Airfix UK Website- Any Trouble Accessing It?

tonyot

Thanks Ced,

I appreciate your help mate.

Just to try to clarify,......when I Google `Airfix' I then choose the main Airfix website but it re directs me to the US site. When I look for the an address for the UK site or follow a link for the UK site and try to access that, it then freezes me out and times out. Just tried again,,,......same problem so it has been well over a week now!

Try clearing your cache [press 'control' and F5 at the same time]. You may be just going back to the cached non-page.

Thanks for trying to help but I`ve even googled `cache' in a computer sense and what you`ve said still went well over my head!! When do I press these buttons, at any time or while trying to access the Airfix site? I don`t want to make things even worse!

Cheers everybody,

Tony

You're welcome!

I've sort of explained what I think they've done in this post (click to view).

A lot of 'sophisticated' websites cater for multiple languages / currencies and use your location settings to decide what to show you. The 'domain extension' (the .co.uk or .com) in the address doesn't matter. Some really clever ones also use your internet service providers (ISP) location to restrict access, for example to movies you can view (the BBC do this).

When you say 'US Site' what do you mean? Is it just the '.com' in the address or are you seeing prices in dollars? Here's a picture of the top of the Airfix home page when I use it...

Airfix%20site_zpsjrpo17ht.jpg

'airifx.com', highlighted in red, is fine, don't fret about it.

The union flag, highlighted in yellow, can be changed to set your region if it gets it wrong - what are you seeing?

The 'orders over £30' free postage, highlighted in green, shows you're in Sterling currency - what are you seeing? If you click the little 'down arrow' next to this I see a dialog window allowing me to change to $USD. Have you got this?

In case you've got a 'cached' version of the site in your Google Chrome browser you can clear this out - click here to see an article on how to do this.

HTH

I have been getting the same issue and message: Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /var/www/sites/hornby/public/app/code/core/Mage/Catalog/Model/Resource/Product/Collection.php on line 517

I have used chrome/firefox with no success, but IE11, *spit* works!!

I think it is DNS related not your own PC/settings.

Tony

I've had problems over here in Ireland too mind you I paid for club membership in January and am still awaiting delivery of my pack despite repeated attempts to contact them maybe it's not just the website could it be problems with the move affect web and club?

Eamonn

I have been getting the same issue and message: Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /var/www/sites/hornby/public/app/code/core/Mage/Catalog/Model/Resource/Product/Collection.php on line 517

I have used chrome/firefox with no success, but IE11, *spit* works!!

I think it is DNS related not your own PC/settings.

'php' makes me think it should be OK as I think it's 'open' code rather than Microsoft specific (like .asp), and the site's working fine on my Mac with Safari (and FireFox - just tried it).

I wonder if it's ISP related? I'm using BT for both Broadband and ISP.

I can get into both the US and UK Airfix sites with no problem. The currency and little flag icon change as appropriate. I am using Windows 8.1/Firefox 37.0.1 (Funnelcake). IE 11 works fine on both sites for me too.

I renewed my Club membership at the beginning of February and haven't received my packet yet. I also haven't seen a reply to my email asking why, but that was just a few days ago. Without the Club packet, I don't know my Membership Number, and can't link the Web Site to it - and that means I can't get into the "VIP" areas of the "Hornby Hobbies Club" (which is what I guess used to be called the Airfix Club). Basically I can't use my Club Membership until I get the packet...and my membership time is ticking away.

Cheers,

Bill

When I Google Airfix and click on the Airfix Homepage I get timed out or nothing happens at all,.........yet this used to be the way I always accessed the site.

If I click on the Shop Airfix site it directs me to the US site which has a star and bars button rather than a Union flag and the prices are in dollars!

My missus opened an account herself and tried to pre order some Beaufighter`s for me but she is unable to access her account to check as the site now won`t recognise her account or password.

Very strange!

Cheers

Tony

I have just rung them and got through immediately to a charming young lady. She informed me that they had printing problems with the Club Membership and renewals etc. and these will be sent out very soon.

As to the web site, I couldn't access it with Windows XP so went through via Google Chrome (Ugh !) with no problems

Hope this helps

Ken