Airfix Spitfire Mk IIa, 1/72 - finally back at the bench

Hello BM'ers...

Despite my efforts to lurk around here and say nice things about the works of plastic engineering joy you so often produce, it's been a good 7 months since I've had any chance to do any modelling myself. Life has a habit of getting in the way, and boy did it ever...

Anyway, I finally got the chance to stick some things together and slap some paint on, and as it looks like I might (!) have a bit more spare time to improve my rather lacklustre skills, I thought I'd have a run-up 'quick-build' before tackling an Eduard 1/48 Spitfire IX. As such, I dragged an obvious choice out of the stash and had a bash at this lovely little kit.

The build itself was very enjoyable, presenting few problems other than those of my own devising. Everything snaps together very easily, and the outline of the kit looks somehow 'right'. This was, as I say, a run-up build, so I didn't modify anything and didn't exactly hang around (3 days from box to shelf, plus a couple of days curing time) - so wail at the lack of drooping elevators, gnash teeth at the black panel wash and guffaw at the overall 'over-done-ness' of it all.

Painted with Mr Colour, weathered with gusto (and oils). Lack of pitot tube thanks to cack-handedness and gaps in the floorboards!

Thing is, I had a terrific amount of fun building this, and in honesty I'm pretty happy with how it's turned out...

Anyway, go easy on me as I'm but a novice at this kind of thing! On with the pics:

16881949230_3bdfeb2330_c.jpg
1/72 Airfix Spitfire by als_models, on Flickr

17069489085_2e4c583c34_c.jpg

16881948390_6e996c6828_c.jpg

17043521276_ce664caf2e_c.jpg

17069489495_6a88024f9e_c.jpg

16881947530_15086340df_c.jpg

Thanks for looking!

• Like 23

Nice job - the underside weathering in particular looks great.

The panel lines look really deep on this kit, which the black wash only exacerbates, and breaks up the camo pattern too much for me. For me, I've found that Flory Models' dark dirt wash gives a less stark definition to panel lines while still achieving the desired effect.

• Like 2

I think you are being way to hard on your own skills - your skills are certainly not lackluster!!! That looks fantastic! Although I do agree with what the others have said about the panel lines being a bit too dark - it's your model and I think you should be very proud of it! Enjoy the MkIX when you get around to make it - I thoroughly enjoyed making mine a while back!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Beautiful Spitfire, I look forward to seeing more from your desk,

Sean

(Oh.. my teeth are gnashing, but it's your enjoyment that counts, so don't listen to us!!)

• Like 1

Big thanks to you all for the lovely feedback :)

I'm inclined to agree that the panel wash was is just too much and emphasises the depth of the gaps too much, but it's all a learning process isn't it? I'll give Flory Dark Dart wash a bash - thanks @Doozer1974

Quick question for anyone who has the time - have you experienced Alclad Klear Kote Gloss not seemingly drying properly? I left it sitting in a warm-ish environment for a solid 48 hours, and despite this, with even a little handling it was becoming very tacky... Wondering if it's something I did (misted on 3 coats around an hour apart at 18PSI), or if it's something up with the product...given how good their lacquers & primer are, I'm left a little puzzled.

Have a great weekend all...

Umm...you realise this is a modelling forum...right ?

That looks like an artists painting.

You may have fooled the others, but not me.

Seriously splendidly realistic surrealism !

I agree with others about the trenches holding a lot of darkness, but the effect (and lovely bright pics), combined with wonderful painting, makes for an amazing finish.

Beauty !!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...