Another 1/35 Tamiya Panzer Kampfwagen II Ausf. F/G - update 02/06/15 - now with a base and troops

Right - I do know I'm getting far too carried away with this tank model building lark, but, in my defence, I do get some time each week day, when I'm not at home, when I can make kits. There's no point in me trying to make anything big or delicate, like an aircraft, because I wouldn't be able to carry it home safely enough on public transport! Tanks fit the bill perfectly. As you may have noticed I rather like German AFVs, although I have made a 1/76 Airfix Cromwell and I'm currently making Hobby Boss's 1/48 US M4A3 (76)W Tank.
Well, having followed AndyC's excellent build of Tamiya's 1/35 Panzer Kampfwagen II Ausf. F/G, I recently saw the same kit on sale quite cheap in a LMS. After a quick look in the small, packed box at the rather nicely detailed kit (for quite an old one) and I knew I wanted to make one. Apart from anything else I have never made a 1/35 kit and I reckon it will be good practice for a couple I have in mind to make in future.
So, if the GB hosts and AndyC don't mind I'd like to have a go at this one as well as my others. I'm not going to do anything special other than make it OOB - if you check out AndyC's build he used some rather nice PE to enhance the basic kit.
The box:
16870933447_4a95a52e5e_c.jpg

I'll post some photos of the sprues and other bits later plus some of the work I have done already.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 3

Hi Steve. I'm really looking forward to it although all the detail, even on this small kit, seems so much bigger. Should be an interesting experience! At some point, not for this GB though, I'm hoping to make a couple of 1/35 kits - I've got one already for the Vietnam GB and I know of another Tiger 1 I fancy having a go at.

As mentioned in my first post above: some box, sprue and instruction photos-

Quite a small box with a lot of plastic inside
16892111689_52c3dcc3e6_c.jpg

And out of the box:
16458172503_7133630a4e_c.jpg

Upper and lower hull parts:
17076842062_344a73ee41_c.jpg

Nicely detailed for the age and price:
16455886924_b760e124ee_c.jpg

16890552488_9225c99e79_c.jpg

And it even comes with quite nicely detailed figures:
17078337415_cb84995c52_c.jpg

Tamiya provide a bit of background reading as well as the paint scheme info:
16892109799_f48114a939_c.jpg

The instructions seem fairly straightforward:
16870930477_7a3e127ea9_c.jpg

Finally the decals:
16890550328_e5596cb589_c.jpg

In terms of progress I attached some of the parts at the front and real of the lower hull and then I followed AndyC's example and used some scrap plastic to cover over the insides of the holes in the base of the hull:
17077689042_6bc7bf5154_c.jpg

I then filled the holes from the outside:
16891396088_01d681cc46_c.jpg

I also painted the wheels on the sprues - but the colour is so similar to Tamiya's plastic colour that it didn't make it worth taking a photo.

More tomorrow I hope - comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 2

Hi Noah. Good to know you enjoyed building it. Are there any photos of your's? - it's always good to see other versions.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix

Hi Andy. That's great - thank you.

Today I got several coats of thinned Humbrol Desert Yellow applied to the lower hull by hairy stick:

16903057959_0029ee3e77_c.jpg

.........it's probably difficult to tell though!

And on the wheels I gave them an overall wash of Revell's Gunship Grey, followed by some targeted washes of Revell's Anthracite and finally a dry-brushing with a lightened version of Desert Yellow:

16881874817_2f8a27afac_c.jpg

More next week.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 4

Looking good, mate. I have my PZ II waiting, so I am taking place in front row. Wash looks good and great idea about drybrushing with a lighter version of base colour. That should look good on details.

• Like 1

Hi Noah. Good to know you enjoyed building it. Are there any photos of your's? - it's always good to see other versions.

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix real sorry my tank was sadly the victim of a 5 yr old ;( before I could get any photos...but it was a great build, but if I was to build another one I would drill out the cannon... BTW your looks better anyway.

• Like 1

Looking good, mate. I have my PZ II waiting, so I am taking place in front row. Wash looks good and great idea about drybrushing with a lighter version of base colour. That should look good on details.

Thank you dawkuk. I look forward to seeing your build of this kit - hopefully you are planning to do a WIP? The details on this kit, for it's age, seem really good and sharp - washes and dry-brushing do see to highlight them well so far.

Hi Stix real sorry my tank was sadly the victim of a 5 yr old ;( before I could get any photos...but it was a great build, but if I was to build another one I would drill out the cannon... BTW your looks better anyway.

