sterling job so far and I'm hoping that Airfix or the like will produce an injection kit of her. I've always admired the VC-10 it was a graceful aircraft and there will be nothing like her ever again.

Clive

Totally agree with you there Clive - "there will be nothing like her ever again"

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Small update, the rear engines are more or less finished with all the vents added etc, just a case of tidying some areas up then I can prime the engine, and scribe some panel lines.

It should be noted that the Brooklands VC10 engine stub wing is straight at the back and has not got a kink in it as some VC10 photos indicate, I have also made the front part angled and the rear flat. I have also tried to make the engine blend in where it is attached to the stub to give a curvature appearance, this is only on the top and is not at the bottom, its not really that clear in the photo, but I ran some Milliput in and smoothed it in with my finger.

All comments welcome, good or bad

engine_zpsb9kyr5nt.jpg

• Like 12

Wow,.....brilliant job!

Having built this kit myself many years ago (which is nowhere near this fantastic standard!) I can appreciate the effort which has done into this.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Wow,.....brilliant job!

Having built this kit myself many years ago (which is nowhere near this fantastic standard!) I can appreciate the effort which has done into this.

Cheers

Tony

Thanks Tony, its not a bad kit as Vacform models go

Absolutely superb! Loved your Vanguard, Varsity and Devon at Telford last year, hopefully may see the VC10 made up or as a WIP this year? Cheers, Paul

Thanks Paul, hopefully see you at Telford

superb engines

This is going to be fabulous Kev

Thanks Perdu

Inspirational!

Cheers, still a long way to go though

Looking great, Kev. Another masterpiece in the making.

Tom

Thanks, Tom, always a pleasure to get good feed back from the Vacform master

Nothing bad to say here, some great work going on Kev... I can't wait to see it! :)

Hi, Radleigh thanks again, I will have it at Telford, but what stage it will be at, I don't know

yes - that is so true.

Thanks Fritag

• Like 1

Another small but important update on my build of the VC10, wings have been attached to each half, the Airways kit has quite evident panel lines, so I decided to fill these over with some P38 car filler and sand it flat, and then give it a coat of Halfords car filler paint to see any imperfections. The wheel bays will be detailed and I have decided to use 3D modelling software for this purpose as it looks quite complex and something I might struggle with to scratch build properly. As you might be aware by now that this is going to be based on the Brooklands VC10, one thing that is different is the wing tips so I will change these.

vc10wing_zpswsppfanc.jpg

vc10wing_1_zpsymdwjmcs.jpg

Until next time

• Like 2

Sorry, but I can see another coat of Halfords yellowy stuff being needed. The Brooklands example doesn't have the wing chord extension which the kit features. That needs taking back to a straight line. plus the fuselage fillet where it meets the wing will need to be adjusted to fit.

Sorry, but I can see another coat of Halfords yellowy stuff being needed. The Brooklands example doesn't have the wing chord extension which the kit features. That needs taking back to a straight line. plus the fuselage fillet where it meets the wing will need to be adjusted to fit.

Cheers I will have a look at my reference photos

.........the Airways kit has quite evident panel lines, so I decided to fill these over with some P38 car filler and sand it flat, and then give it a coat of Halfords car filler paint to see any imperfections. ......

Is P38 your recommendation for filling panel lines Kev? Never tried it (tried several things of course). Does it take subsequent over-scribing well?

Is P38 your recommendation for filling panel lines Kev? Never tried it (tried several things of course). Does it take subsequent over-scribing well?

To be honest I stole the idea from Tom's vac builds, it seems to work fine and is easily sanded back, although it does not fully get rid of the panel lines even after a good coat of filler primer, but it should be OK to re-scribe over

Regarding the wing chord extensions I have looked at the photo I have and does show the step, if I am correct at what you were saying

I believe series 1101 had straight wings but series 1103 such as the Brooklands VC10 has the wing chord extension

DSC_4723_zps8ylydr89.jpg

• Like 2

I DON'T miss rubbing down them two lines of primer on the underside, we used to have to stand under it with a DA for hours sanding them to bare metal for them to be inspected. Also, another sod was the one you can see just below the cheatline and above the wing leading edge to the right of the photo... ran the whole length of the wing root.

That aside, looking good Kev... :)

• Like 1