Percival MewGull "Miss Liverpool"

Hello everybody!

image001.jpg

I would like to know what is drawing of the noseart on this beautiful AEKL...?

It's like a bird but which bird? No, it's not beep beep...!!!

And the upper color, Black...?

I hope finish my Dekno model with no big mistake.

Thank you very much, and my apologize for my mistake english...

Lionel

Hi Lionel,

That's an excellent choice for the Dekno kit. Hi hope you put it next to Grosvenor House.

Have you looked in Flight archive in dates near Tom Campbell Black accident? Perhaps you'll find more photos of the aircraft.

For colours, is Liverpool identified by any colour? May be here lies the answer.

Please post the build progress.

Carlos

This is another view showing the Liver Bird in some more detail.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5086/5354795159_dbdc127a38.jpg

This seems to be a close match

https://peterquiggins.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/liverbird.jpg

This is a favourite of mine though!

https://ratnodp.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/liverbird02_80052533.jpg

Trevor the Scouser

Thank you Carlos for remember me the very good Fligth Archive... i found a good drawing of the cockpit and panel.

I think the color was Black as the uppers surfaces

I' try to make something like the liverbird you show Trevor, with my paintbrush...

I'll post in the WIP in the day

Lionel

Hi Lionel,

One thing to remember about the Dekno kit is that it represents G-AFAA which was Edgar Percival's own racer and a one-off.

The wingspan was 22'-9" as opposed to the other Mew Gulls which were 24'-9". This works out at around 8.4mm in 1/72 scale which is quite noticeable in such a tiny model.

The cockpit roof-line was also different but in this scale could probably be ignored.

It's a pity that Dekno chose this aircraft to model. Had they chosen any of the Schlesinger racers a whole range of colour schemes would have been possible.

To my knowledge, the only accurate kit of the Schlesinger racers was made by Kiwi Resin in 1/48 scale. It's not in his current range as I believe sales were disappointingly low and he discontinued it.

The Heritage kit is totally inaccurate for any version. Best ignored!

The late Harry Robinson produced very good drawings of these aircraft - worth getting hold of if you can find them. "Bent Throttles", the magazine of the racing and record IPMS SIG reproduced them in one of their back issues which were available online to members.They also had an appraisal of existing kits at the time.

Hope this is of some use.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thank you very much for the difference between the wingspans... I'm arrived near the painting process but i think i will cut wings to make longer...

4,2mm per wing, it's loud...

For the cockpit, it's will stay be the same for this model !! Too smaller to do something!

I don't find anything in "Bent Throttles". Only a number of their magazine, the December 2006, n°39 . I would like to pay and download it but it's not possible...

Lionel

Hi Lionel,

Sorry you had difficulty with the site.

Here's what you need to do: Go to "Log In", "Don't have an account" and then fill in the registration form. When you've registered, click on "Welcome to our new site" and go to "About Us". That should tell you how to pay and use the site.

If you have trouble here, email me direct and I'll try to help.

The Kiwi Mew is discontinued? It was NEW a year ago (or so) when I got mine!

Hi Bob

I got mine last year too. I went on Dave Lochead's site last week and there was no trace of the Mew. Shortly after I received mine, I gave Dave some feedback (Size of decals was wrong, mine had a few air-holes in awkward places but overall, a nice little kit). He sent replacements very quickly - great service! Some other suggestions I made were broadly agreed to but he said he wouldn't alter the mould due to the poor response he'd had. At that point I think it was still in single figures and he stood to only break even at best.

My guess is that the moulds are still usable and he might do something to order. I was going to do a write-up for Bent Throttles (Racing and Record SIG) but a serious illness towards the middle of last year put a halt to that. I didn't see much publicity about it, just a mention on Hyper S.

Dave

Dave

John,

Such a sorry sight! What scale are they? I really wish these had been made available whatever the scale.

I built a 1/72 Mew Gull from a vac-form many years ago. I think it was by Airframe and it was an uphill struggle from start to finish. I wish one of these had been around.

I see E.P.'s personal Mew and the little bob-tailed creation that started the series off.

Was there a third master planned for the three Schlesinger aircraft?

Dave