1/72 VC10 Airways vacform (BUA)

I thought I might start this build, Airways VC10 vacform, I was considering doing the military version, but keeping things Brooklands orientated I shall make this particular VC10 in BUA colours registration number G-ASIX, I might open one of the passenger doors and add some detail, I also have the Anigrand kit but will just take the wheels and make some resin copies, anyway it will not be a quick build but hopefully not as long as the Vanguard took me, I did visit Brooklands last month but could not get any photos of her as they were doing some major work on the wings and most of her was fenced off, but there is plenty to get me started, in the mean time if any one has photos that they have of G-ASIX in BUA colours or Caledonian would be much appreciated,

http://www.airliners.net/photo/British-United-Airways/Vickers-VC10-Srs1103/0726123/L/&sid=d0da64434e0ee3037e3eb68c0ebb3f72

DSC_4645_zpsgbside1w.jpg

DSC_4646_zpsssjm6fqf.jpg

• Like 6

Well if the Vanguard is anything to go by I can not wait for this, being a big lover of the VC-10!

Not my photos, but typed the reg into Flickr came back with these -

https://www.flickr.com/photos/alfgarnett/4229083147/sizes/o/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/53277566@N06/5343182509/sizes/l

https://www.flickr.com/photos/38921598@N05/4306217067/sizes/o/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nickopix/14097388458/sizes/o/

:)

• Like 1

Enjoy building it, not too many things to look out for once you know which aircraft you want to get out of it.

Really looking forward to watching this build as we now own the former Airways toolings.

Would there be any chance of a copy of the instructions etc ? I am collecting any literature from the kits so that I have can build a history of the kits.

Regards Martin

Which ones do you need, I've got quite a few of them? Scans ok or do you want photocopies?

Steve

• Like 1

good luck - this is a large bit of vacform to tackle - hope thos 2 fuselage halves go together OK and without any twisting or major gaps

I keep promising myself to think about starting my 1/72 Anigrad Vicky 10 sometime in the next year

I will be following your built with interest

• Like 1

I have sanded all the parts and test fitted the main parts, which seem to fit perfectly, below is a list of things I am considering doing

slightly dropping the leading edge slats and adding some detail

opening up the cabin door and detailing the interior

cutting out all the horizontal and vertical flaps on the wings and tail

detailing the main undercarriage

using the wheels from the Anigrand kit and make resin copies

also using the same kit, and take copies of the front of the engines

There probably is other things I will do but will just have to see how it plans out

I will put some internal bulk heads in the main fuselage to strengthen it, attach the main fuselage together fill all the panel lines, spray with filler paint and re-scribe, also when the two half's are together cut all the passenger windows out.

Taking a leaf out of Toms C17 build, cut the front off the fuselage, so I can detail the cockpit and also add the nose weight, and the front undercarriage bay.

Anyway will need to get to Brooklands once again to take some more photos, which will be a priority as it will help me with this build, this certainly is not going to be a rushed build, although none of my models are LOL

I think it will look quite attractive in this scheme

0726123_zpsizrvusxc.jpg

• Like 6

Rather than start another thread, does anyone know the fuselage dimensions of the Standard VC10, I know its 158' 8" but is that the measurement from the nose to the tip of the horizontal tail, or from nose tip to the end of the cone on the fuselage

I am only asking as I am scaling up a 1/96 drawing to 1/72 to be printed out

OK, well I am going to make the assumption that the measurement is from the nose to the tip of the horizontal tail section. I've taped the fuselage, vertical and horizontal tail sections together and laid them on a steel ruler knowing that it is 158' 8" which is about 672mm in 1/72 scale, but the model measures 662mm, so the Airways kit is about 10mm to short somewhere, I also measured the Anigrand kit which is about 6mm to short

Not really much to report, but I have been messing around with Rhino5, and made the 4 engine intake fans, it looks a bit messy in the photo, but actually came out really well considering they are only about 16.8mm in diameter, will be using the same technique for the wheels, once I have been to Brooklands and taken measurements

IMG_0875_zpsaylqgasn.jpg

• Like 3

Well I have started on this, and decided to tackle the T tail on the VC10, I have noticed that there is a distinctive thin spine that leads up to the vertical tail half way, as shown in the photos, so I decided to cut this piece out and scratch build it, as you can see I have only cut the shape out, this will need building up and shaping, and also adding the air vent on either side, I have also 3D printed the grill which I would of struggled to replicate my self, but as the technology is there then I thought why not use it. All the tail sections have been cut out as well, the vertical section of the tail will also be scratch built as i was not happy with vacform, as there is a noticeable kink

vc10%20tail%20section_zpsihlwlt0w.jpg

vc10%20tail%20section_1_zpsd9lhakm3.jpg

vc10-2_zps50wqgnr8.jpg

vc10-1_zpstg3z3seo.jpg

• Like 7

Also just realised that I had completely forgotten about is that I had joined the Non injected group build, so if the Mods can move this to there please, I don't think it will be finished on time mind you anyway

You wont be forgetting the straight upright bit of the trailing edge of the rudder and its associated flow spoiler either will you?

That leading edge is going to be good, I love finding and MAKING that kind of extra bit on a model

You wont be forgetting the straight upright bit of the trailing edge of the rudder and its associated flow spoiler either will you?

That leading edge is going to be good, I love finding and MAKING that kind of extra bit on a model

What bit is that