Dragon Sd.Kfz.234/4 Panzerspahwagen 1/35

Hello all

My latest build - Dragon's Sd.Kfz. 234 Panzerspahwagen in 1/35 scale. From start to finish this kit was a joy to build, despite the large number of sub-assemblies and a fairly cramped interior, the kit was so well engineered that everything fitted together brilliantly.

I built it straight out of the box (not using any of the photo etch provided - too tiny for my ham fisted techniques). This was my first attempt at a three colour camo scheme, done by cutting my own masks out of 40mm Tamiya tape. With hindsight, some of the masks were shaped better than others, but overall I was happy with the paint job, which was done with Tamiya acrylics.

Weathering was done with a mix of a diluted acrylic brown to fade the colours, oils, drybrushing, Tamiya weathering sticks and pigments (went for a dusty rather than a muddy effect around the wheels and lower hull).

Thanks for looking

Adam

DSCF0015_zpsqx5y867v.jpg

DSCF0017_zpsgho30kft.jpg

DSCF0022_zpswoz2d47d.jpg

DSCF0020_zps6fdiekw4.jpg

DSCF0023_zpssfg1qi0e.jpg

DSCF0021_zpspcm0nq4i.jpg

DSCF0027_zpsprapqo1k.jpg

DSCF0018_zpsj4ljgxh7.jpg

Edited by doozer1974
  • Like 13

Nicely done Adam, very good weathering and I like the three colour cam, I know what you mean about the photo etch pieces, I'm the same, as soon as I touch them they seem to fall apart in my fingers also. Really good job Adam.

• Like 1

Very Nice.

I am more of a diorama man so please don't take this as criticism but I think for a vehicle in service (depending on the arena of course) would have more mud and rust. But that is not my call. Very well built and a lovely model.

J

• Like 1

I love the 3 tone finish the Germans used, that looks a first class masking job, it must have taken some time to plan all of that out? Did you mask and apply the camouflage before fixing the tools etc, if not how did you go about masking over the tools? I like the faded look that you have achieved as well.

Sorry for the probably dumb question, but I'm more used to building aircraft, but working my way up to building something like this so need all the help/tips I can get.

Thanks,

Tim.

• Like 1

most if not all German armour had the disruptive patterns painted in the field with the vehicle being supplied in the dark yellow base....the designs are as varied as the the individual vehicles including the accurate shades as the paint was often mixed by the crews( often as a paste ) and thinned with whaterever could be used always best to get photos if possible of the subject but in reality a good deal of artistic licence is called for......love the finnish by the way. :)

• Like 1

I love the 3 tone finish the Germans used, that looks a first class masking job, it must have taken some time to plan all of that out? Did you mask and apply the camouflage before fixing the tools etc, if not how did you go about masking over the tools? I like the faded look that you have achieved as well.

Sorry for the probably dumb question, but I'm more used to building aircraft, but working my way up to building something like this so need all the help/tips I can get.

Thanks,

Tim.

Hi Tim and drookit

Thanks for yourcomments, they're all appreciated. The tools went on afterwards - luckily the kit had them all moulded separately. The masking took a while, but I just went a bit freestyle with the shapes rather than carefully planning it out. I started by airbrushing the whole thing in dark yellow, then masked off about a third of the outside surface area, sprayed the olive green, masked off roughly another third and finished it off with the reddish brown. Was never sure quite how it would turn out until the masking tape came off!

Cheers

Adam

• Like 1

Hi Tim and drookit

Thanks for yourcomments, they're all appreciated. The tools went on afterwards - luckily the kit had them all moulded separately. The masking took a while, but I just went a bit freestyle with the shapes rather than carefully planning it out. I started by airbrushing the whole thing in dark yellow, then masked off about a third of the outside surface area, sprayed the olive green, masked off roughly another third and finished it off with the reddish brown. Was never sure quite how it would turn out until the masking tape came off!

Cheers

Adam

No problem Adam, and thanks for answering my questions.

Tim.

Capital job, and I actually thought those tyres were rubber.

Thanks Darby - I can highly recommend Tamiya's XF85 Rubber Black - gives a really nice look to tyres I think.

most if not all German armour had the disruptive patterns painted in the field with the vehicle being supplied in the dark yellow base....the designs are as varied as the the individual vehicles including the accurate shades as the paint was often mixed by the crews( often as a paste ) and thinned with whaterever could be used always best to get photos if possible of the subject but in reality a good deal of artistic licence is called for......love the finnish by the way. :)

Not these. They were factory painted. As were most German AFVs from autumn 1944 on.

Superb model.

• Like 1