1/48 spitfire vb...Malta

HI Rob

there have been threads here before on oil staining and gun staining

oil http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234945703-oil-stains-on-spitfires/

VERY oily Mk XII

Supermarine_Spitfire_Mk.XII_4.JPG

gun stains

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234913393-gunsmoke-stains-on-spitfire-leading-edges/

some useful pics on page 2

Have a read, there is no absolute 'right' answer, some staining will make for a more interesting ceiling model.

The ICM Spitfire IX kit comes with bombs and racks if you need some?

Regarding kill markings, maybe try on some scrap clear decal paper, as you can keep trying and not worry about making a mess.

HTH

T

• Like 3

So I did some weathering! Oil stains and gun staines. Tried my best with enamels and using troys ref..... what do you think?

20150625_215036_zpse5ggvevb.jpg

20150625_215051_zpswuieb8vx.jpg

20150625_215030_zpsfbms6ip9.jpg

20150625_215040_zpsral6b9kj.jpg

Could look a little over done, but it's should tone down after a matt cote?

Also sorry about picture quality and shape, my Samsung tab has started taking them this way don't know why

Cheers chaps

Rob

P.s. last day at old job new job Monday!

Edited by rob85
  • Like 5

Personally I don't think the staining is noticeably overdone and I have certainly seen photographs of Spitfire undersides more heavily stained than that...

Cheers,

Stew

I think Stew's right, and anyway they were probably too uccupied with surviving on Malta to do much aircraft cleaning.

Well done

John

• Like 1

Dirty Spitfire :)

Looks good Rob! (I'm back)

Have a good last day and good luck for next week!!

Also Ced if your back can you get cracking please .... I'm sat on my backside doing jack so need entertainment

Rob

• Like 1

So I did some weathering! Oil stains and gun staines. Tried my best with enamels and using troys ref..... what do you think?
Could look a little over done, but it's should tone down after a matt cote?

Pretty good result Rob.

A couple of points, I'd have added oil stains after a matt coat, as oil is glossy, and it would be easier to clean off if went wrong.

I'd also suggest looking for some cheap oil paints, some from a pound shop or The Works

eg http://www.theworks.co.uk/p/paint/14-oil-colours-paint-set/5052089006621

would be fine, and experiment using them for oil stains, and for washes.

For washes try getting liquid lighter fuel, as used in Zippo's, it basically 'light petrol', a low molecular weight hydrocarbon, because of this it's very thin, so flows well for capillary action, and evaporates really fast.

You can use other thinners, for finishing modeller's purposes then artist grade thinners may be worth buying, DIY white spirit is a bit greasy and stinks.

I have a modelling DVD, picked up cheap on the sale pages, and a chap uses neat oil paint and the edge of a palette knife to add oil stains to Bf109.

The oil paint can also be used to make 'dot filter' type washes which I have seen used to great effect.

here's an interesting discussion on this method

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/thread/1330533731/Oils+for+dot+filter+question

But if you put 'dot filter paint' into google you will get a load of hits, it more used by the Armour builders, but as the linked thread shows, has applications for aircraft as well.

HTH

T

• Like 1

Right oil paints.... got it.... lighter fluid.... need to get..... I don't trust myself not to blow me up troy but at least I would go out with a bang! (Get it!)

Your pointers and tips are why I did this wip so thanks for sticking with me!

Last day at the old job and after many hugs off people I am gone.... and the ones that liked me (the ones that were actually good at there job) got me the below

IMG_20150626_145224_zps1bwtngjs.jpg

IMG_20150626_145240_zpsmkynbtb7.jpg

IMG_20150626_141515_zpsvchntp7p.jpg

And the icing on the cake!

IMG_20150626_155410_zpsxfsvq8a4.jpg

Now, airfix are missing a trick.... They do not actually do vouchers! However it did create a rather amusing situation, I work with girls.... lots of girls.... between the ages of 18-28 mainly which is a very young work force, In fact younger than most shops! They were so hell bent on getting some sort of modelling related voucher that one, a pretty 22 year old who is very into her fashion and keeping up with the Kardashian's, joined the new airfix forum to ask.... when she said it nearly made me die! Good job she didn't post a picture of herself.

What a good bunch shame they don't work in my next job as they will be missed.

Rob

Oh yes sorry no spitfire for now let's see what the weekend brings eh?! If I can move after mud run I will get on with it.

P.s. I am not some fat knacker..... but I do love to snack.... something that will no doubt come back to bite me on the backside as i move through my 30's

Edited by rob85
  • Like 8

Awww that's nice Rob - always great to get a good send off - and they got the right scale Hurri! :)

Wine, snacks and modelling, a man after my own heart... and if I'm anything to go by it will "come back to bite me on the backside"... an ever increasing backside!

• Like 1

Well yes, its went well cheer! I decided afterva long absence from any sort of running that I could still keep up with my mates 15 year old son over 5k.... Mud was thigh high in a lot of bit and either hilly.... He beat me! But only by 2 mins, 41 mins in total!

Off to collect my new suits for work, then rest.

I would like to say I I will get this finished tonight... But I can't promise that.

Also I hope you all had delightful weekends!

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 1

Cheers mg, I did indeed leave some very nice people behind which is sad!

However there are some I was more than happy to leave....I will keep in touch with the others!

There may not be any progress tonight.... I'm feeling it a bit now

Rob

• Like 2

"I'm feeling it a bit now" - sorry to interrupt Rob... just wanted to wish you good luck for the new(ish) job tomorrow (fnaar fnaar) :D

• Like 1

Aww Rob that was a nice gesture by your workmates... the nice ones, anyway :D - I'm sure you will make equally good friends in your new job.

And well done on the Mud Run too, I believe I could probably still keep up and possibly even beat a 15-year old, but only if I was allowed to shoot him in at least one foot first.

Hope you don't ache too much now, or in the morning...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3

Lol, the thought did cross my mind.... not that I'm competitive. Most annoying this was people slowing in front of you once you have a pace going! Do they not know it's hard to get that back!

Cheers for the luck, hopefully it will not be needed.... actually excited about starting which is not the norm

Rob

• Like 1

So chaps!

So far tonight I have had to put the kids down then put my suit away (yes it's novel for me as it's been a while since I even owned one) then used the below

20150629_193401_RichtoneHDR_zpsoh0qlfp6.

And made this

20150629_193438_RichtoneHDR_zpsgz4dnvlc.

Not as clear on here as in real life but i'm happy!

I am going to do a bit more pastel work high lighting some chipping, add the tail wheel then re attach the arial (ced I did not have the luck/skill you had with you vb ), then a RFI. Un less you wise chaps know of anything I have missed? I have decided not to do it with bombs as I will be using them on the hurricane. .....

One last bit I have picked my £60 of model aircraft! Let me know you thoughts

New tool bbmf airfix (Lanc, spit xix, spit iia)

Hasegawa frank KI-84

Revell Hudson i/ii

Hasegawa p-47 d thunderbolt

Airfix pby-5 a catalina (old un-detailed kit but could be a good project.... and I just remember building it when I was younger and loving it!)

Any way I hope your all having a whale of a time! My first day at the new old job and very happy to be back.... right choice made

Rob

• Like 5

Good haul there Rob, the BBMF in particular, but it sounds like you have no illusions about the Catalina... the Hasegawa's should go together well. The Revell Hudson is I think an ex-MPM kit and has a reputation for being a tricky build, I think there have been a couple of successful builds of it on here though so perhaps you can refer to them before starting it... :hmmm:

Glad the first day of the new job went okay, it's a hurdle which only seems inconsequential when you have got past it :D

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1