1/72 Airfix Bristol Blenheim Mk.IV, 105 Sqn, Swanton Morley, July 1941

I finished this last night; the new-tool Airfix Blenheim IV representing V6028 GBoD which was the aircraft flown by Acting Wing Commander Hughie Idwal Edwards on 04 July 1941 in the low-level raid on Bremen for which he was awarded the Victoria Cross.

DSCN3035.jpg

DSCN3036.jpg

DSCN3039.jpg

DSCN3042.jpg

DSCN3045.jpg

DSCN3048.jpg

The kit is a nicely complex but pleasantly easy build so long as you go carefully and do plenty of test-fitting before you commit to glue. The join of the forward fuselage/cockpit to the rear fuselage and wings did not present any problems; I may just have been lucky but it worked first time and gave no hint that it could be troublesome - the bomb-bay interior however did not fit well at the rear join and would have needed work had I left the bomb-doors open. The kit includes both types of 'under-chin' turret for bomber variants as well as a full bomb-load as per the Mk.I kit, however it does not include the later modified bulged side windows for the pilot and navigator so you will need to consider your options if that is a major issue to you, or just do what I did and stick your fingers in your ears and loudly say "Lalalala I can't heeeaar you" if anyone mentions it. The kit was built OOB apart from the replacement of the exhausts, air intakes and fuel dump pipes with those from the Barracuda resin set (I really just wanted to see what they are like and for the record they are lovely) and the addition of an EZ-Line aerial wire.

Other points - I have painted the navigation lights red and green when in fact they were red and green bulbs with clear covers. I don't even care. I also accidentally gave this one aircraft the exhaust staining of a whole squadron, then compounded it by trying to cover it up. I care a bit more about that because it is just embarrassing, but short of not posting pictures of the underside (which is not a bad idea now I come to think of it) there is little point in my trying to hide it.

The paints used were Phoenix Precision Paints Interior Grey-Green, Dark Earth, Dark Green and Sky and various other bits and bobs for the detail painting. The decals were from the Airfix Victoria Cross Icons set and were fairly good though not quite up to the standard of the decals in the current boxing.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 34

Very nice Stew. That looks a really good model. Great camouflage. Joe

• Like 1

Thanks very much Duncan, Joe :D

Very nice Stew. How did you do the red patch for the machine gun port? I assume I'll need to do something similar for my Mk 1.

Simon, I just cut out a piece of the red from the kit decal's tail-stripes and stuck it on :)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

Well done, great looking Blenheim!

I must get one of these for myself.

I have wanted to build the same machine for a while; I got the MPM kit and then let it insulate the loft for years as only after the purchase did I realise it didn't have the undernose turret.

• Like 1

Like that Simon...

"You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day" - how many are you allowed? Can't find it anywhere in the help. Must be less generous with my likes.

• Like 2

Well done, great looking Blenheim!

I must get one of these for myself.

I have wanted to build the same machine for a while; I got the MPM kit and then let it insulate the loft for years as only after the purchase did I realise it didn't have the undernose turret.

Thanks very much James, perhaps the MPM blistered windows will fit on the Airfix kit, then you can have all the features :)

Really like that :) Good build, looks like a great model. Nice work!

Thanks very much Al :)

Very nice, I do like that.

Thanks very much Leon :)

Smashing! Based just down the road from where I grew up. Lovely build.

Cheers Mitch, I didn't know you were a native of Norfolk? :)

Painting of the raid on Bremen Harbour, in the collection of the Australian War Memorial.

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/ART28455/

There is a statue of Wing Commander Edwards in Kings Square, Fremantle just down the road from me.

Hmm, blistered windows and straight camouflage demarcation in that picture... :weep:

Cheers gents :D

Stew

Best MkIV built of the new tool I have seen, mine will have to wait it's turn.

Thanks very much BB, I think you will enjoy it when you get round to yours :)

D'oh! Oh well, it's not the worst thing wrong with mine...

Seems a great little kit and you've done a cracking job.

Exhaust stains, wavy demarcations, tasty looking canopies....spot on

Cheers

Thanks very much Bruce :D

Stew, you keep one upping yourself. I especially love the results of your canopy masking, so clean and crisp.

Thanks very much Cookie - funnily enough I noticed when I was applying the Peewit masks how well they fitted, I think it is their most impressive set so far :)

Another brilliant job stew. Love it

Rob

Aw thanks Rob :D

Very nice build, congratulations :)

Cheers

J-W

Thank you very much Jerzy-Wojtek :D

Beautiful Blenheim Stew. Great build and finish from a thoroughly enjoyable WIP thread. Well done Stew!

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks very much Stix, I had a lot of fun making it and doing the WiP thread too, I think when you are enjoying yourself it somehow makes a more enjoyable read :D

Thanks to you all for your attention gents :)

Cheers,

Stew

Cheers Mitch, I didn't know you were a native of Norfolk? :)

Born and grew up there - wouldn't call myself a native, though: I don't have twenty generations buried there!

• Like 1