D-Day P-38J (was Pacific, but...)

Hello folks.

My car building for the French Fancy GB is going terribly, and an Airfix Lightning F.6 wasn't getting the enthusiasm going. Then I remembered I had this in the loft:

16884517087_da41008273_c.jpgP-38 Lightning by jongwinnett, on Flickr

I don't know much about P-38s, but the Academy kit looks half decent and I'm hoping a quick, OOB build will get me back on track.

I've made a start (with the cockpit interior, natch) but first the obligatory bits shot:

• Like 3

17090408672_cb924becac_c.jpgP-38 Lightning by jongwinnett, on Flickr

I started out painting the interior green then had a sudden change of tack and decided to give the interior bits an undercoat of Revell Anthracite. I then washed on a green (much too bright I supect, but some weathering and who will know) in the hope this would flow round the detail. It's quite promising and some more coats should give it depth (it was still very damp when the pictures were taken).

16471764593_32554c955c_c.jpgP-38 Lightning by jongwinnett, on Flickr

16469468064_5d0c50a220_c.jpgP-38 Lightning by jongwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 2

welcome aboard Jon, that's a nice looking model you chose as well.

Looks like you are off to a flying start already.

Good luck with the build, hope you get your modelling mojo back, but most of all enjoy the build.

I had planned to build these OOB, but the kit decals, particularly the nose art, are pretty rubbish. I ordered some D-Day decals from Hannants for my stash of P-51s and Airfix C-47 and then promptly forgot I had done so.

When Rob made his kind offer of the Marge decals I jumped, and snuck in ahead of Phillip, then my Hannants package arrived, I suddenly realised there were two P-38J15s on the sheet, and I thought, I'll do these instead.

Hence the thread name change, and Rob's spare decals are now winging their way to the US not the UK.

Apologies to Rob and Phil for mucking them about, and I hope the rest of you don't mind the change of direction.

Oh, and I've made a little progress, sort of, in that I decided the interior green was too bright, and have over painted it, although I think my new choice is too dark instead!

The options on the D-Day sheet are Lucky Lady of the 434th at Wattisham in NMF, or an unnamed OD over neutral grey bird from the 402nd, who were based at Andover, just a few miles from where I was born and brought up. I can see me getting another kit so I can do both!

• Like 1

Only a tiny bit of progress today as we had to go to IKEA. But it was worth it, my lovely Mrs 06/24 is wanting various rooms done up and as part of that, bought me a new storage/display cabinet - for the first time ever I will have somewhere to put my finished builds, rather than stashing them in a box in the loft! It has absolutely been worth the hours of flatpack assembly etc!

• Like 1

I know, I know!

I was full of good intentions yesterday and was all ready to sit down at the bench when Dad duties got in the way. And today is Perth show so any modelling time will be limited (unless I get up now, actually not a bad idea!)

The booms are only dry fitted in the pictures so please ignore the steps on top of the engine nacelles. The nose and the front of the booms (ahead of the undercarriage legs) are packed with lead. Frankly I think I've probably added too much, and might reduce the load a little as I'm nervous of the strength of the plastic undercarriage legs. Opening the slots for the boarding steps was annoying, as they were just too small to fit my finest file in to clean up and square off.

Also, although the instructions have you drill out the holes for the drop tanks, pitot etc, they don't tell you what size drill to use. Not a problem for the small holes, but annoying as you have to drill out for the underwing light cover, which needs in excess of a 2mm drill. In the end I used a broach to open the hole, and then a square needle file twisted as a crude broach to enlarge it.

arrr some progress finally!!! :P

I'm pretty much to the same stage you're at. Looks like you progressed without too many issue. Your cockpit looks like it fitted in quite nicely, I'm using a resin one and it's taking a bit of work to get it to fit!

Thanks for the hit about the weight, I've actually put a pin through my main gear, a; because I am using PE side walls so have nothing to glue on as such, b: I wanted the extra strength because of the weight needed. Just a 1mm hole through sidewalls and main gear and a plastic (could use metal) and it's done, nice and strong.

Well you're nearly at the halfway stage then it's a downhill run from there, you've done nice work so far, keep it up.

• Like 1