Bristol Beaufort Mk I, Malta 1942, Frog/Novo (reshaped) 1/72

Hi,

I made this model many years ago - there was no other Beaufort in 1/72 than Frog/Novo. The kit has lot of flaws. I was comparing shapes with plans (thanks KRK4m for supporting me here with good literature and help in research in Cracow's Museum of Aviation). Many details were reshaped - I remember first of all: enlarged cowlings, other engines, propellers, enlarged horizontal tails, new main canopy, changes in turret, new (scratch) undercarridge and larger tyres and many other small improvments...

Markings are presenting machine L9965/T of 217 Squadron RAF during its serving in Malta, Luqa airfield I think, in summer 1942, when she was painting in dark and light Meditteranean Blue camo - as some experts belive (agin thank KRK4m for suggesting me this paiting scheme). I have to add - I am still like it, after 20 years from making. I hope you find it interesting as well :)

Comments and criticism welcome

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

beaufort DSC03919beaufort DSC03916beaufort DSC03918beaufort DSC03917beaufort DSC03915

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 31

That is nice! Anything around the Malta campaign is of interest to me, and this is right up my street. A Beaufort is on my list (somewhere quite a long way down!) so this is a nice example/reminder.

• Like 2

That is a really good effort and the best Frog Beaufort that I`ve ever seen, you really have done lots of work to improve the shape haven`t you!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Thank you Mitch for your comments. I hope one day I will find your post on Beaufort from Malta - I wish this to both of us :)

Thank you Tony for your comment - I appreciete it very much :)

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

Thank you Modelglue - I like this pattern also :)

Cheers

J-W

Hiya J-W,

It is by no means brilliant, but if you are interested I built a 1/48th scale Malta Beaufort some time ago,....here is the link;

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/38662-148th-scale-bristol-beaufort-mki/?hl=beaufort

I`d love a new 1/48th scale Beaufort and I have 3 x 1/72nd scale models stalled at the painting stages as I research the colour schemes!!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Thank you Gentelmen for comments. It is very nice to me to hear your response - I am very glad that you like the work on improving this kit...Maybe one day I will do another Beaufort - the most temptatating for me is Australian DAP "Beaufrighter" - with rised rear part of fuselage. However, certainly I will try to avoid converting again Novo/Frog kit...

This Mediterranean scheme is very rare, thare are no "hard" proves that L9965/T was indeed painted like that - this is only interpretation of a BW photo - as far as I know this. Perhaps some of Readers knows it better then me. If someone knows it - please tell me/us about it.

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek

Edited by JWM

Jerzy

The scheme is not unique in that a Mediterranean based Blenheim is known to have flown in a two-tone blue scheme as well. Unfortunately I can't find details at the moment.

Trevor

• Like 1

Jerzy

The scheme is not unique in that a Mediterranean based Blenheim is known to have flown in a two-tone blue scheme as well. Unfortunately I can't find details at the moment.

Trevor

Do you mean this one?

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll106/Dirkpitt289/ColorProfile55SqnEgypt.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you Mike (KRK4m) and Trevor for additional data on Mediterranean two-blue camouflages.

Also thank you Ed for support :) (including PM).

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 1

:cheers: Thank you Darby - yes, I am rather sure that the basic kit was actually Novo, in terrible dirty pink colour of plastic!....

That is a great job. I've just finished a book called Fortress Malta about the siege and there is no doubt that all the aircraft on Malta were heavily weathered. They maintained them but not much more.

• Like 1

Thank you Stosh65 for comment. Malta defenders beeing under so huge stress surely did not care about weathering of camo... And the dusty, dry, salty and sunny environment did not help either for sure :). BTW - It is really incredible, that they managed to protect this small island surrounded for long by nazi territories....

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

Hi Jerzy!!!!

I have missed this one when you published but as you have seen, just found her!!!

Without a doubt, I have enjoyed all the thread about this masterpiece; for sure this one is a gem of work and all the comments by all the people that have participated is like a nice list to take in account if anyone decides to attack this old but nice girl with a knife, files and the wonderful desire to make a nicely done model doing justice as yours really is!!!

Every detail as I have seen and also the colour scheme you have chosen really makes this one if it would be possible, in the Top Ten of the nice works i have seen here, and to support my judgement, are the wonderful interventions of this wonderful people who with a nice knowledge of the situation have given their opinions here.

i have had a desire to buy this one scarce and difficult to find kit, but have been happy just to watch the item from time to time in a friend of mine who have had all the Frog items in his build/stach combination around 1981/1983 until he have to part with all his models as he had to go to USA to live forever.

I don't knew what have happened with this wonderful out from the box built model but have had always the idea who have bought her. Anyway, I have some seven years ago the chance to buy the ENCORE rendition of this mytical plane in a plastic coloured between aqua and very light blue, and with all the desire to replicate yours, for sure will have to make you a true and very deep interrogatory about tha steps I have to do trying to replicate, but very difficult to equalize a true masterpiece like yours.

After all, with at least 1/4 or half the way nice of yours, I for sure will be more than happy.

Thank you very much for sharing your nice work and make us dream about what we can do if we want, with nice Old School Techniques very well done!!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

Edited by Luis Alfonso
  • Like 1

Got to admit I love the Beaufort and Beaufighter. Also anything to do with the battle for Malta.

If you haven't read it already, look for the book, Torpedo Bomber by Ralph Barker. Does a nice job covering the Beauforts efforts in the European theater.

• Like 1