Hi Noah. Sorry to hear about the fate of yours!! ...........but I'm glad it was a great build. Thank you for the tip about the cannon :thumbsup: - I will definitely do that.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

Thank you dawkuk. I look forward to seeing your build of this kit - hopefully you are planning to do a WIP? The details on this kit, for it's age, seem really good and sharp - washes and dry-brushing do see to highlight them well so far.

Yes, it will be on WIP :) - i also bot an Eduard PE set. We'll se how it'll wokr out.

Dawid

• Like 1

Yes, it will be on WIP :) - i also bot an Eduard PE set. We'll se how it'll wokr out.

Dawid

Hi David that's great!! I look forward to following your build.

Wow so cool! I was thinking to buy this kit some time ago.

Have fun :)

Hi Pawel. It does seem like a nice kit, especially for how cheaply it can be obtained. And I'm definitely having fun with this, my first 1/35 build!

Not a very interesting update I'm afraid but I've managed to get all the tires painted:

16929654207_e32ce045bf_c.jpg

.....and got a mucky grey wash onto the lower hull.

16949284398_f1f74dbf26_c.jpg

17137048975_6204579d91_c.jpg

The lower hull still needs to have some areas washed with Revell's Anthracite to pick out the detail before I do some dry-brushing.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 4

Hi Stix, looking nice so far. I have one of these in my watch list on the Bay, ( for 9.50), seriously thinking of getting it.

Helluva jump of scale though!,

Sean

Hi Stix, looking nice so far. I have one of these in my watch list on the Bay, ( for 9.50), seriously thinking of getting it.

Helluva jump of scale though!,

Sean

Hi Sean. Thank you. I'd say, even though I've only got so far in, it does seem like a fun build and, for the price, it is quite a nice kit with some lovely detail. If you fancy you could also do like AndyC did with his and get some PE to go with it. I know what you mean about the size though - sometimes the parts seem huge compared to 1/76 pieces - easier to see but longer to clean up and paint!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

I've done a bit more today but didn't manage to take any photos. I have dry-brushed the tracks with Humbrol's Gunmetal and the raised detail on the sides of the lower hull with a lightened version of Humbrol's Desert Yellow.

I'm hoping I might be able to start assembling the wheels tomorrow and I'll try and take some photograpghs.

Kind regards,

Stix

nice work so far - this was my first AFV when I moved form wingy-things to targets... really fun build (have a soft spot for Tamiya kits form my childhood)....

• Like 1

Thanks Rob - glad to know you enjoyed building it.

Well it's taken a bit longer than I thought it would - probably because it's 1/35 rather than a scale I'm used to - but I've got the basic painting/basic weathering done on the running gear and all these parts attached to the lower hull sides:

16980159748_5a50d1378d_c.jpg

16981756239_b4da7652ee_c.jpg

I've also got the first wash onto the tracks but not taken a photo of these.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1

Looks nice (will you have a crack at the figures?)

Hi Noah. Thank you. Yes I'm intending to make and paint the figures - I'm thinking of doing a small display base too - it might not all be done before the end of the GB - but hopefully the actual vehicle will be.

Kind regards,

Stix

Today I got to a point where I decided I needed to know if the tracks would go on. They've had their basic washes applied and, once dry, I did a test fitting ..............and they were a bit short - by about a centimetre. So I patiently spent some time gently stretching a small section at a time until they just fitted. I decided I wasn't going to use the shown Tamiya method of melting them together but rather rely on CA glue. I glued the area of the end of the tracks (with the pins on) to one of the wheels. I then fed the tracks along their route around the wheels and then fitted the other end with the holes over the pins. Once I'd pushed them far enough on I put some thin CA glue over the pins and waited while capillary action took the glue into the join. After a couple of minutes they seemed set to a reasonable level so I trimmed off the parts of the pins that were left sticking out. I then re-washed the area around the joints where the original washes has been rubbed off. And this is the result:

16971180157_9475e302a5_c.jpg

17176930372_1fc5591266_c.jpg

16990823728_ce91af1fcd_c.jpg

17177984701_54d82b0dbb_c.jpg

16971188597_3aeddec328_c.jpg

17176939182_f3c72ba48b_c.jpg

17177990811_5c9deb5415_c.jpg

The top of the hull is just placed in place and hasn't been painted yet.

More next week.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 3

Thats a great start into the 1/35 scale, Stix. Its a lovely kit, after all the years on the market. Tamiyas tanks are a joy to build and your result will be pleasing, without doubt !

• Like 1