1/72 VC10 Airways vacform (BUA)

Kev if you go to your pic at the top of post #22 the curved piece at the base is really a straight vertical which has a small trim panel all up its trailing edge that is actually a flat piece that cuts the airflow as a tee section

I first noticed that some time ago and it did feature in a build I remember, almost certainly in here

I dont think it will take much looking to research it, I'll have a look tomorrow

Kev if you go to your pic at the top of post #22 the curved piece at the base is really a straight vertical which has a small trim panel all up its trailing edge that is actually a flat piece that cuts the airflow as a tee section

I first noticed that some time ago and it did feature in a build I remember, almost certainly in here

I dont think it will take much looking to research it, I'll have a look tomorrow

Hi Perdu, still not 100% sure which part you mean, if you have photo showing this

Cheers

Kev

Kev I'm sorry but I have virtually no decent shots of the VC10 but if you follow one of the links on the tags for this build to Radleigh's visit to Brize you can see on a couple of the very atmospheric shots some of what I mean

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234975329-vc10s-and-tristars-raf-brize-norton-2-belfast-shots/

There is a close up from behind of the lower rudder upstand and you can make out the flat trim spoiler across the trailing edge just about

And just had a quick scan round with Googly and found this:

The rudder 'looks' like a curved thing but is actually three straight lines

And each individual trailing edge has a flat piece across it, making a sort of tee shaped edge

Where you'd think it was a sharp finished edge but it isn't

17399988186_94041d8924_c.jpg

Sorry if this is useless info, the Ten is kinda special and I so enjoy seeing one built

Edited by perdu

And each individual trailing edge has a flat piece across it, making a sort of tee shaped edge

Where you'd think it was a sharp finished edge but it isn't

Great picture; I'd never noticed the "coke bottle" profile of the tailcone. I guess that flat piece on the trailing edge of the rudder works a bit like a Gurney flap?

Kirk

Great picture; I'd never noticed the "coke bottle" profile of the tailcone. I guess that flat piece on the trailing edge of the rudder works a bit like a Gurney flap?

Kirk

A lot of 50's jets have that on the rudder when you look close at photo's. Kept the airflow organized and stopped the rudder from inducing random yaw under certain conditions. Cheaper than redisigning the whole rudder. Keeping sharp trailing edges turned out to be not worth the effort as a tiny flaw would ruin the airflow. Take a look at a Dash-8 trailing edge on the flap. Literaly looks like an I-beam!

• Like 2

I have some photos Kev on my hard drive, if I remember tonight I will dig some out and post up. They might be of use..

Cheers Radleigh, if you have photos on the top part of the engines and the top of the T tail, all my info will be based on the Brooklands VC10 as there are some noticeable differences.

• Like 1

A lot of 50's jets have that on the rudder when you look close at photo's. Kept the airflow organized and stopped the rudder from inducing random yaw under certain conditions. Cheaper than redisigning the whole rudder. Keeping sharp trailing edges turned out to be not worth the effort as a tiny flaw would ruin the airflow. Take a look at a Dash-8 trailing edge on the flap. Literaly looks like an I-beam!

At the risk of drifting off topic, it continually surprises me when getting up close and personal with real aircraft how "dirty" they appear to be aerodynamically. The 152s and 172s I did my PPL in have quite deliberate 'corrugations' on the control surfaces designed to induce all sorts of clever turbulent flows to improve their performance close to the stall etc. My favourite bit is the bent bit of metal on the base of the rudder to counteract propeller wash. Not the polished smooth sleek machines I imagined.

So, big sticky-outy strips on the trailing edge of the rudder come as no great surprise even in the 2nd fastest passenger airliner...

Kirk

Just got back from Brooklands, had a great day their, took loads of photos of the VC10, looked at the tail and realised what Perdu was talking about. Chatted to the staff, one was the flight engineer on BOAC VC10's, got plenty of information including the length of the fuselage for the Standard civil version VC10, which if anyone is interested is 133' 8", (1/72 scale is 566.42mm) looking at the AIrways kit is actually spot on as the Airways kit is a little longer but as the kit is for the military version it has the APU on the tail, which the Brooklands one has not.

