Quick Canopy Question

Lightningboy2000

Just a quick question!

I'm building a Mk.IIa out of the new Airfix 1/48 Spitfire.

Which of the sliding section canopy parts would I use for this?

Spitfire_IIA_P7666.jpg

Did this have the bulged sides or flat sides to the canopy? Can't really tell from the photo.

Thanks

Martin

The bulged sides were later, I believe.

That's what I thought, but all the information tells me that all late Mk.1's onwards had bulged canopies, but this photo gives me the impression that there's a reflection in the canopy or is that light on the sill for the starboard side?

If the canopy has the push out panel, would that mean it's flat sided then? Was the push out panel in the (blown) bulged canopy?

The new Airfix 1/48 Mk.1 has all the parts for a Mk.II so I guess a Mk.II will be on the way at a later date.

Cheers

Martin

If you're referring to the line that runs aft behind the bottom edge of the push-out panel, I think it's the starboard sill of the cockpit.

My understanding is that if the canopy had the push-out panel it was flat sided. I'm sure that if I'm wrong Edgar will be along shortly to correct me.

Maybe the instructions are referring to the bulge at the top of the canopy?

Earlier canopy was flat above the pilot's head, which was a bit of a problem for the taller folks.

regards,

Jack

As far as I know, the breakout panel needed the bulged-top, flat-sided canopy, and could not be fitted to the blown type. It was November 1941 before it was deleted, and the first mention of a blown canopy comes in 1942. Vickers' ledger talks of fitting the "Spitfire III type windscreen and hood to Spitfires I & II" in April 1941, but the only photo I have, of the Mk.III, shows it with a flat-sided canopy + internally-armoured screen, so the difference might only have been dimensional.

As far as I know, the breakout panel needed the bulged-top, flat-sided canopy, and could not be fitted to the blown type. It was November 1941 before it was deleted, and the first mention of a blown canopy comes in 1942. Vickers' ledger talks of fitting the "Spitfire III type windscreen and hood to Spitfires I & II" in April 1941, but the only photo I have, of the Mk.III, shows it with a flat-sided canopy + internally-armoured screen, so the difference might only have been dimensional.

Thanks Edgar, that is a lot of help thanks. I think I will be going with the flat sided canopy then. Now I have to think about how to apply that breakout panel. Would be good if I have a decal somewhere to represent it.

Cheers and thanks for all the help everyone!

Martin

Thanks Edgar, that is a lot of help thanks. I think I will be going with the flat sided canopy then. Now I have to think about how to apply that breakout panel. Would be good if I have a decal somewhere to represent it.

Cheers and thanks for all the help everyone!

Martin

There's a decal in the AZ Spitfire MKV boxings.

(Edited to remove unnecessary apostrophe.)

Edited by Beard