EE Lightning 1/48 scale decals - advice needed

doozer1974

Hello all

My father in law worked on Lightnings with 5 Squadron at RAF Binbrook in the early 70s, and I'm hoping to make him a replica of a machine he may have worked on from that era as a surprise and a reminder of his time there. I've got the Airfix kit, but am struggling to find appropriate decals.

I saw CT Modeller's build in 1/72 of a Lightning in the scheme I'm looking to do (http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234958536-5-squadron-lightning-f6/) but the research I've done so far into decal options at 1/48 doesn't provide any options for a 5 Squadron lightning from that era, like this one below.

XR7263_zpskyexo13p.jpg

Does anyone know of any decals that might be available for such a scheme? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks very much

Adam

I did a few 5 Sqn Lightnings from the 1980s but I had the same problem, so I simply masked and sprayed the red roundal bars and they looked pretty good - the 5 sqn decal sheets is available on one of Model Alliance decals sheets 72170 http://modelingmadness.com/scott/decals/ma/ma72170.htm

EDIT: that decal sheets is available in 1/48 as well

Edited by Gary West
  • Like 1

5 Sqns large red "5" and maple leaf emblem did appear on the decal sheet in Aeroclub's F6 multi-media kit. I have that sheet somewhere, but will use it - one day. I can't recall seeing it elsewhere in 1/48th scale. Ironically it steadily available in 1/72nd and 1/32nd scale!

Edit: just seen Gary's edit......d'oh!!!

Edited by Bill Clark
  • Like 1