1/72 Kosciuszko Spitfire IIB

Here is my attempt at an AZ 1/72 Spitfire IIB. It is the first short run kit I've started, but the fourth I've finished (managed a few short run P-40's first for the Group Build). It represents the 303 Sqn aircraft of FO Miroslaw Feric (P8385, RF-A) in the summer of 1941, although four different pilots, including Feric, made claims while flying it according to Wojtek Matusiak's 303 Squadron history.

The prop and spinner come from the Airfix Mk I/IIA kit, and the rear view mirror and antenna mast were scratched from plasticard. The build thread is here.

My cheap camera and lack of photography experience led me to try a hodgepodge of backgrounds, so please bear with me.

IMG_1618_zps6ei6idus.jpg

The reference photos showed a plane that looked like it had been across the Channel a few times, and I tried to capture that weathered look.

IMG_1612_zpsxuxlq5k1.jpg

IMG_1596_zps7mgijwjj.jpg

Here it is next to a 303 Sqn Mk IIA from the Airfix kit. I can say that I've started a Kosciuszko 'collection' now that there are two of them.

IMG_1621_zpsqmgxs8td.jpg

Thank for looking, any and all Spitfire advice is welcome.

• Like 19

Nice to hear that people are remember pilots from Polish Squadron 303 :)

Greetings from Poland

Jerzy-Wojtek

Edited by JWM
  • Like 2

Cheap camera and photography experience - I'll give you a run for your money in that department.

The Spitfire looks great - and yup, sure looks like it crossed the channel a few times. Nicely done.

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 1

Top stuff and looks great.

I like the weathering.

Start of a bigger collection????

For interest...Mt Kosciusko is the highest mountain in Australia.

Not big by European standards but clearly there's a link in the names that's worth a google!

Cheers

Bruce

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Jerzy-Wojtek - I've enjoyed seeing your collection in RFI recently - some fantastic builds for sure.

Mike - Your super-clean airliner build look great no matter the camera (or operator).

Simon, MG, and Rob - Thanks for following along, and thanks for the kind words.

Stix - I'm always amazed whenever you follow along with my little builds. Your builds are always so epic.

Bruce - Thanks for that - I had no idea about Mt Kosciuszko. It seems that many remember him, but I think he should be even more renowned.

Hopefully, this is the beginning of a larger collection. There are two Hurricanes (one metal wing and one fabric wing) in the stash ready to be made into 303 Sqn fighters in the BoB GB. And there are still Spitfire V's and a IX to do, along with a Mustang IV. That doesn't include Kosciuszko squadron builds outside 303: P.11, Spad, Albatros and MiG-29! I think it will be one of those lifetime projects.

Hey Stew! (You posted just as I was writing this).

For interest...Mt Kosciusko is the highest mountain in Australia.

Not big by European standards but clearly there's a link in the names that's worth a google!

It seems that many remember him, but I think he should be even more renowned.

If somone did not looked to google yet - the name "Kosciuszko" (both- the squadron and the monutain) is for Polish national hero, general, commander of an uprising in end of XVIII Century, he took also part in US war for independent - here is more about him:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tadeusz_Ko%C5%9Bciuszko

Greetings from Krakow - were his body is burried (as one can noticed from the Wiki article he has at least three graves...).

Jerzy-Wojtek

Edited by JWM
  • Like 2

For those historically inclined the polish explorer Strzelecki was the amazing dude who made lots of stuff happen in Australia.

There's a track in Australia named after him (because he went places no one would even think of trying) and he named Australia's highest peak (after climbing it) after his hero "Kosciuszko"

Great stuff......sadly lots of people in Australia don't even know his name but hopefully we can change that!

• Like 3

The book A Question of Honor is what started my interest in Kosciuszko and the squadron named for him.

I know and have this book. There is also a classic book on Squadron 303 - by Polish globetrotter and writer - Arkady Fiedler. Title is just "Squadron 303". This was my favourite when I was teenager. He wrote it in 1940, just as a reportage immediately after end of BOB - and this is about this squadron during BOB. The first issue was in London in 1942. I have checked - it is available on well know Internet shop A....n. - in English. If you do not know it yet - I strongly reccommend. But I think - you know it already ...:)

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...