1/48 spitfire vb...Malta

Transfers/decals look great! :thumbsup: (So does the spider - what scale is it? :rofl: sorry I'll get my coat :coat:)

Ciao

1/bloody big giemme! Well for the UK

Cheers for the comment giemme

Rob

• Like 2

Looking good Rob and as for the spider,......why didn`t you put a 50p piece alongside it to help with the scale? :shutup: .......scary!

Your kid sounds like a real star and congratulations about the job,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Looking good Rob and as for the spider,......why didn`t you put a 50p piece alongside it to help with the scale? :shutup: .......scary!

Your kid sounds like a real star and congratulations about the job,

Cheers

Tony

Gad zooks man he would have had me whole! Lol

Thank you very much Tony its appreciated. Especially after your support with colour etc and your fantastic builds

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

So to night I decided to mask the lettering! So did the masking with tape onto the model free hand, and it looked like this....

20150609_211415_RichtoneHDR_zpsuvrk5nsq.

I was actually rather pleased... than I thought for a bit a realised bugger, I have put the roundels too far forward which means the lettering it to far forward so the little 't' will be under the corner of the forward canopy... to far forward. Too late and not in my ability to change so I pressed on.

And this happened

20150609_212746_RichtoneHDR_zpsmm9el5gc.

Jess f..........lipping christ ( in they words of my grandad, roman Catholic for the tip) What happened there I sealed to stupid thing loads and it's cured for a bloody week!!

The little t was painted free hand happy enough with the big t and n just need a touch up *

I have lost moral to do the other side so I am off to start a typhoon. ...

Rob

P.s. anybody know of any 1/48 raf roundels as i have one the one set.... and that's in the above 😭. Next time mask then decal!!!

• Like 2

Rats Rob, sorry to see that mate :(

It's one of those WWND moments - I think he'd make up some masks with a circle cutter and re-spray the roundel (Nigel)?

I'd probably bodge it with a mixed paint and call it 'weathering' :)

What's that tape you're using? Could that be the problem? I'm sticking to Tamiya now (see what I did there? Oh suit yourself :D )

• Like 3

Well, your effort certainly wasn't wasted Rob. I, for one of many to come, am absolutely impressed with what you did there. That is some modelling skill above and beyond my friend.

Press on in the spirit of the Heatheans.

• Like 1

Cheers chaps, I have cracked open a bottle of new Zealand sauvignon so I will be ok by the end of that...

Ced.... I think circles are a bit beyond me right now, I my buy a compass cutter and give it a go one day.... definitely a WWND moment. THe tape is from .... ummmmm. ... well you see its ....ummmmm. .... wilko's. It has served me well in the past, it's softer so I get a bit more play in it, but it would appear it takes off decals.

MG... my knight in shining armour/bullet proof windscreen. Very kind of you to say and it has made me feel better. I am happy with the lettering and it gives me faith for when I come to hand painting the kill markings and maltas 1000th on this. And you post has reminded me to PM you with a question so, PM in bound

Rob

I'm gutted for you Rob, but you will be pleased to know that it only gets worse as far as disasters are concerned. The more advanced you get, the more adventurous you get with extra work and the bigger the piece of masking tape that's going to have you swearing for weeks. Things like this got me quite skilled in creative 'battle' damage! :whistle:

• Like 1

Masking and painting the letters was incredibly impressive, well beyond my skills. But unfortunately, decals are fickle bit...s of paper or whatever they are, and even when sealed, more often than not will lift if masked with tape. The weak adhesion of the decal is what's holding it to the model, and the clear coat over it isn't holding it on at all. Best to mask over them with a post-it note if one must, the advesive part off the decal.

• Like 3

Rob, the letters look fantastic. I haven't joined the world of masking markings yet, but I figured that I'd start with roundels as they seem simpler than squadron letters. So you were successful with the more complicated portion in my opinion, and I think you should give the roundels a go if you feel like it.

I won't complain if you start the Typhoon early though.

• Like 1

Masking and painting the letters was incredibly impressive, well beyond my skills. But unfortunately, decals are fickle bit...s of paper or whatever they are, and even when sealed, more often than not will lift if masked with tape. The weak adhesion of the decal is what's holding it to the model, and the clear coat over it isn't holding it on at all. Best to mask over them with a post-it note if one must, the advesive part off the decal.