DSC_4978_zpswp0bw6bo.jpg

This I believe you mean Perdu

• Like 1

The important question is whether you would have picked up on the 'straight not curved' rudder shape if I hadn't opened my big gob Kev

;)

I love how you tackle these awkward jobs

Disappointed that I missed Brooklands Classic Cars Meeting this New Year's Day, it's an event I try not to miss even though it a long run down from Brum, in my Midget

Usually get some nice aircraft photos down there

The important question is whether you would have picked up on the 'straight not curved' rudder shape if I hadn't opened my big gob Kev

;)

I love how you tackle these awkward jobs

Disappointed that I missed Brooklands Classic Cars Meeting this New Year's Day, it's an event I try not to miss even though it a long run down from Brum, in my Midget

Usually get some nice aircraft photos down there

Yeap picked that up on other photos, plus the different wing tip configuration on this particular VC10

They had the MG meet at Brooklands today, that starts their and finishes in Brighton, they also had 100's of Lotus cars and the Borgward owners club, never seen them before, but nice looking cars

• Like 1

The other thing I will have to do is alter the boom on the tail,and give it more curvature as the kit is to straight, I'd imagine it would be similar on the top view, so if anyone can help

DSC_4976_zpsh0av0nk5.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Small update, I have completed the tail section, sprayed some Tamiya primer on, so I can check for areas that need re-doing, micromesh the primer down and scribe the panel lines on.

7d119eb6-e3a2-4ce0-9525-700953e7b377_zps

DSC_5057_zpsqikkhg9r.jpg

Next I can start on the engines

• Like 12

• 3 weeks later...

Small update, I have begun to build the engines, I have decided to use the Anigrand VC10 engine fronts which I will take a resin copy off, and glue this to the vacform engine, the Anigrand seemed to have the engine blades in the wrong place, so these have been removed before I take a resin copy.

I have added some of the vents and various holes that are evident on the VC10 engines, the small vents will be made by cutting out square sections where the vents will be located, filled with milliput then a impression of the vent will be pushed into the milliput and allowed to dry

I have yet to decide how to tackle the grills at the rear of the engines, I had plans to draw these in Rhino and have them printed out

DSC_5059_zps8t23v9u4.jpg

DSC_5061_zpsrpgbtlrj.jpg

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

Time for a update, if anyone thought I had given up on this, not yet anyway. I have finished detailing the interior using reference photos from Brooklands, I was told that the front galley is the original when it flew in BUA colours and was not altered. This section only needed detailing as the rest will not be seen and its not worth adding passenger seats as the windows are to small anyway.

The only other thing now is to make the 5 cockpit seats, and then I will be ready for priming and then final painting

vc10%20interior_zpslryaljnd.jpg

vc10%20interior_4_zpsj9x4cjo5.jpg

vc10%20interior_5_zps7nr6jwbi.jpg

You may notice that I have cut the front part of the fuselage away, not really necessary to be honest, but I thought it might be easy for me when assembling the cockpit interior, I have added some internal details here as well, most of this will be hidden when its all closed up.

vc10%20interior_2_zps6tfpjmzt.jpg

vc10%20interior_3_zpsmiul5ycj.jpg

The other end with plastic inserts

vc10%20interior_7_zps4rof0zgw.jpg

From my previous post I mentioned I was casting the front of the engine intakes that I took a mould from the Anigrand kit, this shows complete and attached to the fans that i had 3D printed

vc10%20interior_6_zpszlfpyjju.jpg

The other thing I was able to do, was to print the wheels on the 3D printer, all the dimensions for these were obtained from the Brooklands VC10

vc10%20interior_8_zpsoqb4nayd.jpg

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...

Small update, I have attached the nose of the VC10 onto the main fuselage and added strengthening struts from old sprue to give it some support, I will have to work out how much weight it will need to stop it from being a tail sitter.

Once the interior is painted I can then close the 2 halves up, the windows will be cut out at a later date, it's just proving to me how big this aircraft is

DSC_1379_zpspp8oiqva.jpg

DSC_1380_zpsgsinu7rg.jpg

Tail section temporarily fitted

DSC_1381_zpsjt8g9ptz.jpg

• Like 12