Tamiya mid production Tiger

Tin_Bitz

Hi all

I am going to be building Tamiya's 1/35 mid production Tiger. I have built a handful of tanks but none with individual track links. I also have the photo etch kit from Eduard for it so will be replacing the angled side skirt with a brass one.

I have no idea on How best to go about doing the tracks and road wheels etc... Has anyone built this kit or anything similar? Do people paint the individual links then glue them together ?

The way I do individual track links is by putting the sticky side of tape upper wards, the tape helps keep the tracks together. Then start, link glue, link glue. I find this the most productive way, once you have stuck a number together then you can transfere to the road wheels, then glue all sections together and there you have it, track bashing complete.

Ozzy

I was thinking of glueing it all together and priming it all. Then painting, it's iust going to be quite tough painting the tracks under the skirts and the rubber on the wheels.

My method for this is:

- first remove all wheels from the sprue, clean them up, paint and weather them and remember which type is going on what axle and where.

- Glue all wheels to the already painted hull (base color only, no skirts or fenders yet attached). Let dry thorouly when using plastic cement.

-Paint the individual track links on the sprue in black, dark brown, gun metal - what you prefer.

-When dry, remove them all from sprue

-Glue together (plastic cement) a section of single track links, let dry for a while until the stick together but can still be bended and then attach them to the wheels, starting from the drive sprocket to the rear (on top of wheels). Plastic cement again.

-I do this in sections of 4 or 5 per side until the tracks meet again at the drive sprocket.

If you work swift and steady the sections can still be adjusted a little bit if they do not meet perfectly.

Doing it this way you do not have to paint the tracks when already attached to the model, only minor touch up painting where they were cut from the sprue.

Track weathering can be started on the sprue as well but I always leave that to when they are completely attached to the tank.

That done, I start attaching side skirts and fenders and the next step is the camouflage pattern. Tracks and wheels can be masked easily with paper or the like for this.

I find it much easier to paint wheels not yet attached to the model, especially those with rubber tires. A final clear flat coat will hide the glue that might still be seen between the track links - in case there's no thick mud on the tracks.

Ingo