Morane-Saulnier MS406C.1

bobster

Bonjour,

If it is OK, here is my entry for the GB...

A couple of box shots

16900425607_b569cbdf5e_b.jpgBox (1 of 1) by arrjaytee, on Flickr

16921616129_2abbd06df1_b.jpgBox2 (1 of 1) by arrjaytee, on Flickr

Sprues and decals

17107818195_4449d79734_b.jpgSprues_1 (1 of 1) by arrjaytee, on Flickr

16921616089_895da25418_b.jpgDecals (1 of 1) by arrjaytee, on Flickr

A bit of progress....

16485380014_45814bb41b_b.jpgCockpit (1 of 1) by arrjaytee, on Flickr

17107161631_a6265db434_b.jpgTacked together (1 of 1) by arrjaytee, on Flickr

The internals needed a bit of of modifying to fit into position correctly, but so far so good. Just taped together to check the fit, looking good and hassle free hopefully :)

Rob.

• Like 7

I'll watch this with interest: looks nice so far andit will be instructive to see how it compares with the Hobby Boss quickbuild.

The cockpit as provided is definitely much better!

Bienvenue Rob!

Good to have another one of these in the GB, it wouldn't be the same without the D.520's ugly sister, it'll be interesting to contrast Azur's approach vs the Hobby Boss kit which Charlie C-67 is building in this thread http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234978758-hobbyboss-ms406-in-palestine/#entry1953909.

Good progress so far.

Wez

Edited by Wez

Bonjour,

If it is OK, here is my entry for the GB...

<clip<

The internals needed a bit of of modifying to fit into position correctly, but so far so good. Just taped together to check the fit, looking good and hassle free hopefully :)

Rob.

Looks like a sound basic for a Morane 406!

I have been playing with either this or HobbyBoss as a quick built Morane. As this has the wing strips already moulded and not too wide nose intake I'm leaning to this direction especially as I have during the years built from Heller and Hasegawa several 406's with both Hispano and Klimov engines and would like to have an MS 410 this time.

Cheers,

AaCee

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

I have made some good progress on this one, it is now all closed up...

17501575331_e9451918f6_b.jpgMoraine Saulnier (1 of 1) by Bob, on Flickr

I've lost a picture of the cockpit prior to closing up, but it went together well, and the supplied seat belts, although a bit oversize, finished the 'pit off well.

Rob

Edited by bobster
  • Like 2

Thanks All, although I have dropped in and out of this one, it has been an enjoyable build...I have held off painting for a little while, as I have been thinking that if I am painting one French fighter, I may as well add a couple of others at the same time.....:)

Stew, I think I'm going for camo option D, although the camo presented on the back of the box is much more random than the one displayed in the printed instructions...hmmm. I have an Azur MC.410 kit (basically the same kit) as well and I might build that one as camo A, so I then have both a Czech and Polish piloted example. With a bit of research I have found out the stories of the four pilots represented here and their future RAF service. Very brave and dedicated chaps.

Rob.

Edited by bobster
  • Like 1

Good choices Rob, that does seem to be a problem with early-war French camouflage schemes, they are partly the subject of interpretation from a black-and-white photograph - perhaps a couple of photographs if the model designers are lucky - and anything that isn't in the photograph is guessed at - of course there is no other way around it pending the invention of a working time machine.

I look forward to seeing more; you are really tempting me to get the Azur MS.406 out of my stash...

Cheers,

Stew

Good choices Rob, that does seem to be a problem with early-war French camouflage schemes, they are partly the subject of interpretation from a black-and-white photograph - perhaps a couple of photographs if the model designers are lucky - and anything that isn't in the photograph is guessed at - of course there is no other way around it pending the invention of a working time machine.

I look forward to seeing more; you are really tempting me to get the Azur MS.406 out of my stash...

Cheers,

Stew

Go on Stew, you know you want to! Besides it releases storage space for another addition to the stash :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ooh that's looking nice Rob, looks like you got a better finish from your primer than I did with mine :blush: - what primer was it?

Cheers,

Stew

Cheers Stew, Thanks...I will be brush painting the camo...fingers crossed the finish is OK! I need to learn how to use an airbrush to be honest, the hairy stick is my best option for success at the moment! Slightly unsure how the tricolour camo is going to come out....

The primer I have used on the three builds is 'Modelmates light grey' purchased from my local model shop in Northampton...

http://www.modelmates.co.uk/product/light-grey-primer/

I have used Halfords plastic primer in the past, but I think that Modelmates primer produces a better silky smooth finish which does not appear to clog fine panel lines at all, I need to do a side by side comparison to be certain.

I am really enjoying all three builds in the French Fancy GB. After seeing your Dewoitine D.510 I have purchased a 2nd hand Pavla kit, so this may be making an appearance soon...I liked the 'grim reaper' one you have built here, and for a long time I have wanted to build the same or the version with the shark on. What with Enzo Martix'es shark schemed Nieuport-Delage (looks a nice kit too!) both of you have forced me to hunt one down :)

Cheers

Rob.

• Like 1

Thanks Rob, I had never heard of that brand; however I am too heavy-handed for aerosol primers, so will have to stick with what I've got :)

I brush-painted the camo on mine too; I was able to find a picture of the original aircraft which indicated a pretty tight border between the colours; it would have been extremely difficult to recreate this with an airbrush without overdoing it, so I decided to err on the side of caution.

The Pavla D.510 looks like one of their more viable kits, and it should look good with the shark transfers on :thumbsup2: - glad to be of temptation (fair exchange is no robbery) :lol:

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

HI All,

I am hoping to get this finished in time, work and holidays got in the way.....

19440282659_39bbb6e2d8_b.jpgMorane Saulnier painted_2 (1 of 1) by Bob, on Flickr

19438892570_8a7ffee217_b.jpgMorane Saulnier painted (1 of 1) by Bob, on Flickr

Painted with Humbrol numbers 65 (Aircraft Blue), 98 (chocolate), 144 (Intermediate Blue) and 159 (Khaki Drab).

Cheers,

Rob

• Like 1