I have to agree 100% with Procopius here: you've done a great job with letters, but no matter what you do, the decals have a high chance of coming off when masked over with tape (ask me how I know!?! - I had to brush paint a piece of decal in my F4-J build because of that, and it was laid down using thinned PVA glue and secured with Future ... :banghead: ).

I also agree with Cooken: give a go to cutting roundel masks, if you feel like it. That would make two of us making that experiment :winkgrin:

Ciao

• Like 1

I have to agree 100% with Procopius here: you've done a great job with letters, but no matter what you do, the decals have a high chance of coming off when masked over with tape (ask me how I know!?! - I had to brush paint a piece of decal in my F4-J build because of that, and it was laid down using thinned PVA glue and secured with Future ... :banghead: ).

I also agree with Cooken: give a go to cutting roundel masks, if you feel like it. That would make two of us making that experiment :winkgrin:

Ciao

Hmmmmm.... This build of one spitfire might take longer than stix's build of two!

I suppose under consideration if I was going to have a go anywhere it would be on this build and I do have the SAAF roundels to copy.... Hmmmm

Rob

• Like 3

Also thank you Edward and cookie... Your support is invaluable... However with the masking of letters I find this less hassle. With these i used the straight edge of the tape and any cutting was done by eye.

Edward and giemme, you are of course right and decals are just little held on by themselves which is not much... One for the future!

Rob

• Like 2

Hmmmmm.... This build of one spitfire might take longer than stix's build of two!

I suppose under consideration if I was going to have a go anywhere it would be on this build and I do have the SAAF roundels to copy.... Hmmmm

Rob

Absolutely nothing wrong with taking your time! :winkgrin::pilot:

Really sorry about your decal problem. They can be a real pain - both sets on the Spitfires had their 'moments'. I think you did a fantastic job on the letters. I've only tried masking for straight lines and such but, at some point, I will try and follow your's and giemme's lead with letters. Not sure I fancy trying roundels though.

I used to use normal household masking tape but, when I tried Tamiya masking tape, I really noticed the improvement in how it works. It can still be too sticky for some jobs and as Procopius said - it's worth trying to avoid using any masking tape actually over a decal.

I'm sure you'll get them sorted :fight: .

Kind regards,

Stix

Great tip from PC on using Post-it notes and that's on my list...

I'm committed to Tamiya tape now (cheap tape in between for large areas) and when I'm worried about adhesion I take some of the stickiness off by sticking the tape to my hand a bit and pulling it off*. Or on my scruffy trousers if I'm wearing them (don't tell Mrs B). Or on my leg if I'm wearing my shorts (don't try to imagine that, you'll have nightmares).

It also gets rid of your hairy hands / legs, but only in little strips. 'Spot the modeller' #3 :D

I did buy some 2mm and 3mm Model Craft 'Precision' masking tape at a show because it was cheaper; guess what - its performance is cheaper too.

Tamiya's worth the money IMHO - it saves time and pain in the end.*

* Dbl-E, score 1, fnaar fnaar.

My LHS is very minimal when it comes modelling accessories TBH. I will have to get some from hobby craft as I know they have some but its a treak out. I like the idea of the thinner types as they would be great from masking lettering round decals... I will have to get it right... All three of the hurris for the BofB GB need the lettering done??!!

Rob

So... something has just dawned on me.... I have a hase hurricane mk iic which I was going to build using early type roundels ..... hmm mm thinks I, let's check the sheet

20150611_195746_RichtoneHDR_zpsnpnvyyvk.

Hello!!

Now I know you are all very good at encouraging me to move forward, however cutting the roundels myself would mean me having to get new tools etc and a lot of delay... something for another build I feel...sorry chaps I would like this up on the ceiling before the BofB GB

So with the above I can say game on and got my backside into making the codes this week.

Cheers all

Rob

• Like 3

I can recommend Tamiya masking foil Rob. Low tack but good covering. I ordered mine via Amazon UK

:bye:

Same one I'm using, have a look at my latest update post if you like, showing how I did.

Ciao

• Like 1